#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens (2015)

Star Wars The Force Awakens (2015)  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Star Wars The Force Awakens

It's pretty fun throughout and the new actors bring a lot of energy and enthusiasm to the table, but yeah, the movie does basically nothing to further develop the universe in any meaningful way. Literally everything we see is a riff on something we've seen before. Technically it's less flawed than the prequels, I suppose, but those actually dared to be their own movies. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

It's called the Butthurt Syndrome knowing your beloved future franchise movie, whether that's TA3 or BvsS or even JL will not even come close to what this movie is going to generate and it pisses people off deep down to the point where the 1st viewing of this, they're determined to tear it apart piece by piece in an effort to quell the hype and unfortunately, it's not going to work and people just won't buy into this shit.. The movie is THAT good and as for all the complaining about too many nods to the Old Trilogy, that's too Damn bad cause there was no other way to go.. YES, The Prequels made $$$, but they were not what the fans wanted.. They just weren't... When people think of STAR WARS, they think of the Classic characters folks.. It's just that simple..

Not the case here.

Star Wars is literally the only movie franchise I enjoy. I can't stand Marvel / DC films, don't like Fast and Furious, I couldn't care less about Jurassic Park, I don't really like Harry Potter, hate Transformers, bored by Hunger Games... so what exactly do you think I am worried that Star Wars will beat? I love the SW brand, so why would I lie and say that I didn't enjoy the movie? I've been feeling shit all of today, it actually feels like there's a hole in my stomach, because I've been waiting so long to get back into that on-screen universe and I feel nothing but disappointment. It sucks that the film is not good (in my eyes) but its just the truth.

• Like 2

Liked it while I was watching it, but yeah, once I'd gotten over the fact that it wasn't committing all the sins of the prequels I found myself left with a just-ok blockbuster that didn't really leave me craving all the sequels it was so obviously created to set up. 

3/5

• Like 2

(Disclaimer: Wrote this in notes and can't seem to bring the font size to normal from a phone, oops) 

Desperately trying to break it down as much as I can but this is such a hard film to review. It'll be easier next week when I've seen it a couple times more. 

Plot - Hmm. Yeah. Whatever. It's almost like they tried to redo the familiarity of the Original whilst trying to introduce A LOT of new shit and found themselves caught between a rock and a hard place (or a Death Star and a Starkiller Base amirite?!). Ultimately it was disappointing and made it slightly harder to engage with certain scenes which were meant to be pivotal to the plot. I liked the ending though, it did make me want to see where it goes next. 

Kylo Ren - The villain I always wanted him to be. He has absolutely hilarious tantrums and still manages to keep his respect due to just to how ridiculously brutal he can be. The opening scene with him is immense. Hope he gets his mask back for VIII just because DAT VOICE. 

Rey - Queen. Called her having the Force and I'm glad it ended up that way, she's a delight to be around. 

Finn - Has potential and starts off well but then sort of fades away into the shadow of Han and Rey later. Ok but not as memorable as Kylo/Rey. Still looking to find his place I guess. 

Han - He was fun as always but everyone knew what Harrison wanted and it didn't surprise me he got it. He had some very good lines but seemed to sigh his way through most of it. THAT scene still hit me hard though. 

Chewie - His best movie to date, somehow... 

Leia - I didn't think she was as bad as some people make out but she didn't quite feel like the same character. She's meant to be a general but somehow seems considerably less headstrong than before? Hopefully it's addressed with Episode VIII. 

Luke - Haha. 

BB-8 - I mean where to start? I fucking ADORE this little ball. I almost burst into tears when it rolled up to and uncovered R2-D2. So many feels for a fucking droid. Hilarious. Absolute hero. 

Music - Hard to judge when you're trying to take in a brand new Star Wars film but I concur that it's a far less memorable score than anything before. Most of the really emotional cues are the old themes but hey, I'll give it a chance and a few more listens as it is Williams. I like the final track with Rey finding Luke (which I think was in one of the TV spots?). 

Setting - Two sides to this. It's a shame none of new worlds ever really startle or cause much sense of wonder as it does feel a bit 'seen it all before'. Desert, snow, yeah ok... On the other hand, that matters less when the whole 'look' of the film is incredible anyway. Jakku especially is shot beautifully, and any scene in which the Falcon or X-Wings soar is majestic. 

Lightsaber battles - Great! You definitely have to buy in to the fact that Rey can hold their own against Kylo Ren on her first attempt but hey, the force bitches. I guess Kylo is visibly wounded as well from getting a little shot at earlier. This will probably end up being my favourite lightsaber battle of them all (so far). It's gritty but more exciting than the OT's and it's almost as if you can feel the pain and struggle throughout. Rey vs Kylo will be a future 'classic' scene to me.

