#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens (2015)

Star Wars The Force Awakens (2015)  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Star Wars The Force Awakens

Has anyone else noticed the similarities in TFA to Knights of the Old Republic. specially Kylo Ren's Helmet and Rey's hair/Clothing and even staff? is this just a coincidence could ren's face peace be from Revan? is KOTOR closer to canon than we think? my dream is to see a KOTOR movie, hope it happens. 

Darth Revan /by Rodrigo A. Branco #StarWars #illustration:

Darth Revan 

kylo-ren.png?w=600

Kylo Ren

Bastila Shan

star wars bastila shan | Star Wars Expanded Universe Bastila Shan Vc69 Etc - Daa:

Rey

star-wars-7-struzan-poster-full4.jpg

Or a really out there theory, what if Rey is actually a descendant of Bastila Shan? I know the odds of that happening our like almost 0% because most people would be like who? but you can't deny the resemblance and they both have british accents and there is a storyline where Bastila ends up with Revan in KOTOR. and they possibly had offspring together. 

1 hour ago, Blan Solo said:

Actually in the credits, Iko Uwais and I think Yayan Ruhian are credited as "Rathar Fight Choreographers" which gets me even more confused with their entire presence

Perhaps they helped design that sequence then, and that's why they get to show up in the movie? Idk. I agree that it's a strange choice if all they were doing is what they appeared to be doing. It's also perfectly possible that there was a part of the scene where they did have action to do, but it got cut.

3 hours ago, Salacious Tree Crumb said:

Perhaps they helped design that sequence then, and that's why they get to show up in the movie? Idk. I agree that it's a strange choice if all they were doing is what they appeared to be doing. It's also perfectly possible that there was a part of the scene where they did have action to do, but it got cut.

I just feel like JJ would've cut that entire scene but since it was the Raid cameo, he didn't wanna do it even though it's clearly a pacing issue but I can't presume

So thought i'd finally write something about this movie.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a darker movie but with plenty of laughs. Effects were great and the story was pretty good to but it does have plenty of flaws. 

Finn and Rey were absolutely fantastic. I loved those two. I was afraid as they were the new guys i would dislike them but they grew on me immediately. Good character development by JJ. Kylo Ren though i was not too impressed with. In the opening they showed him to immensely powerful as a Sith but then turned him into a brat with a temper problem. Especially when he removed his helmet. He just couldn't be taken seriously anymore. They tried to redeem his loss at the end to Rey by saying he needs to finish his training but i think the damage has been done. I know he will come back with a vengeance but sorry you lost to a newb. GTFO. Old cast was great though i found Leia to have no real role in the story. 

I thought the death of Solo was ok but i really thought (and hoping) it was going be Chewie until Ford stepped up on the bridge. There was sadness at that scene but also some emptiness because we still dont know Kylo that well and his relationship with his parents so i thought it lessened the impact. But still thinking as an old trilogy fan its sad to see Han go. 

As for the Starkiller, how the fuck does that get powered by the sun? Its a tiny planet. I can buy them storing the power in the core somehow but the energy coming through the atmosphere would destroy the ozone layer and render it inhospitable for life there. Hell it will burn everything to cinders. Anyways i thought the whole story about a deathstar 3.0 was repetitive and the whole finding a weakness in it like always was too easy and pathetic. What was the point of Captain Phasma? i thought she was going to be some evil storm trooper. Turned out she quickly turned the shield off as soon as she had a gun to her head. Nah sorry. No loyalty to the first order there.

I loved BB8! Absolutely fantastic addition to the movie and also soooooo cute. Poe was an awesome pilot no doubt but how the fuck did he get off that planet? People had a problem with Bruce getting back to Gotham but not this....loool

As for Snoke...i sure hope he is Plagueis. As probably the most powerful Sith lord it would add a whole dimension of danger and fear in this new trilogy. My main issue with this new story is that after the prequels you cant get a bigger story than the 'chosen one' (even if it was shabby). Kylo will never be more powerful than Vader...it would be stupid if he was as who can be more powerful than the chosen one? That's why Plagueis would be ideal as he was depicted by Sidious to be perhaps the most powerful Sith of all. I don't know, speculation as everyone else but i sure hope it happens as I am super excited for this new villains back story.

Rey is an interesting character and once those flashbacks started i thought she is either Lukes daughter or Obi Wans grand daughter. I like her being able to tap into the force and push back when Ren was interrogating her but after that they just made too easy. I got a feeling that maybe she was trained a little as a child by Luke hence why it came back to her so easily. Hopefully that is true because it made her look over powered against someone trained in the Force.

