#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens (2015)

Star Wars The Force Awakens (2015)  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Star Wars The Force Awakens

The fact that Rey, who had absolutely zero knowledge of the force at the start of the movie and absolutely zero training was able to pull off Jedi mind tricks and beat a trained Sith in a lightsaber duel was just silly, I actually laughed at that.  I think the way the plot unfolded was too similar to ANH.  I probably won't see this again until a few days before Episode 8 comes out. 

Overall, not great, not bad, just okay.  But after the utterly disastrous prequel trilogy, I guess thats more than enough.  Future of the franchise definitely has potential from here on.

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 6

Pros:

* Best acting of all SW films. Likable characters.

* Excellently paced. Character building moments amid great action scenes

* FX are second to none (especially Maz Kanata)

* Great plot

Cons:

* Kylo seems to have some pretty formidable powers for someone half-trained (freezing a laser bolt in mid-air? cmon)

* Lack of a SW quality score

* So....were Leia and Han divorced or something?

Not sure yet:

Maz Kanata, Captain Phasma and Max Von Sydow's characters seemed rushed. I hope we'll see more of the former, otherwise, throwaway.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

It's pretty fun throughout and the new actors bring a lot of energy and enthusiasm to the table, but yeah, the movie does basically nothing to further develop the universe in any meaningful way. Literally everything we see is a riff on something we've seen before. Technically it's less flawed than the prequels, I suppose, but those actually dared to be their own movies. 

It would have been interesting if Disney had let Lucas write the overall story arc with JJ/Kasdan just doing the dialogue and beats. We would probably have gotten something more inventive and new. I agree about the ANH retreads. With that said, it worked for me. Not the best or 2nd best but still in the upper echelon of Star Wars films and for that, I'm grateful.

• Like 1

As a character-driven film it works completely. 

As a cinematically driven film it's super interesting for its first third and despite some later flashes mostly settles into boring visuals.

As a plot driven film... it's a J.J. Abrams movie, so...

As a Star Wars movie it left me unfathomably excited for what Rian's got in store. 

• Like 12

44 minutes ago, lilmac said:

* So....were Leia and Han divorced or something?

They stated that Kylos turn had taken a huge toll on their relationship and Han went back to doing what he did best, which was being a smuggler. I thought that part worked great but I am sad that there won't be any more Han & Luke scenes. I guessed that would happen but they still made it emotional.

Hearing Han recollect his experiences with him during the "those stories scene" was special though.

2 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Hearing Han recollect his experiences with him during the "those stories scene" was special though.

I was disappointed in that scene.  I thought Han would be prompted/compelled to say those line based on Rey/Finn questioning the events in the past.  Instead he offered it up.  Felt like an editing room scene. 

12 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

They stated that Kylos turn had taken a huge toll on their relationship and Han went back to doing what he did best, which was being a smuggler. I thought that part worked great but I am sad that there won't be any more Han & Luke scenes. I guessed that would happen but they still made it emotional.

Right, I just wasn't sure about the actual nature of their relationship. Hopefully we'll get more details into the reasons why Kylo turned to the dark side. I do hope we see him turn fully to the light by the end of Episode IX.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, lilmac said:

Right, I just wasn't sure about the actual nature of their relationship. Hopefully we'll get more details into the reasons why Kylo turned to the dark side. I do hope we see him turn fully to the light by the end of Episode IX.

I am guess he going to opposite of the Anakin story line.  

Yes it was his first mission. 

So the movie started and I cried when "STAR WARS" came flying through the screen. That moment alone was worth it. 

The first shot of the film is fucking amazing, perfectly reminiscing the first film. 

Right from the begining scene you could relate to Rey and feel her yearning for something more, it mirrored Luke perfectly. Plus it helps that she is absolutely adorable. 

Kylo Ren was a solid villain, glad he wasn't just a complete Vader re-tred. There has been so much in the other 6 films about resisting the Dark Side and  for some reason I found it oddly interesting that this character is trying to resist the light. 

Poe was the fucking man, he felt like he just felt like he belonged in a Star Wars film. He had that 70's leading vibe. Oozes charm and cool if you ask me. There's some great longer shots of him taking out multiple fighters. 

Didn't use Captain Phasma enough (She should have been in a tie fighter during the final battle like Vader) the audience needed a face to put on the villain Tie Fighters in the last battle. 

Han Solo was actually Han Solo, was nice to see Ford caring. The scene with Kylo was very Empire. Actually all the settings feel straight from the OT films. 

C3P0's intro was PERFECT, they just got it 10000% right and it gave me a huge grin and sigh of relief.

Nice to see Chewy gets a good sized role and develops his character more.

The light saber fight was raw, and felt more natural than over stylized battles of the prequels. And Kylo's saber was sick, loved how uncontrollable the blade looked. 

Its also good to note that in a long time ago in a galaxy far far away they still have plastic surgery, Leia. 

Sound mixing was on point and just hearing all those sound effects again gave me chills. Editing and pacing were relentless, but the film was made sure to have fun from start to finish and left me with a smile on my face the whole time. 