The film was really strangely paced as well but I'm finding it hard to describe. Ultimately I understand and see how many may be disappointed, but I really enjoyed myself and there's too much here to like and even love for me to say the same. So at the moment I'm still standing at a tentative A- 

Edited by Dan9
  • Like 5

Fun, energetic, extremely well-cast. Major characters well-sketched, broadly so. Didn't drag at all on first viewing, although some of the emotional moments felt empty. Almost all of them played on nostalgia rather than the happenings of this one. Not much creative juice on display here, it plays like a full-on remake of A New Hope. With some Empire and Jedi peppered in

It's table-setting, like someone said earlier in this thread. Effective, familiar table-setting. Feels a lot like ST09, a movie I thought would wear on me over time but I still enjoy a good amount

Let's see what you've got, Rian Johnson

• Like 7

I loved it a lot. Not as good as the best of the series (a bit too fanservicy at times, but not too much for me). Colorful and with the same energy as the original, definitely laying the ground for the new trilogy.

2 hours ago, Chewy said:

Fun, energetic, extremely well-cast. Major characters well-sketched, broadly so. Didn't drag at all on first viewing, although some of the emotional moments felt empty. Almost all of them played on nostalgia rather than the happenings of this one. Not much creative juice on display here, it plays like a full-on remake of A New Hope. With some Empire and Jedi peppered in

It's table-setting, like someone said earlier in this thread. Effective, familiar table-setting. Feels a lot like ST09, a movie I thought would wear on me over time but I still enjoy a good amount

Let's see what you've got, Rian Johnson

JJ & Kasdan probably thought out all the major characters' beats of EP 8 & 9 as Rey's flashbacks suggest and Johnson was in the writer s room.

Saying a Star Wars movie is a director s vision is a bit ridiculous to me, like Kershner & Marquand left anything more than their Star Wars participation ?

I know Kershner had a prolific Hollywood career though but did he do anything that compares to Empire ?

No and that is because he was playing in the Star Wars sandbox.

Edited by The Futurist

First impression is that I like it very much.

The good:

Beautiful movie!   So many shots which are epic and awe inspiring.   I would go as far to say it should be in the running for a Best Cinematography Oscar.

Good casting.   No one disappointed me.   Particularly great choices with Daisy Ridley and Adam Driver.   Ridley has some serious charisma and moves around like an athlete.   There is a grace to her...like a dancer almost.   Driver at first put me off due to his unusual look.   But I quickly became comfortable with him.   It also took me a few minutes to get used to Boyega and Issac, but they won me over eventually.  

Ford, Fisher, and Hamill looked great for their ages...especially Hamill.   He looked epic at the end rocking that Jedi beard!   Also really enjoyed the small role of Max von Sydow.   Something about that guy.   Andy Serkis does his usual great job bringing a CGI character to life....very intimidating.

Great use of FX.   Maz Kanata was about as well done as any CGI character I've ever seen.   She had personality and I totally bought into her.   That character blows away the likes of Jar Jar and Watto.   Give Lupita Nyong'o some credit too.   Nice to see the scenes not packed with FX shots....no "dense" in this one.   I could actually follow what was going on at all times.   The new cantina scene was really well done.   That's how Lucas wanted it to look.

Han Solo.   No problem here with his death.   I think it adds to Kylo Ren's character.   Ford finally gets his wish, eh?     ....Although....I'm not completely buying it since he dropped out of sight.   I'm leaving that door open frankly...I know how this works.

Big moments with Rey.   The crowd cheered when she got that light saber away from Ren and I was right there with them.   Thrilling moment.

Ren's motivation.   He's got a serious hero worship thing going on with Vader and I kinda like that.  Explains why he wears the mask...which I was worried about.   He can't really live up to what he imagines Vader was (no doubt inflated to godlike proportions).   He must have heard a lot about Vader growing up and I could see that leading to an admiration which went wrong and was exploited by Snoke.  Again...Driver makes this guy into a character with very little backstory or screentime.

BB8 is cute as can be and a cool twist on the droids.

Several funny lines I enjoyed very much.  "Still wearing the same jacket?"

Little homages.   From the cantina creature popping up in the desert, to Chewie picking up the "Obi wan robe" with a puzzled look, to the hologram chess, to Luke's training remote.   Just enough to make me smile without any eye rolling.   Oh...always like "I've got a bad feeling about this".   :D

Rey being the hero.   Really enjoyed when Finn asked her if she was ok at one point and she just looks at him with an incredulous look as if to say "Why wouldn't I be?"    And he kept trying to take her hand to guide the poor helpless girl and she was having none of it.    No irritating "falling down" stuff from this character....thank you very much.   I thought the scenes where she was impressing Han were well done too.   Of course he offered her a job.  Her personality appeals to me.   No nonsense and yet is empathetic when needed.  The boy in me can't help noticing she is sexy and charismatic too.