Finally i really loved the light saber fights. Even though Fin vs Ren or Rey vs Ren doesnt work; them actually bashing the sabers together looked dangerous and it seemed they actually were trying to kill each other unlike the prequel fights, who danced around instead.  

All in all i noticed the flaws in the movie alot but it didnt stop me from enjoying it.

i'll give it a B+

• Like 3

Divorced from the hype, it manages to be even better. This is my fifth time watching it, and it still fascinates me despite some obvious flaws. The prowess of the visual storytelling, acting, and original score might be some of the most underrated of 2015. It's a fantastic blockbuster, and an outstanding entry into the Star Wars franchise.

Updating my grade to an A.

• Like 6

Box office numbers aside, this is strictly a review of the film from my point of view. In terms of box office, it could have been Lucas sitting on the toilet for 2 hours, and it still would have made 2 billion worldwide. The true test of quality for a Star Wars film is how it stands the test of time.

As a huge Star Wars fan since the early 90s, this film was a huge disappointment (compared to very high expectations set by the original trilogy).

Was it a bad film? No, but it was extremely mediocre, and literally a "paint by numbers" film. Abrams has admitted in interviews that on purpose, they copied and followed closely many aspects of A New Hope when filming this movie. That's the first time this has been done with a Star Wars film. Despite the hate for the prequels, Lucas never EVER made a "paint by numbers" film.

The minute they announced Abrams as director of Ep 7, I had a gut feeling it would turn out just okay. Unfortunately it turned out even worse than my lowered expectations. From the time Disney bought Lucasfilm, to the release of Awakens, it's very clear Disney tried to rush to market a Star Wars film as fast as possible, to start recouping their investment as fast as possible. There is also plenty of evidence out there from insiders that confirm Disney cared little for the quality of Ep 7, but mainly wanted the movie out to market quickly so the Disney merchandising machine could start making mountains of money.

Awakens for me was a C- at best.

Onwards to Ep 8 and 9. In Rian Johnson I trust. If anyone can save this trilogy from mediocrity, it's him.

Edited by Fromthegrave
  • Like 1

Rewatched it a fourth time. A "D" for the film making. An "F" for the Star Wars film making. 
Apart from the overall uninspired environments, it's rather the film making itself that bothers me. As for the story, this film really feels like three or four steps back after the eclectic The Phantom Menace where Lucas handled not only the force, but also politics, love, psychology. But a story doesn't make a film, it's the frames and rhythm that ultimately tells the story. And what I miss in this piece of crap is the scene. George Lucas always seemed to understand the importance of the scene in his movies. This does not. 

• Like 3

After finally having seen it on DVD......the critics were right. This movie is very great. It captures the feeling and imagination of the original trilogy.

A+

I can easily understand why this movie became the highest grossing film, DOM-wise.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

53 minutes ago, Fromthegrave said:

Very surprised and disappointed you think so, but it is what it is.

Well, we all like what we like.

I love all the SW films btw....the lowest ranked film is 8.5/10 and that would be Clones.

Say what you want about the prequels. But if they were released 2015 they would generate almost a good 30 great GIFS (per film) based on the lines and the pictures from them. TFA has no such memorable line, nor does it LOOK very good. Ignore the nostalgia and see it for what it is. crap. 

• Like 1

I see TFA for what it is: A safe culmination of all the things that made the OT so groundbreaking, nearly completly ignoring the horrible, horrible Prequels (sry Baumer). And i love it for that. This movie needed to restore faith for this franchise and that worked out perfectly. It understood, what is quintessential for SW: Great characters, spectacular worlds and set pieces and the mystical aspect of its story. Of course there is a 3rd Death Star, another Luke-like protagonist and a (cuter) R2-D2-clone.

But honestly, im sad for everybody that dislikes this movie because of complaints like that. Rey, Finn and Kylo are superb editions to the universe, Han Solo got one last time to shine and i could talk all day about the greatness of the camera, lighting, cinematography, the music (Hail John Williams. Never die), the sound system and costumes. Ive seen it 25+ times since it came out and it never gets boring. And i might be a sucker for good looking and modernized movies, but its on par with ESB for me. Its not a perfect movie like Empire but i rate movies how much i enjoy watching them and TFA is just such a blast from start to finish.

• Like 3