baumer

Star Wars Tuesday - 37.3M (Tele/baumer bet for Wednesday drop is on page 24...much to learn one of them still has)

6 minutes ago, tokila said:

to me that depends on the monday hold on 28 Dec. I do agree Avatar is locked, probably 800m. That happened with this monday hold. The Jan 4 hold will determine if it can make 1 billion or not. 

Kids go back to school on the 4th.  It will have a big drop.

The question will be does the following weekend make up for that... in other words will it have drops like a family film.

• Like 2

That Tuesday range means TFA will comfortably pass Shrek the Third for #40 on the unadjusted domestic list.

To give an idea of where other goliaths were on that list at the time after five days:

#73 - Avengers

#79 - Jurassic World

#85 - Dark Knight

#92 - Transformers: Revenge of Puerto Rico

#94 - Revenge of the Sith

Anybody not listed was outside the top 100. DH2 was at #111, TPM was #151, and AOTC was at #160 after five days.

The three Raimi Spider-Mans all sit between #115 and #121.

Edited by ChiSoxRox
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, ChiSoxRox said:

That Tuesday range means TFA will comfortably pass Shrek the Third for #40 on the unadjusted domestic list.

To give an idea of where other goliaths were on that list after five days:

#73 - Avengers

#79 - Jurassic World

#85 - Dark Knight

#92 - Transformers: Revenge of Puerto Rico

#94 - Revenge of the Sith

Anybody not listed was outside the top 100. DH2 was at #111, TPM was #151, and AOTC was at #160 after five days.

The three Raimi Spider-Mans all sit between #115 and #121.

Is this with current gross or at the time of their run?

• Like 1

Just now, langer said:

Is this with current gross or at the time of their run?

At the time. On BOM's domestic list you can alter the date to see the list back then. It also drives home just how rapidly the opening weekends have ballooned in the past few decades. ROTJ had $33.7M after five days - putting it at #183 back then.

Edited by ChiSoxRox
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ChiSoxRox said:

At the time. On BOM's domestic list you can alter the date to see the list back then. It also drives home just how rapidly the opening weekends have ballooned in the past few decades.

Wow - very interesting.  Thanks for the info.  Really puts things into perspective.  

2 hours ago, doublejack said:

Strictly speaking you are not correct. I'm all in favor of taking the preview numbers out of the "real" / true Friday numbers. TFA is a perfect example as to why it makes sense. You can claim that everyone who went on Thursday would have gone on Friday, but the reality is that it is physically impossible. There were not enough screens to satisfy that level of demand in one day. The capacity does not exist at this time for one movie to haul in over $100M in a day. We've seen a few times now, starting with Avengers, what a maximum day and weekend look like. What TFA did was, more or less, what JW did just with a bigger preview, the same way JW was a minor bump over what TA did. If we measure what a film can really make in a weekend, and we mean all sellouts (or as many as reasonable) the max is about $210M in a weekend.

I'm not a fan at all of how previews are counted. It was one thing when they were limited to midnights, but at this juncture we need a new way to track them. Counting that as Friday money is misrepresenting reality. What's going to happen when movies start "previewing" on Mondays and Tuesdays. You know that's going to happen eventually.

I'm really most interested in seeing the numbers because that indicates how high the demand is for each movie.   So if Thurs helps demonstrate how high the demand is, then that's really what I want to know.   The really crazy people go on Thurs.   A large percentage of the rest of the world hears it was going to open on the 18th.   So if the 18th can't fit all the crazy people plus the normal people, then I'm glad to have a full picture of the true demand for "want to see it right away".