I like that Luke was saved until the end.  Totally works for me.

No Prequel stink anywhere to be found.   Finally a real sequel which fits the tone of the original movies.

The not great:

Is it possible I've seen this before?   Let's see....bigger version of the Death Star which they have to destroy at the last second.   Hmmm...not real creative.   I was kinda hoping they would fail to destroy it to throw us for a loop.    I mean...why not let that Star Killer stick around for a couple of movies?   Pretty cool concept.   Reminds me of how Marvel kills off the villain at the end of every movie.   Let it develop a bit.

The story moved...really fast.   Lots of stuff was crammed into the narrative.   Finn felt like he decided to rescue Rey really fast...I guess he loves her or something?     Would have liked to see Ren kill Han in the second movie to give it more weight.  Would rather they had a confrontation where it seemed like Han may have got to Ren a little.   Then when he killed Han in the second movie it would really pack a punch.  ...Kinda like the one scene except spread out more.   And Rey....really progressed FAST!   I like it...but how does she go from knowing nothing to being stronger than Ren in a matter of minutes/hours?   Even Luke took a couple of movies to get up to speed like that.

The Han Leia scenes.   I think I needed a stronger reason for why Han took off and would certainly like to see Leia react a little more strongly to seeing him again.

Not enough Leia.   Was hoping she would have followed through on the "You have that power too" stuff from RotJ.   Han is still out there engaging the enemy and she is left behind as a "general".    Meh...

• Like 1

Did I enjoy it? very much so. a great movie going experience. it was very fun with some great humor. and had a lot of great elements, but a lot of them seemed rushed or not fully explored. and it was kind of beat for beat A New Hope. look this movie was going to have backlash no matter what. was it perfect? no, heck in some ways it was just as flawed as the prequels. I did appreciate the nods to the EU. It's really hard to rate a movie that was this anticipated for me. but I think people calling it absolute garbage are bit extreme though. did it live up to my expectations? no, but I'm not sure it ever would have. but it was a hella of a lot of fun.. my opinion of it will probably fluctuate before I obtain a more cohesive opinion of it. for now I will say, it was flawed but I really liked it.

• Like 1

I thought it was terrific. Not too much of a stretch as a comparison, but since nobody has made it, I'll make it- this reminded me alot of Creed. It's great in a very similar way for very similar reasons. It's part reboot, part remake, part sequel, but it takes the structure and strength of the original and fills it in with excellent characters, inventive setpieces, and strong emotional beats. It's not a perfect movie- it feels far too breathless at times, and I would have liked a few minutes to flesh these characters out. Also, as terrific an actress Nyongo is, I thought her character and the entire scene in the bar felt hokey, rushed, and silly. But JJ knows what makes this franchise great, and he takes this universe as his sandbox to fill with inventive, propulsive fun and emotional moments. It's spectacularly shot and has real weight to it in terms of design. But where this movie really succeeds is the new cast and the new characters. Sure, they can be fleshed out a bit more, but rewatching ANH this week, they didn't REALLY go to extreme lengths to flesh those characters out, either. They gave them archetypes and let the charisma and chemistry of the cast make you love them- which is what this movie does. Boyega is so immensely likable. Ridley is a star in the making. Issac is magnetic as usual. Even Gleeson, who I've been critical of for his wooden performances in Ex Machina and Brooklyn, really steps up. He goes in the opposite direction of those stiff performances and just hams it the fuck up. But the highlight of the movie is Driver, who really does a fantastic, subtle job of alternating between psychotic, evil, vulnerable, and pathetic. I felt for the guy, and I hated him, and I thought he was badass, and I thought he was a punk. It's an exceptional multidimensional performance and the dude came through.

Most importantly, the establishment of this new world, and the terrific, terrific cast and characters, makes me excited as FUCK for Episode 8.

• Like 10

I give it a B+. A lot of enjoyment to be had in the film, and the new cast is well-chosen while the old cast is a welcome sight, but the film doesn't really slow down long enough to give any of them room to breathe and the narrative just kind of stops at the end, with no sense of payoff to anything. It's as guilty of sequel-baiting as any of the recent YA adaptations.  You may as well call it "The Force Awakens: Part 1"

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 2

I loved it so much. It started to build the universe for the trilogy I love the new characters. Finn is such a great character, plus John Boyega does a great job. Such great charisma. Daisy riddler is brilliant there is a lot of mystery with her character. Adam Driver as Kylo Ren is amazing. Poe is great and I wish he was in there more. The story is engaging, fun, the humor works. It does come across as a New Hope 2.0 but it works so well. Only complaints I had about the movie is Captain Phasma is kinda a waste of character. She served little purpose in the movie. I excited to see Luke and Snoke more in the sequel. So many questions left to be answered. 

5/5

• Like 2