kayumanggi

ZOOTOPIA | 682.5 M overseas ● 1023.8 M worldwide

More on the little movie that could, from Deadline:

With an additional $4.4M worldwide this weekend, Disney’s Zootopia has become the studio’s second $1B grosser of the year at the global box office. Judy Hopps & Co have an offshore cume of $662.8M and a domestic take of $337.22M for a total $1,000.020M. This is the 11th Disney film (out of an industry total 26) to ever hit the milestone.

Zootopia is the No. 1 animated film of the year, the No. 2 movie of 2016 and only the 4th animated film ever to to cross $1B. The charmer added an estimated $3.6M in its 17th weekend of overseas release this frame. Japan continues to be the major driver with another $3.2M this session for a dip of just 18%.

http://deadline.com/2016/06/zootopia-passes-one-billion-worldwide-box-office-disney-1201767542/

• Like 8

29 minutes ago, Purple Minion said:

More on the little movie that could, from Deadline:

With an additional $4.4M worldwide this weekend, Disney’s Zootopia has become the studio’s second $1B grosser of the year at the global box office. Judy Hopps & Co have an offshore cume of $662.8M and a domestic take of $337.22M for a total $1,000.020M. This is the 11th Disney film (out of an industry total 26) to ever hit the milestone.

Zootopia is the No. 1 animated film of the year, the No. 2 movie of 2016 and only the 4th animated film ever to to cross $1B. The charmer added an estimated $3.6M in its 17th weekend of overseas release this frame. Japan continues to be the major driver with another $3.2M this session for a dip of just 18%.

http://deadline.com/2016/06/zootopia-passes-one-billion-worldwide-box-office-disney-1201767542/

Bear-in-the-Big-Blue-House.gif

• Like 5

I'm wondering how Zootopia will hold up in Obon season. It's going to have to compete against Pokemon XY & Z, Finding Dory, One Piece Film Gold, Shin Godzilla, and The Secret Lives of Pets.

It had around 250,000 seats available per day this past weekend at the sampled theaters. Come Obon time, I'm guessing it will be pared down to around 80,000 seats per day, if it's lucky. That would still be enough room to have a significant box office run, though. And there is no word on the Japanese video release.

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

I'm wondering how Zootopia will hold up in Obon season. It's going to have to compete against Pokemon XY & Z, Finding Dory, One Piece Film Gold, Shin Godzilla, and The Secret Lives of Pets.

It had around 250,000 seats available per day this past weekend at the sampled theaters. Come Obon time, I'm guessing it will be pared down to around 80,000 seats per day, if it's lucky. That would still be enough room to have a significant box office run, though. And there is no word on the Japanese video release.

Finding Dory, One Piece Film Gold, Shin Godzilla, and The Secret Life of Pets will probably demolish Zootopia at that point in its run.  By that point, Zootopia will be nearing the end and will have banked maximum capacity.  Finding Dory and The Secret Life of Pets will surely take a huge amount of screens from Zootopia and the latter is surely to be a gargantuan hit considering how popular and loved Finding Nemo was but as we saw this year, nostalgia isn't everything.  The Secret Life of Pets is the oddball as animated features outside of the Pixar/Disney duo have never done well, but as we saw with Minions last year, nothing is certain!  Pokemon XY & Z is basically a walking corpse to its graveyard as the last two were some of the lowest grossing films in the franchise to date and it's only looking to go downhill from there unless Arceus somehow makes a miracle happen.  If legends duking it out and one of the most expansive/expensive marketing campaigns couldn't save the last film from the dubious honor of being the lowest grossing film in the franchise's history, then Volcanion and Magearna won't save the franchise unless the film proves to be great and word of mouth loco-motes the film.  One Piece Film Gold is highly anticipated and considering the amount of hype, it may very well live up to its predecessor's record breaking run!  Considering the amount of competition, I don't think Zootopia will be that heavily influenced unless it proves otherwise which it has been doing on multiple accounts. 

Edited by CelestialFairyIX
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Cynosure said:

One Piece Gold is getting the widest release ever for a Japanese movie :

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-05-27/one-piece-film-gold-gets-biggest-opening-for-japanese-films/.102583

So between that and all the other movies, I don't think there will be many seats left.

