AndyLL

***SPOILERS*** The Force Awakens Spoiler Thread ***SPOILERS ALLOWED*** You have been warned! DO NOT ENTER if you don't want to be spoiled

54 minutes ago, Phil in the Blank said:

ForceAwakens1.gif

So much more brutal, More emotional, more engaging, more betterererer.

The 3rd act was nearly perfect, IMO.

That battle is incredible. I love how Finn is pissing his pants while Kylo Ren is just moving forward calmly to kill him. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Harpospoke said:

I guess I'm the only one who has seen this happen countless times in countless movies.    I mean....we even had Poe "die off camera" in this same movie.  I have to assume everyone is emotionally attached to the sadness of seeing Han "die" at this point and are being willfully blind to the red flags we've all seen many times before.

I think they had him "die" off camera to leave the option open if Ford could be convinced to come back.

Okay, there is a distinct difference between Poe's ship crashing and we don't see his body to Han taking a lightsaber to the stomach and then falling into a pit.

You clearly see Han die.  If he was a jedi or a force user, I could maybe see your point, but he is just a regular dude what got stabbed with a super hot beam of laser, fell into a pit and then blown up.

• Like 9

• Community Manager
8 minutes ago, Harpospoke said:

I guess I'm the only one who has seen this happen countless times in countless movies.    I mean....we even had Poe "die off camera" in this same movie.  I have to assume everyone is emotionally attached to the sadness of seeing Han "die" at this point and are being willfully blind to the red flags we've all seen many times before.

Palpatine died off-camera. :ph34r:

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, CJ Ren said:

The truth ladies and gentleman. Harrison Ford made sure he would die in this one.

Disney: Harrison, we want you to come back for more Star Wars.

Ford: Okay, pay me a lot of money.

Disney: Done.

Ford: And I'm only doing one. That's it. No more.

Disney: Um.

Ford: Make sure you kill me.

Disney: O--kaaaay.

Ford: And not one of those "he fell down a hole" deaths where there's ambiguity. Big. Right there. On screen.

Disney: Dead dead?

Ford: So there's absolutely no questions.

Disney: Fine. How would you like to go?

Ford: What's the deadest I can be?

Disney: We can stick a lightsaber through you.

Ford: Now you're talking. But that's not enough.

Disney: Not enough? It's a lightsaber through the heart!

Ford: Han Solo needs to be deader than Scott Walker's presidential hopes.

Disney: Stabbed by a lightsaber and then you fall down a shaft?

Ford: What did I just say about falling down holes?

Disney: Falling down shafts is a Star Wars tradition! The Emperor didn't come back from that.

Ford: The Death Star also blew up around him.

Disney: True.

Ford: Can you do that for me?

Disney: Blow up a Death Star around you?

Ford: Yeah. 

Disney: *furious rewrites*

Ford: But bigger.

Disney: Bigger?

Ford: Yeah. Make it go supernova.

Disney: *sigh* Fine. You've got a deal.

Ford: And a lot of money.

Disney: Yes. That, too.

Ford: Glad to be back!

• Like 21

1 minute ago, Damien Spock said:

Ford: And not one of those "he fell down a hole" deaths where there's ambiguity. Big. Right there. On screen.

Disney: Falling down shafts is a Star Wars tradition! The Emperor didn't come back from that.

This is probably closer to the truth than we think :ph34r:

• Like 3

So finally saw the film (I was supposed to see it on Thursday originally). Best Star Wars film by far but then again I have never liked to others that much. But it seems like finally they have made a Star Wars film to my taste. Nice to have a new franchise to be a fan of now, expecially since Hunger Sgames has ended.

• Like 5

• Community Manager

By the way, I'm not sure I buy the TFA remade ANH beat-by-beat. I mean if it did, then it sure rearranged the beats. I'd say TPM is actually far closer to ANH than TFA is in terms of formula and story structure. You can follow TPM and ANH's beats and they line up surprisingly well (TPM does add the Coruscant scenes between the "stuck in Tatooine/stuck in Death Star" phase and the "final battle at Death Star/final battle at Naboo" phase and TPM switches the Major Character Death beat from the "stuck in Tatooine" phase to the "final battle at Naboo" phase but other than that) but...TFA is very re-arranged. I could be wrong, I'm going by the memory of my only watch of TFA so far...

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Damien Spock said:

It's true, ALL OF IT. 

• Like 7

37 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

It's true, ALL OF IT. 

Make sure I get a flashback in episode 8 & 9 just for one scene that is about 10 seconds long.  Pay me 10m for those 10 secounds. 

Edited by Darth Dexter of Hoth
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, Darth Rallax said:

Okay, there is a distinct difference between Poe's ship crashing and we don't see his body to Han taking a lightsaber to the stomach and then falling into a pit.

You clearly see Han die.  If he was a jedi or a force user, I could maybe see your point, but he is just a regular dude what got stabbed with a super hot beam of laser, fell into a pit and then blown up.

We didn't clearly see Han die.    We clearly assume Han died.   ...And then he died off-camera.    That's the #1 red flag in movies.    This is not something I made up about movies....we all know this.

Just spoke to the gf and she had a similar reaction.   Didn't want to hear it.   She cried out audibly in the movie theater when Han "died" and doesn't want to let go of that.

58 minutes ago, Darth Water Bottle said:

Palpatine died off-camera. :ph34r:

Exactly....now you are getting it.

I wrote this up yesterday but it crashed after I hit reply so here we go again.

My thoughts on the relationship between the New Republic, the Resistance and the First Order.  This is after seeing TFA twice and all the other films multiple times but never any other Star Wars material.  

After the events of ROTJ and the death of the Emperor there arose a power vacuum in the Galaxy.  There was a re-establishment of the Republic of old as the New Republic.  Out of the ashes of the Empire rose the First Order.  It seems these two sides were for a time roughly equal in size so what ensued was in effect a Cold War.  Neither side was powerful enough to defeat the other.

However, the Resistance grew within the territory of the First Order to fight the dark side of the Force that was embodied by the First Order.  It also seems like the First Order could no longer source clone Stormtroopers so they resorted to kidnapping kids and training and conditioning them to be Stormtroopers.  The New Republic covertly supported the efforts of the Resistance but in public denied any association.  The First Order new the New Republic was supporting the Resistance but until the completion of the Starkiller they weren't strong enough to do anything about it.

All this seems pretty straight forward and I don't think there needed to be reams of expository dialogue to explain it all.  May be the opening scroll could have included the following line.

"A weak New Republic covertly supported the Resistance in their struggle against the dark side of the Force, the First Order."

• Like 1

Just got back from my 3rd viewing.  Like it better every time.

Some additional comments...

They are dropping some hints about Rey:

When Ren is told that bb8 escaped with the help of the traitor he went psyco with the lightsaber.  But when the officer told him that they were helped by a girl he almost killed the officer.  That reaction didn't make sense.

When Rey ran off after the flashbacks Max turns to Hans and asks 'who is that girl'.  

She had a doll wearing a x-wing pilot uniform.

She had a rebel/resistance pilot helmet.  Couldn't quit catch the number on the side... starts with 32 I think.

I now believe Rey and Poe are twins...