Plain Old Tele

Wednesday Star Wars TFA ACTUALS - 38,022,183

9 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

I have to say, how I have NEVER stumbled onto this forum before is pure enigma to me. I came here from reddit, and this forum looks awesome!

Anyway, holy crap! This is a completely unreal hold. I'm the guy who said 230 M opening week-end was an audacious number, and I expected it to be below that.

Now, what's happening right now exactly? I just... what the... is this even real?

I've been following box office for years now, and I've never seen anything like this. So exciting, I can barely do anything meaningful during the day! Sure, I work... but yeah, mind's not on it. I hadn't even planned on seeing the movie more than once, but that's it now, I have to go back a 3rd time. Maybe even 4th. Be a part of history :P

Whatever, pleased to meet y'all, greetings from Canada, and I'll be sure to stick around! This is completely insane.

~Dax

P.S. Small question, does anybody know the %female audience right now? If I recall correctly it was 70% male on premiere day, but it was shifting quite abruptly and now, I don't know what's the status on it? Anyway, gotta work on a proper avatar now...

Welcome aboard, man! It's gonna be a wild ride for the next few weeks. :) 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, ChiSoxRox said:

So the Christmas Eve record is $11.5M for Avatar. Could Star Wars pull off three times that? ($34.5M)

I think it will be closer to double than triple. If Wednesday is headed for $38 million or so, I'm thinking about $24 million for Christmas Eve (then back up to $50 million for Christmas!)

Star Wars is bringing in a lot of new members.  

I joined the forum as a lurker during The Avengers run.

I started posting during Frozen's run.

I also want to mention that we have a strict spoiler policy on the forums... even stricter for TFA.  Please read the 'Guidelines' at on the main menu.

And of course... it's required  encouraged to play to Derby :ph34r:

http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/20793-the-official-box-office-theory-derby-announcement-thread/

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

I have to say, how I have NEVER stumbled onto this forum before is pure enigma to me. I came here from reddit, and this forum looks awesome!

Anyway, holy crap! This is a completely unreal hold. I'm the guy who said 230 M opening week-end was an audacious number, and I expected it to be below that.

Now, what's happening right now exactly? I just... what the... is this even real?

I've been following box office for years now, and I've never seen anything like this. So exciting, I can barely do anything meaningful during the day! Sure, I work... but yeah, mind's not on it. I hadn't even planned on seeing the movie more than once, but that's it now, I have to go back a 3rd time. Maybe even 4th. Be a part of history :P

Whatever, pleased to meet y'all, greetings from Canada, and I'll be sure to stick around! This is completely insane.

~Dax

P.S. Small question, does anybody know the %female audience right now? If I recall correctly it was 70% male on premiere day, but it was shifting quite abruptly and now, I don't know what's the status on it? Anyway, gotta work on a proper avatar now...

Welcome and may the force be with you. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

This is the most anticipated movie of the 21st century AND it was really good.

Nothing is touching this domestic run for a while.

Yep. You have your Hunger Games, Harry Potters, Transformers, Marvel characters, DC characters, Marvel vs DC characters, Pixars, Lord of the Rings, etc. but then you have Star Wars. A cultural phenomenon in the form of film.

The closest analogue is ROTK albeit at a higher level.   

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Kalel009Shel said:

Lol blind sorry force fails is and mojo says it's beginning to bleed to a potential 2.5 or less multi and could end up with 560 my domestic..  So long force

So, according to Kal everyone is going to all of a sudden stop going to the theater soon. All shows of TFA will be empty soon. I mean, that is the only way his DOM total will happen. :rofl:

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, blackspider said:

Assuming 38m today (split the difference) and 26m tomorrow (32% drop) then TFA would pull in 141.5m in its first set of weekdays. The previous best was JW's at 87.3m. Let that one sink in for a bit.

You mean... The Force Awakens would have pulled more in its first three weekdays than MJ2s OW? :ph34r:

Edited by The Panda Menace
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, Kalel009Shel said:

Lol force is going to lose domestically too.  It's not going to get the repeat business after weeks 3 or 4. And it's obvious which film had more ticket sales.  Even with more theaters and 3d . More demographics watched Avatar than than as force awakens.  Mojo predicts 560 to 600m domestic.  Titanic is also safenks domestically and jp world still looking to win the domestic and ww battle.  Told you opening big the first 2weeks and drop like a stone thanks to not respecting original fan love and copying anh a Lil too much.  

Kal has officially entered the looney bin. :rofl:

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Empire the Lesser said:

So, according to Kal everyone is going to all of a sudden stop going to the theater soon. All shows of TFA will be empty soon. I mean, that is the only way his DOM total will happen. :rofl:

Surely he is trolling at this point? Nobody could be that delusional? 

• Like 3

This movie is so much like A New Hope, it isn't out of the realm of possibility that it does a similar box office, that would be crazy right?  

And actually it could beat it, and I was never in the billion camp, but it's just getting incredible reviews/wom.  

I saw it twice and I NEVER went to a movie twice, if someone else asked me if I wanted to go with them to see it again I just might:D

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, The Panda Menace said:

You mean... The Force Awakens would have pulled more in its first three weekdays than MJ2s OW? :ph34r:

And pull in a ~380 Mil opening week as well, which is... more than Return of the King's whole theatrical run!

edit: and to stay in Hunger Games territory, a lot more than MJ1's whole theatrical run.

Edited by Daxtreme
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, blackspider said:

Assuming 38m today (split the difference) and 26m tomorrow (32% drop) then TFA would pull in 141.5m in its first set of weekdays. The previous best was JW's at 87.3m. Let that one sink in for a bit.

Yeah and that'd be around 13.7-14.0M tickets from Mon-Thurs.  I don't think anything else is even close to that.  Hilariously, the closest we're probably going to get to these numbers is TFA's 2nd week (if it pulls an Avatar then it could actually top the 1st week).  

TDK is the next closest at ~11.2M attendance from Mon-Thurs, and this is going to obliterate its 2nd weekend attendance as well (while likely doubling its 2nd weekend gross, if not more).  

• Like 3

Just now, Daxtreme said:

And pull in a ~380 Mil opening week as well, which is... more than Return of the King's whole theatrical run!

Remember when Excel tried telling us LOTR was nearly as big as Star Wars in the US now?

• Like 7