The music was solid, its Star Wars how could you not love it? Lots of rearrangements and playing stuff different ways, not a ton of memorable new themes though of the bat. Excited to go back and listen to soundtrack in full. 

The scene on Solo's ship with those beasts and the dudes from the Raid felt like something out of Star trek not Star Wars. You land on an Ice Planet and have a beast chase you just for the sake of it. 

CG characters while understood while needed did feel slightly out of place. It felt more prequelesqe.

**Here is my disappointment. The really Muddled last 20 minutes I feel, blowing up the Star Destroyer lacked the build up and release of tension the battle of Yavin had because its clear the movies not wrapped up yet and they want the lightsaber battle to be the big bang at the end. Ultimately the light saber battle is broken up (Literally) which leaves us with a light cliffhanger and the subtle feeling of thats it? And while I love seeing Luke, having the coda just didn't feel like a Star Wars ending. 

The movie ends, knowing we are getting a sequel, thats its fault. It tries to give us the ending of A New Hope and Empire at the same time. I felt the film should have been made to work completely as a stand alone like A New Hope does.

Also Kylo Ren should NOT have taken his helmet off until the moment Han asks him too. Now that would have been cinematic and bad ass!

Excited to see what Johnson can do with Episode VIII.

A- (90)

We'll see if I feel the same after IMAX 3D tomorrow 

Edited by Jay Salahi
  • Like 7

People who have issues with Rey being powerful so quickly are usually The Martian fans, which makes so much sense they don't even know why.

And they'll feel stupid when EP 8 & 9 unfold.

And Luke could move a lightsaber in the intro of Empire.

• Like 2

It makes perfect sense that Rey can do what she does.  Like Yoda says, you must unlearn what you have learned.  Since we all know she is Luke's kid, why is it so hard to see that she probably had some training as a youngster?  She's also filled with Luke and Leia and Anakin's DNA, so she would naturally be gifted with the force.  Like Anakin in the pod races, Qui Gon remarks that he has Jedi reflexes, that's why he's so good in the races, he sees things before they happen.  That would explain why she is such a good pilot as well.  And she was obviously hidden on some remote planet for reasons that haven't been explained yet, but probably to hide her from Snopes and the other bad guys.  So her discovering her powers makes total sense.  Surprised this went over your head Ozy

• Like 6

It is strongly implied that Rey is part of the Skywalker clan. Left on a planet alone as a child, incredibly strong with the Force to the point that she is instinctively able to be half-way competent at certain things (and be a strong intuitive pilot as well), strong reaction with Luke's lightsaber that links visions of her being abandoned, a connection to Kylo Ren, and a vision of Luke himself. That said, if she is Luke's kid, then that should have been revealed in the coda when she finds Luke.

1 hour ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Felt similar to Ozy, Baumer. Didn't go over my head. Just thought the way it was presented kind of sucked.

This will be obviously addressed in EP 8&9.

Something is happening with Luke s lightsaber I am telling you.

I would put the "Rey grabs the lightsaber instead of Kylo" in a top 3 moments in the saga.

Plus, the lightsaber fight was rough & messy as hell, she wasn't a Jedi, cool & collected & virtuosic in her lightsaber moves ,she fought with her heart, courage & spirit with a little help from the Force.

The reluctance to believe in Rey in this very moment seems very "basic bro" to me like

"Lol, that young scavenger girl fights a Sith and wins ?

No way, this is lame, brews !!!"

She didn't even kill him.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Baumer Fett said:

It makes perfect sense that Rey can do what she does.  Like Yoda says, you must unlearn what you have learned.  Since we all know she is Luke's kid, why is it so hard to see that she probably had some training as a youngster?  She's also filled with Luke and Leia and Anakin's DNA, so she would naturally be gifted with the force.  Like Anakin in the pod races, Qui Gon remarks that he has Jedi reflexes, that's why he's so good in the races, he sees things before they happen.  That would explain why she is such a good pilot as well.  And she was obviously hidden on some remote planet for reasons that haven't been explained yet, but probably to hide her from Snopes and the other bad guys.  So her discovering her powers makes total sense.  Surprised this went over your head Ozy

She better be Luke's kid. because that is the only explanation for her insane raw power with the force.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr 3va2an said:

That said, if she is Luke's kid, then that should have been revealed in the coda when she finds Luke.

Luke saying nothing at the end was just annoying rather than teasing, but I guess yet another Father reveal would have been too much for one movie.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Menacing tone.

Star Wars is serious stuff.

I just realized something. she probably already had some training with the force, and was sent away for protection when Ben destroyed the rest of the Jedi hopefuls. and she blocked out the memories because of how traumatic it was, that and the fact that Kylo Ren was not well trained, and badly injured can explain how she maybe bested him. but Finn wasn't even force sensitive (that we know of) and was able to hold his own against Kylo for a time and even get a piece of him. which considering he was not even a very skilled combatant and was bested by a stormtrooper a day before is a bit of a stretch. bocaster wound or not.

Edited by Kalo