Dementeleus

Wednesday Star Wars TFA ACTUALS - 38,022,183

Just now, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

Where do you get that MENACE made 700M??? It grossed 432M Domestic, not counting the re-release.. 363M after 6 days is quite impressive..

It adjusts to around 700 so i assume thats where that number came from

The big winner (besides Disney) is Fandango(and other online presale sites). Not only did they rake in a ton of cash with all the presales, but now many people liked how convenient it was and will do it more often in the future. Many of them would not have tried it if not for the "if you want a seat better pre buy" Hype for TFA.

I say this because the theater was packed tonight, but the box office line was small. That tells me people are still pre buying, the difference is now it is just a day prior once they lock in plans with people. 

Edited by tokila
  • Like 3

Just now, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

This whole adjusted/unadjusted makes it look like the movie made more than it did when it didn't.. I don't believe for 1 minute that MENACE would've made 700M, especially with Jar Jar Binks: A character that divided the fanbase down the middle.. I don't buy it..

well adjusted is just how much the movie would have made selling tickets at the same price as today. Obviously if TPM were released right now it would go a lot differently due to different factors but using the adjusted number just makes the movies easier and more accurate to compare. Transformers 3 was not a bigger movie then the original release of Star Wars. Looking at adjusted they can then be more accurately compared. Using tickets sold would be an identical comparison but i assume since ppl are mostly here to track the dollars not tickets sold it makes it easier for them to use adjusted grosses

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KP1025 said:

I'd sure like to see his "source" from Mojo that is predicting $560-600 million domestic total. 

Maybe there was an very early article based on the bad summer numbers???? Or he/she read an 8 as a 5 based on bad sight? (and a 6 instead of a 9?)

1 hour ago, jandrew said:

To be fair to Kal, hes not completely wrong. It is possible. Every theater in America could spontaneously combust when TFA reaches $560...and there ya have it.

Yellow Stone ....

1 hour ago, The Panda Menace said:

That is true.  ISIS could start WW3 on Christmas Day and then nobody would be seeing Star Wars anymore.

...could errupt or...

1 hour ago, Kalel009Shel said:

Lol you internet guys never learned from day pm lol.  There is nothing to watch and once the first 2weeks dust settles,  we will see how this weaker copy of age fairs.  Lol your still losing the important race were to titanic  and avatar and losing to jpworld ww is also a possibility.  All always knows.  640 to 730m. 1. 6 to 1.8b ww.  Bite on that Jedis

I really do not understand why you think people here would losing it if Avatar 3 too makes record breaking money. I think your POV clouds your interpretation of the numbers already known and you seem to think others have the same way to handle numbers based on fandom like you seem to do. Hint: you are wrong.

Btw, I like both ~ franchises, Star Wars and (in a way to be) Avatar

1 hour ago, Kalel009Shel said:

Dude you think they are going to have original cast edge after this movies lol.  They will run from James Cameron's avatar 2 bigtime.  The sense memory experience of avatar sequels ain't no popcorn film like sw7. Let's see any day film go head to head with Cameron fans lol

Again, why not being able to realise a lot of people like both? My pupils like both, my RL friends like both (as far as they even watch Sci-Fi, a few do not watch Sci-Fi at all).

Beside that:

this is a Box Office forum, not a movie fan forum in the way so many other forums are

= the main reason and fun is to follow the BO details, including small releases, ww and so on. Like maybe the complete Liga of different sport types including financial background... and not only being a fan of one team

Maybe you are visitung the wrong forum?

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Shaldun said:

Come on, he can't fully believe it. Soon he'll say SW will stop at 200M$ (yes it will lose money)

I would just love to see an Avatar 2 vs Star Wars 8 fight to be honest. Obviously it won't happen, companies aren't dumb and both movies would suffer but that would be such fun to follow. And yeah Star Wars would won in media exposure, attention and box-office probably.

I think they both would win in media exposure but loose in money possible to make (a lot)

Just now, Darth AndyLL said:

You know another thing TFA is screwing up?  The charts I'm trying to develop for the Derby.  How can I display decent charts of the movies when TFA's numbers are so out of scale from the rest...

chartsnip_zpsjxtg3ybl.png

One more WTF fact for the night:

TFA is 74.8% of December's box office per BOM. That is the second highest of any month in BOM's archives back to 1982, only to Crocodile Dundee in September 1986.

It'll be interesting to see if Joy and company can bring that percentage down or if Star Wars' legs just dwarf them.

Edited by ChiSoxRox
  • Like 3

I was a fan of Avatar actually. Don't get me wrong, the plot is pretty formulaic and it's nothing special as far as the overall story and characters (could there be more 2 dimensional villains? Yikes!), but as pure adventure and visual spectacle, Avatar was amazing! If you can forgive its flaws, and just enjoy the journey and sense of adventure, especially in the incredibly well done 3D we saw in theaters, then you can certainly enjoy the movie for what it is. I actually saw Avatar 3 times in theaters. Even my 60-something aunt and uncle saw Avatar and loved it. That type of broad appeal helped it to its grosses combined with 3D. I'm not rooting against Avatar, I'm rooting for Star Wars.

I would be rooting against Titanic, though. Sorry. Was annoyed when Titanic beat ANH and was annoyed when it beat LA Confidential at the Oscars that year. Nobody cares about Titanic or talks about it now days except with box office related topics. I respect its incredible achievements at the box office and the remarkable run it had, but I'll be ecstatic to see Star Wars pass Titanic, unadjusted or not, still it will be a great moment. :P

• Like 6

@JonathanLB Welcom to the forums and it's really cool to have a member of the director's guild here...also cool that you have written two books.  Tele too works in the industry.  As for me, on a much much much lower level, I have written a book as well, not about film but a fictional novel.  Just throwing that out there.  So welcome aboard.

I think today it falls a typical Avatar like 32-35% but the weekend numbers are going to be ridiculous.  It's going to be nutty tracking it this weekend.

As for Kal, guys, the best thing to do is ignore him.  Yesterday I made a post where I told you he would do exactly what he is doing right now.  He'd talk admissions, gender gap, 4 quad and Avatar 2.  You can't win with him.  Just look at him as being Obi Wan from SW and we are all Vader.  Even if we strike him down with logic he becomes more powerfuil that you could possibly imagine because then he starts making up shit.  Just don't respond to his lunacy and maybe he'll go away.

• Like 6

Just now, Baumer Fett said:

Tele too works in the industry and on a much much much lower level, I have written a book as well, not about film but a fictional novel.  Just throwing that out there.  So welcome aboard.

:ph34r:

Spoiler

I think you missed a couple of 'much' s

• Like 2

Lots of snow today, and it certainly hurt all of our movies (at my theatre)... EXCEPT STAR WARS BABY!

Sisters - equivalent of $1.9M today

Heart of the Sea - $2M today

Alvin - $2.5M

Star Wars - $55.6M

• Like 7

1 minute ago, bladels said:

$363m after 6 days and potential to be the first movie to reach $1b, get all time first run attendance record are unimpressive? I can't understand people.

Wait until it drops tomorrow.

People will put it on the level of Mordecai

• Like 2