#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens (2015)

Star Wars The Force Awakens (2015)  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Star Wars The Force Awakens

5 minutes ago, IndustriousAngel said:

Finally saw it, 8/10 A- on first impression. A giant-budget feelgood actioner pushing all the right buttons, but going soft on logic, story and tension.

my favourite item: Rey - the spunky, crafty heroine is much more fun than whiny Luke was in Ep 4/5.

least favourite item: Deathstar nr. 3. I mean, honestly? Again?

btw I don't want to read through dozens of posts, much work atm  - who is this Rey girl supposed to be? Luke's daughter?

yes her being Luke's daughter is the prevailing thought.  There are some other theories out tehre, but yeah it is most likely they are dad and daughter

• Like 1

went to see it again 3rd time now , pretty good and man does adam driver slay me with his portrayal of kylo ren , really feeling harrison ford acting in this too, cooling down on rey though i think she shines most as opposite to kylo ren !

ps : i was doubtful about finn and poe but man its crazy obvious this trip around their chemistry is off the chart and easily read in a romantic angle lol

i've been wondering is that suppose to be coruscant they blow up? but that's where grandpa and grandma vader/skywalker met ...

• Like 1

Finally saw it and loved it. I don't think it's perfect or as great as ANH and ESB but it's much better than the rest including ROTJ.

Nostalgia/callbacks/ANH remake: That's the main point of debate about the film and I somewhat agree that it's the thing that holds it back from being truly great. There's no accident that the first 40 minutes of the movie are the more captivating. I feel nostalgic about Star Wars and loved many of the callbacks, but they were a few too many. Especially the Death Star (sorry JJ I meant Starkiller) should be something else since it was already overkill by ROTJ. But I don't agree that the whole movie is just a rehash of New Hope.

Old Cast: I really liked how they used the returning players. One of my main concerns about the movie was they they will be way more featured than the story demands because they're the biggest hook . But only Solo had a big role which was fitting because it was his sendoff movie, Leia was a minor character and Luke was the McGuffin. He was "present" throughout the movie without appearing at all. That was pure genius from the writers. Even C3PO and R2D2 did just cameos and let BB-8 be the robot star of the movie.

Great new Cast and characters all over the place: Oscar Isaac got the short straw scriptwise among the leads but even he was awesome,just by using his charm. Also characters that the script didn't had much time for this time like Hux, Captain Phasma and Maz Katana certainly made an impression with very little and I hope they 'll be more from them in the sequels. And don't get started on BB-8, he's so adorable it's not even fair to other robots. But the real slam-dunk is nailing 100% the 3 characters that matter the most for this new trilogy. Rey,Fin and Kylo. Daisy Ridley and Josh Boyega were immensely likable from their first moment and also had great chemistry, especially Ridley was captivating as a screen presence. The writers helped the actors as well, giving them clear and not agressively spelled-out arcs with beautiful minor touches like Rey who doesn't want to hold hands with Finn because "I can run dude wtf" or Kylo Ren's hilarious temper tantrums. The era of the prequels with mostly talented actors trapped in non-characters sleepwalking through hilariously self-serious dialogue feels like a bad dream after I saw this movie. 

Give Kylo some f@#cking space people, he has issues: I think he was a great character/villain addition to the universe. Star Wars can't really do again an imposing masked villain who is just pure menace, because he's never gonna be Darth Vader, it's not possible. So it was the right call to make him less threatening and more of a real character. I mean if you can't have a villain that's awe-inspiring and imposing, you can have one who is a complex character that the audience can care about. Of course Kylo must/will die at the end because killing the most beloved character in the saga is kind of unredeemable, but the audience is invested in him after TFA ends almost as much as Rey. We are not rooting for him but we care about what will happen to him next. 

Unanswered questions: I have a lot of questions but the movie did the right thing by not explain everything to death like the prequels did. That scattered backstory angle the script takes works wonders for one of the best moments, Han's Death. The scene is so tense and feels so big primarily because we don't have the details. We 're still struggling to piece together what exactly happened that led to that kind of father-son relationship when Kylo kills Han. It wouldn't have the same impact if we knew everything, especially since the conflict is introduced in this movie for the first time, it would feel like too much too quickly. It was a tie between this and the lightsaber duel for best scene in the movie and I also didn't really need to know that Rey is Luke's daughter to buy her use of the Force. For that matter I don't really need Rey to be Luke's daughter at all. Kylo gives the saga the generational connection to the previous trilogies you don't need Rey to be a Skywalker, too. Almost everyone seems 100% sure she is, and many will be dissapointed if she isn't but I'll be fine if she doesn't have any blood connection to the Skylwalker family. Maybe Rey's midichorian count is off the charts and that's the answer:lol:.