Yes, but I'm speculating on how many seats it will have in August. 50,000? 30,000? Neither are unreasonable, as long as they sell.

51 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Yes, but I'm speculating on how many seats it will have in August. 50,000? 30,000? Neither are unreasonable, as long as they sell.

August? I thought you were talking about the July Obon date for the Tokyo region. That date is much more likely to give a boost to the total than the two August dates.

18 minutes ago, LMAbacus said:

August? I thought you were talking about the July Obon date for the Tokyo region. That date is much more likely to give a boost to the total than the two August dates.

Yeah, @LMAbacus pointed out just how many seats Zootopia is likely to lose.

On 2/22/2016 at 8:14 PM, kkccoo said:

It will bomb in Asian market. Too many references to the western culture. People there won't get some jokes. Just like inside out is totally based on a girl growing up in the Western countries, the parents moved a lot due to jobs or divorce but in most Asian countries, most families never move in their whole life. So you can't expect people there to resonate with the movie.

So looking back at this... I mean, I probably would've agreed with that reasoning too, but Zootopia might very well end up being the animation with the highest percentage of its overseas total made in Asia (or East and Southeast Asia at least, which is what most people associate with Asia).

Box Office Mojo is known to be inaccurate with overseas totals, but we can get roughly close with them. I took the grosses from China, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan and Thailand and calculated their percentage of the overseas gross. Here are the top movies:

Kung Fu Panda 3 53.3%
Zootopia 52.5%
Big Hero 6 48.7%
Frozen 44.7%

Allowing for $4M more from Turkey and other countries, Japan just needs to make $16M more to have Zootopia pass Kung Fu Panda 3 and top that list, despite the lack of any obvious Asian draws (kung fu, pandas, anime, hit pop songs for Frozen and Japan).

• Like 4

19 hours ago, MinaTakla said:

Congrats to all ZOOTOPIA fans! 

Here's hoping for more 1 billion WW animated films in 2016 and 2017. This is great for the industry and I really hope we see more of this.

As long as they're not dumps.

• Like 2

As usual, OS total has been revised upwards:

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $337,219,682    33.7%
Foreign:  $663,500,000    66.3%

Worldwide:  $1,000,719,682  

So Zootopia shot past $1B by $0.7M, not just $20k.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jason said:

As usual, OS total has been revised upwards:

So Zootopia shot past $1B by $0.7M, not just $20k.

I think these Monday adjustments might be Disney including the Japanese Monday gross. Japan is way ahead on the time zones after all.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, LMAbacus said:
On 2/21/2016 at 10:14 PM, kkccoo said:

It will bomb in Asian market. Too many references to the western culture. People there won't get some jokes. Just like inside out is totally based on a girl growing up in the Western countries, the parents moved a lot due to jobs or divorce but in most Asian countries, most families never move in their whole life. So you can't expect people there to resonate with the movie.

So looking back at this... I mean, I probably would've agreed with that reasoning too, but Zootopia might very well end up being the animation with the highest percentage of its overseas total made in Asia (or East and Southeast Asia at least, which is what most people associate with Asia).

Spoiler

Box Office Mojo is known to be inaccurate with overseas totals, but we can get roughly close with them. I took the grosses from China, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan and Thailand and calculated their percentage of the overseas gross. Here are the top movies:

Kung Fu Panda 3 53.3%
Zootopia 52.5%
Big Hero 6 48.7%
Frozen 44.7%

Allowing for $4M more from Turkey and other countries, Japan just needs to make $16M more to have Zootopia pass Kung Fu Panda 3 and top that list, despite the lack of any obvious Asian draws (kung fu, pandas, anime, hit pop songs for Frozen and Japan).

It's true that Zootopia has a lot of western references, but unlike Inside Out, they aren't key to understanding the themes, or developing a connection with the characters. It's not hard to imagine that if you don't know the significance of leaving behind a sports team etc. you're not going to feel much of a connection with Riley. And I have a suspicion that the message of Inside Out - "we need sadness to elicit help from others" - might be less profound/surprising for Asian audiences.*

On the other hand, I can't think of any reason why Asian audiences would have trouble connecting with Judy. Tenacity, determination, and hard work are universally valued (I imagine), as is her stated motivation "to make the world a better place". The overall themes of "anyone can be anything" and "hard work and determination results in success" are also universally appealing, I think. As for references to racism, I think the overall message is "prejudice is bad" and there are really only a few specific references where the species-ism in Zootopia is more easily understood through the lens of racism rather than prejudice in general.

