AndyLL

***SPOILERS*** The Force Awakens Spoiler Thread ***SPOILERS ALLOWED*** You have been warned! DO NOT ENTER if you don't want to be spoiled

6 minutes ago, Dr 3va2an said:

Plus if they had a second child, you'd think he or she would have come up at some point during their conversations about Kylo (B)ren.

There is...not another.

• Like 2

Watched it again today. Probably enjoyed it more this time around... the film is just incredible beautiful to look at, and the action scenes are remarkably well crafted, but I missed the atmosphere of the first session. Not to mention everytime I see Kylo Ren I think it's Revan on screen and that just put a smile on my face.

Edited by SofNascimento
  • Like 1

Here's a random idea based on nothing:

Luke wasn't just in hiding/self-exiled out of shame, he was also purposefully waiting for Rey to show up, the idea being that he trained the new Jedi generation and Ben Solo before both he and they were truly ready for it. In the aftermath of that failure, he trusts in the Force that when the time is right, it will awaken in Rey and she will be guided to find him, and his years of self-reflection will have given him the wisdom to truly be a good teacher.

I will take off my tinfoil hat now.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SofNascimento said:

Not to mention everytime I see Kylo Ren I think it's Revan on screen and that's just put a smile on my face.

Same. Knights of the Old Republic was like a little beacon of light during the dark times.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

1) Yikes... and ew.

I didn't mean Luke with Leia you dirty old man.

I meant Leia was involved the the hiding of the twins.

So... off to read up on some of the new cannon

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Darth Water Bottle said:

By the way, I'm not sure I buy the TFA remade ANH beat-by-beat. I mean if it did, then it sure rearranged the beats. I'd say TPM is actually far closer to ANH than TFA is in terms of formula and story structure. You can follow TPM and ANH's beats and they line up surprisingly well (TPM does add the Coruscant scenes between the "stuck in Tatooine/stuck in Death Star" phase and the "final battle at Death Star/final battle at Naboo" phase and TPM switches the Major Character Death beat from the "stuck in Tatooine" phase to the "final battle at Naboo" phase but other than that) but...TFA is very re-arranged. I could be wrong, I'm going by the memory of my only watch of TFA so far...

TFA does hew close to Episode IV in structure while throwing in bits and pieces from V & VI just to mix things up. The similarities to the OT took away from the freshness and unpredictability for me. Abrams seems to specialize in taking over franchises, updating characters and plots just a bit, switching things up just enough to make it interesting.

TFA wasn't terribly original, but it's a good film. Excessive call-backs to Lucas' first three films became a hindrance after a certain point. Nostalgia can only carry the story so far. I'd rate it 7.5/10, with points off for lack of creativity. 

• Like 1

After thinking it over, some positives and negatives:

-All the nostalgia moments were played pitch perfect, except maybe for Luke not having any lines.  That probably would have spoiled the end if he did, though.

-I loved tough scavenger Rey.  Less fond of Force powers outta nowhere Rey.

-Finn was my favorite character and I loved his disillusioned soldier story arc.  Wish it paid off more, but that'll probably be addressed more in the sequels.

-I expected a fresh Star Wars story, so I wasn't fond of the ANH retelling.  They did it well, but that and the similar locations to the Original Trilogy (Sand planet!  Forest planet!  Ice Planet/Space Death Ray!) made the film feel redundant compared to the rest of the saga.

-Even with the masses of computer effects, the film felt very organic (something the prequels never did well).  It's part staging and part writing.

-The final lightsaber battle sucked any menace out of Kylo Ren.  He should have beat down both Rey and Finn, only for Chewie to come to the rescue on the Falcon as the planet disintegrates.

The film isn't on ANH or ESB level, but is very fun and a step above ROTJ, especially in dialog.  I hope for something more innovative and refreshing with Rogue One and Episode 8.

Edit:  Oh, and Rey is Luke lost daughter.  Skywalker theme and all that.  Maybe Luke's wife was killed when Ren rebelled and he left Rey on an obscure planet with nothing to trace her back to him.

Edited by Tubes
  • Like 2

My goodness, the "Rey couldn't have beat Kylo Ren" stuff is probably the most annoying post TFA storyline, unless somehow the "Han died offscreen" camp gains momentum. It's established early on in the movie when she beats up the gang members that she is skilled in hand-to-hand combat. These same people probably would have watched ANH and said "How could this untrained pilot possibly take down this super station without using his computer?!?! It doesn't make sense!!!!!!!" Luke was established as being a crack shot and decent pilot early on in the movie, and he's able to use the Force to transcend these skills and nail the shot. In this one, Rey is shown to be a street-tough survivor who knows how to fight, and she lets the Force in and wins. They're both able to win because she embraces the Force and uses it to guide them. They even spell it out for you when Obi says "Use the Force" and Rey stops and closes her eyes and says "The Force..." THAT'S THE ENTIRE POINT OF THIS FUCKING FRANCHISE. The entire saga is based around ordinary individuals using the Force to do amazing things. And even then, she barely beats a critically injured guy who just killed his dad and is actively trying to recruit her. This is some mentality straight off the IMDB boards or something.

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

My goodness, the "Rey couldn't have beat Kylo Ren" stuff is probably the most annoying post TFA storyline, unless somehow the "Han died offscreen" camp gains momentum. It's established early on in the movie when she beats up the gang members that she is skilled in hand-to-hand combat. These same people probably would have watched ANH and said "How could this untrained pilot possibly take down this super station without using his computer?!?! It doesn't make sense!!!!!!!" Luke was established as being a crack shot and decent pilot early on in the movie, and he's able to use the Force to transcend these skills and nail the shot. In this one, Rey is shown to be a street-tough survivor who knows how to fight, and she lets the Force in and wins. They're both able to win because she embraces the Force and uses it to guide them. They even spell it out for you when Obi says "Use the Force" and Rey stops and closes her eyes and says "The Force..." THAT'S THE ENTIRE POINT OF THIS FUCKING FRANCHISE. The entire saga is based around ordinary individuals using the Force to do amazing things. And even then, she barely beats a critically injured guy who just killed his dad and is actively trying to recruit her. This is some mentality straight off the IMDB boards or something.

But you don't understand. Kylo Ren's Force level is at least an 8.4, and Rey couldn't be 4 or 5, max. It just doesn't make any logical sense.

:ph34r: 
  • Like 6

4 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Da Troof Ewokens in this post.

Wait a minute. Are people honestly saying that Rey shouldn't have beaten Kylo Ren? The same Kylo Ren who showed time and again that he was an emotionally out-of-control infant with zero self-confidence? The little bitch who spent the entire movie trying to find ways to prove himself a worthy successor to his equally weak and easily dominated grandfather?

Ren didn't have enough control of his own emotions to control the Force. Hell, Rey earlier not only resisted Ren's attempt to invade her mind, but she was able to turn the tables and muck around in his empty skull. Rey proved that she was gaining more control of her abilities by the minute, while Ren was quickly losing it. The reason Snokius or whatever was able to turn Ren is because of his weakness. That same weakness along with Rey's skill enabled her to defeat him.

• Like 3