I think the sequels have room to improve and the movie is far from perfect, but it's also a creative triumph for JJ/Disney/Everyone involved almost as big as it is a financial one. The main goal of Force Awakens was to take all those people going into the theater to see Luke, Han, Leia and the whole gang again and send them out wondering what will happen next to Rey, Finn, Po, Kylo and BB-8. And it worked!

• Like 2

Finally got time to write up a review.

I've seen this three times. I've truly loved it more each time I've seen.  JJ Abrams executed the gameplan to perfection and show that Star Wars is in great hands. With all the pressure to kick off Disney's 4 billion dollar purcahse-he must be very proud.

I love the movie and it brings me immediately into the Star Wars world.  The feel of the movie is all Star wars.  JJ and Kasdan caught the perfect tone of mixing  lighthearted fun with classic larger than life drama that Star Wars always seems to pull off. 

The things I love:

*KYLO REN!  I have read in many places that the movie doesn't take any risks.  I would disagree especially on a few points.  Kylo Ren is an amazing and unique villain.  He is obviously capable of being the baddie of the galaxy after showing off his force/mind power to amazing extent.  That laser blast that he froze while having a conversation in the opening sequence- Fantastic!  But things get really interesting when he takes the mask off.  He is simply a broken down, insecure, young man with all the talent in the world.  It would be the equivalent of an emotionally broken 22 year old LeBron James who only cares about being as good as Michael Jordan.  His confidence lacks, he is instable (tantrums), and doesn't fully know who he is (good or bad?).  They couldn't win if they try to do Vader 2.0.  This is an amazing unexpected route to take and one that is going to riveting to watch in Ep. 8 and 9.

*Love Rey.  First off, Daisy's performance was great.  But I loved the growth we've seen in Rey that was a different arc than most jedi-skilled people in the past.  She slowly learned on her own (though who knows if she has been trained before), but her story will be incredible to watch.  The stormtrooper mind trick awesome.  The moment where the light sabre goes by Kylo and to her- a moment for the ages! 

*I truly loved about 8 different characters:  Han, Rey, BB8 (What a perfect addition to the Star Wars world!), Poe, Finn, Maz, Chewy (Maybe my favorite Chewy movie-perfect!), and Kylo.  This doesn't even count Luke and Leia who had limited time.

*Acting- Maybe the best performances in a Star Wars movie?

*Maybe the thing that satisfied me the most:  HARRISON FORD IS HAN SOLO.  What a way to go out.  He brought Han back on the screen the exact way you would think Han would be 32 years later.  The fun, humor, adventure of Solo is all there.  His chemistry with Chewy is somehow improved and he also has amazing chemistry with Rey.  Any scene with Leia was a tearjerker.  I am so happy for Harrison that he pulled this off in such a perfect way. One of the most iconic characters in movie history somehow got better.

*Other quick thoughts: The opening scroll-PERFECT, the opening sequence was great, everything on Jakku was wonderful, Rey's flashback-WOW, Maz was great (her comments about Chewy were hilarious), chemistry between all the character was fabulous (especially Finn and poe), John Williams?- enough said, and the lightsaber duel was absolutely sensational.

A few small nitpicks:

-Wasn't necessary to go with the blow up the Starkiller base.  Seemed overdone though it did have some great action scenes. That felt like a rehash to me.

-I kind've wanted a little more closure with Han's death but understood the movie needed to continue quickly.  Chewys scream was very sad and Leia and Rey's hug was very emotional. I felt better about the way things transpired in my 2nd and 3rd viewing.

I am so happy with this movie that they somehow pulled it off to such high levels.  I honestly gont chills running up and down my spine 4 times when I watched it and my love for the movie has only grown with repeat viewings.  The only STAR WARS movie that this movie doesn't quite compete with is Empire-and trust me, that is not a knock.  The Force Awakens is an amazing chapter that may only get better as the next two pieces of the puzzle come into play.

A

• Like 6

2nd viewing thoughts + observations

- I loved it a LOT more

- I appreciated the more obviously 'iconic' scenes. Rey summoning the sabre and Han's death were much more goosebump inducing on a 2nd viewing knowing that they were coming.

- I would happily watch an entire movie of BB8 and Poe interacting.

- it still drags a bit through the middle... Starkiller plot is never as exciting as it should be.

I can't wait to watch it again. That's rare for me.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Kalo said:

You want cousins(possibly siblings) to fall in love? :unsure:

first things first this is fiction , i cannot stress this major fact enough 

second it might be a shocker to you but first cousins marriages are allowed or tolerated in many countries like uk and france , quite a few states in america but i do believe they're quite frown upon and very sternly unencouraged!

but they hardly amount to 10% in western countries but is more common in muslim countries i believe so its relatively a rare thing and that's probably because cousins grow up together so they usually have a sibling relationships but you can't decide where/when feelings of romantic nature might pop up especially when said cousins weren't brought up together in that configuration!

this is the case for kylo and rey if they're cousins they haven't seen each other in a very long time , they haven't lived that way at all so its a possibility in fiction land , i doubt they'll go that route since disney is PC at its finest no kinks in the money machine is their motto 

if they're brother and sister yeah shit gets super icky and kinky but hello says GoT 's  Lannisters and Targaryens siblings...

again this is fic anything and everything is possible its not reality if you can separate and appreciate both in their respective spheres!