(For a much more thorough treatment of Zootopia's appeal in China: LMAbacus 5/14/2016)

I don't even think understanding western references is essential for the humor in Zootopia. The sloth scene, for example, might even be funnier in countries where government offices are even more notoriously slow. I watched The Godfather after watching Zootopia (I'm sorry - it was before my time), and not getting the reference didn't stop that scene from being funny. (I also missed the Breaking Bad reference, I had no idea why some people were laughing at that point for what I thought was a very unfunny situation.) Overall, I think most of the humor in Zootopia isn't dependent on western references, although I haven't done a scene-by-scene analysis.

I'm actually more interested in explanations for why Zootopia didn't do well in some markets, given how universally appealing I think it is.

Spoiler

This is purely anecdotal, but none of my Asian-Canadian friends were that enthused about the whole "sadness to elicit empathy" thing, they saw it coming from a mile away, unlike me. Maybe I'm just dumb though.

Edited by Jason
  • Like 1

By not enthused, do you mean they watched the movie and weren't that into it, or they weren't interested in watching it in the first place?

49 minutes ago, Jason said:

I'm actually more interested in explanations for why Zootopia didn't do well in some markets, given how universally appealing I think it is.

Yeah, I was thinking about that too. Comparing its foreign totals to Inside Out, it looks like Zootopia did worse almost across the board in the Spanish language countries:

Inside Out Zootopia
Argentina $19,302,798 $10,502,199
Bolivia $1,000,127 $909,666
Chile $7,434,521 $4,266,919
Colombia $6,271,904 $5,330,391
Ecuador $2,810,893 $2,494,960
Mexico $31,100,000 $17,139,134
Peru $3,783,213 $4,242,507
Spain $24,035,511 $14,877,004
Uruguay $970,095 $463,743
Venezuela $25,432,065 $1,496,048

Of course, some of that can be put down to those currencies weakening against the dollar, especially in the case of Venezuela, but not all of it (the euro has held steady for Spain, for instance). Other notable weaker markets include Italy ($27M to $12M) and UK ($59M to $34M). The latter of those can partially be explained by BvS heavily impacting its theater count.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LMAbacus said:

By not enthused, do you mean they watched the movie and weren't that into it, or they weren't interested in watching it in the first place?

I meant they watched it and weren't enthused about it.

1 hour ago, LMAbacus said:

Of course, some of that can be put down to those currencies weakening against the dollar, especially in the case of Venezuela, but not all of it (the euro has held steady for Spain, for instance). Other notable weaker markets include Italy ($27M to $12M) and UK ($59M to $34M). The latter of those can partially be explained by BvS heavily impacting its theater count.

I used the values in your table and did adjustments for the exchange rate to March 2016 USD:

Inside Out    
Country Unadjusted   XR Adjusted     Zootopia
Argentina $19,302,798 $11,838,356 $10,502,199
Bolivia $1,000,127 $1,000,127 $909,666
Chile $7,434,521 $6,967,354 $4,266,919
Colombia $6,271,904 $5,195,684 $5,330,391
Ecuador $2,810,893 $2,810,893 $2,494,960
Mexico $31,100,000 $27,435,276 $17,139,134
Peru $3,783,213 $3,505,036 $4,242,507
Spain $24,035,511 $23,676,042 $14,877,004
Uruguay $970,095 $798,370 $463,743
Venezuela $25,432,065            n/a $1,496,048

(Bolivia's exchange rate is fixed, Ecuador uses USD, and Venezuela's official exchange rate is b.s. because of capital controls and price controls, black market value of currency is far, far less)

After doing the exchange rate adjustments, the decrease for Argentina mostly disappears and Colombia ends up being almost the same as Zootopia. Spain and Mexico are definitely significantly less though and adjustment doesn't change that.

Edited by Jason
  • Like 4