Edited by ladyevenstar22
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ladyevenstar22 said:

first things first this is fiction , i cannot stress this major fact enough 

second it might be a shocker to you but first cousins marriages are allowed or tolerated in many countries like uk and france , quite a few states in america 

but they hardly amount to 10% in western countries but is more common in muslim countries i believe so its relatively a rare thing and that's probably because cousins grow up together so they usually have a sibling relationships but you can't decide where/when feelings of romantic nature might pop up especially when said cousins weren't brought up together in that configuration!

this is the case for kylo and rey if they're cousins they haven't seen each other in a very long time , they haven't lived that way at all so its a possibility in fiction land , i doubt they'll go that route since disney is PC at its finest no kinks in the money machine is their motto 

if they're brother and sister yeah shit gets super icky and kinky but hello says GoT 's  Lannisters and Targaryens siblings...

again this is fic anything and everything is possible its not reality if you can separate and appreciate both in their respective spheres!

Why are you yelling at me? I wasn't attacking you.  and no it doesn't shock me at all I am well aware that it is legal for first cousin to marry in about half of the US. to be honest that's a bit icky to me personally, though sorry it's my american upbringing I guess. either way Disney would never go through on something like that. if they are not related at all the thought of them falling in love sounds kind of awesome actually. especially if Rey is a Kenobi. 

• Like 1

I loved it.   Loved Rey, Finn and what we got of Poe.  You were able to connect with them right off the bat.  Loved seeing the old characters even though some had no time.   Thought Kylo was a very complex villain, he's actually what I though Anakin/Vader would have been in the prequels.  I did think Hux was a little too Snidely Whiplash as a villain.  Snoke didn't make a big impression but I'm very intrigued by him.  Phasma didn't really connect though.  As for the similarities to ANH yeah they were definitely there but in the end I didn't care.  This is why I love this saga. This why I love movies.  A+

• Like 7

19 hours ago, Kalo said:

Why are you yelling at me? I wasn't attacking you.  and no it doesn't shock me at all I am well aware that it is legal for first cousin to marry in about half of the US. to be honest that's a bit icky to me personally, though sorry it's my american upbringing I guess. either way Disney would never go through on something like that. if they are not related at all the thought of them falling in love sounds kind of awesome actually. especially if Rey is a Kenobi. 

?????

wait ...whaaaat? meeee yelling at you ? where ? when ? how ? dude you just threw me for a loop there and here i thought i was being articulate in answering your post !

on twitter and other social media there are a few people hating on fans of this pairing , telling them to go kill themselves for liking this pairing , i personally haven't seen much because i'm very careful who i follow and just put them on ignore so i did feel the need to be very clear where i'm coming from and that i do make distinction between what i find ok in reality and fiction , i had to be similarly clear back when fifty shades of grey came out because you have this moral uppity police on social network that have a proverbial stick up their well you know and spend their time shaming people for liking what they like or screaming rape and abuse where there isn't or where its misapplied 

seriously though i was not yelling at you in no shape or form and can't imagine what made you feel so , tots puzzled.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ladyevenstar22 said:

?????

wait ...whaaaat? meeee yelling at you ? where ? when ? how ? dude you just threw me for a loop there and here i thought i was being articulate in answering your post !

on twitter and other social media there are a few people hating on fans of this pairing , telling them to go kill themselves for liking this pairing , i personally haven't seen much because i'm very careful who i follow and just put them on ignore so i did feel the need to be very clear where i'm coming from and that i do make distinction between what i find ok in reality and fiction , i had to be similarly clear back when fifty shades of grey came out because you have this moral uppity police on social network that have a proverbial stick up their well you know and spend their time shaming people for liking what they like or screaming rape and abuse where there isn't or where its misapplied 

seriously though i was not yelling at you in no shape or form and can't imagine what made you feel so , tots puzzled.

You got very defensive when for me making a half serious comment, I assumed you didn't believe Rey And Kylo were related when you made that post, I was just being difficult and playful I thought. and when you add exclamation points to your posts it seems like yelling or something I said clearly rubbed you the wrong way, which was not my intention at all, anyways sorry if I offended you. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kalo said:

You got very defensive when for me making a half serious comment, I assumed you didn't believe Rey And Kylo were related when you made that post, I was just being difficult and playful I thought. and when you add exclamation points to your posts it seems like yelling or something I said clearly rubbed you the wrong way, which was not my intention at all, anyways sorry if I offended you. 

no you haven't offended me what you have done now at this point is left me terribly confused so lets just leave this here and chalked it up to stuff getting lost in translation . 

ps: i nearly put an exclamation point there , i thought it meant highlighting a point didnt think it meant you're yelling or being defensive , online from my experience even here people are said to be so when they use caps letters . what do i know 

anyhoo moving on i was wondering who was the old man kylo killed in the village but saw an answer on youtube where i was watching theories on his behaviour  and things he did in the movie , some made me pretty sad saying he's unredeemable and that killing his father was his no turning back from the dark side his defining act turning him into a sith (aww now i'm scared to use exclamation points)

i guess i have a soft spot for the tragic hero and want to see it in him , must be the human in us always trying to see the best in people .

• Like 1

Having seen it three times, I'm confident that it works! Works perfectly as a crowd pleaser, and it paves the way for more exciting plot developments in later installments. The characters are strong enough to keep us invested, and the old and new elements blend together really smoothly. Rey and Finn are really excellent characters, and it'll be really fun to see them continue to grow. It's a high B+ from me.

The foreshadowing that Rey is Luke's daughter is hardly subtle, but I think there are a few ways it can go. It seems that Rey may have been a disciple of Luke before he vanished, but she may have been adopted by Luke if the people killed by the First Order in Rey's vision was in fact her family. It could also be the other jedis under Luke's training, but there are plenty of possibilities. A large connection is clear either way, and it may be that having trained so young, Rey had forgotten about her Jedi heritage.

So many possibilities!

• Like 2

First impressions, I'd give it a 77% (C+)

It was good, the beginning.... was...... james-franco-awkward-yikes.gif

I absolutely LOVED Daisy Ridley in this. She was the best part of the movie, tbh. John Boyega was great in the film, too. He sold it.

My favorite part was when Finn and Rey stole this guys ship and they had to make a quick escape. They make a good team.

I'm gonna have to watch it again to make a better review than this, lol. I watched it last night. I wasn't really WOWed by anything.

• Like 1

So yeah had my 4th viewing of this on NYE, nothing to do why not go see it one last time for 2015... haven't been yet for the new year but that's due to personal real life issues...

I'm still not bored by the movie so i'll probably see it a couple times more before it leaves the cinema but i do feel need to take a break from it , i'm like crazy obsessed with adam driver /kylo ren ,i'm going through his filmography alternating between movies and tv show girls 

I remember when it came out i watched halfway through season 1 , liked his character but thought they were all a lot very difficult to swallow so drop it momentarily and somewhere through season 2 airing i realized i still hadn't caught up so i dropped it for good ! NOW here i am breezing through it for his eyes only , dude did crazy job conveying kylo inner turmoil yet not enough to stop him from committing to heinous patricide . He's a beautiful mess !

oh nooo exclamaaation point that only serve to convey the dept of my fan passion for him 

PS: to each their own but i seriously don't get why people hate on the prequels as if it was a mob mentality , its like that jar jar binks character i didn't care for him but he didnt leave an impression on me either nowhere near enough to crystalize hate on him as if his existence was an insult to my viewer's one !

i find hating real people exhausting so hating on a fictional one nahhh

• Like 3

I enjoyed it but I didn't think it was a great Star Wars film. The story was too similar to ANH. The search for the droid, which propelled most of the narrative, turned out to not have any bearing on the threat to the rebel base or the final showdown. I think the film would have been better served to have a race to get Luke and drop the super weapon entirely. Now what's the First Order supposed to come up with?

Kylo Ren has great potential, and he was well played. The only thing I didn't like about Rey was her being a whiz with a light saber with zero training. We see she can fight but see no evidence she knows how to use a sword. The same could be said for Finn even though he's defeated. I thought Han's death was well done. I was glad that Han and Chewie were the only old characters to have any significant amount of screen time. Snoke did nothing for me.

The action was a mixed bag. The final battle was just boring to me. The sequence when Rey and Finn steal the Falcon was awesome. The duel between Ren and Rey was really good. 

B

As I said before the film unclear nature of the film make the audience curious and drives discussion around the film but also takes away from the film as well. 

Most likely in future films this will become more clear and explained over why events happened the way they did.

Also next film, keep Ren in the Mask, he is way better. 

Luke destroyed the Death Star without his target machine and just "letting go" as Obi Wan urged to do in A New Hope.  Luke had 5 minutes of force training on the falcon before he was able to do this.  It has been established in the series that you don't need massive amounts of training to do great things if you are in tune with the force.

Combine that with Kylo not fully trained, was just shot by a powerful bowcaster, and is an emotional trainwreck after killing his father- it's clearly not a stretch that she defeated Kylo after "tuning in" with the force whether she had previous training or not.