kayumanggi

ZOOTOPIA | 682.5 M overseas ● 1023.8 M worldwide

The lower-than-expected gross in Mexico was probably related to the February release. May-September is usually the best time due to long school holidays. Need to check the archives to confirm.

Meanwhile, latest from Mojo:

Domestic:  $337,526,966    33.7%
+ Foreign:  $663,500,000    66.3%
= Worldwide:  $1,001,026,966  
  • Like 1

Domestic hasn't been updated yet (not even with weekend estimate), but OS estimate is in:

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $337,641,519    33.6%
Foreign:  $668,700,000    66.4%

Worldwide:  $1,006,341,519  

Zootopia has now passed TDK on the all-time WW list.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, m3racer123 said:

Hmm, I wonder if it will be able to leg it to the group of films around $1.021b to $1.029b.

Japan added another ~$4M this week, dropping at about 20% each week now, so about $16M remaining. About $2M remaining domestic (using above domestic total and taking into account FD), ~$2M from Turkey. Not sure if there's even $1M left in remaining overseas territories so I'm just going to ignore those. 

1,006+16+2+2 = $1,026M. I think it's nearly guaranteed for Zootopia to pass The Hobbit ($1.021B), more likely than not to pass AiW ($1.025B), possible to pass SW:Ep. 1 ($1.027B), and in a best-case scenario could even pass JP ($1.030B).

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Jason said:

Japan added another ~$4M this week, dropping at about 20% each week now, so about $16M remaining. About $2M remaining domestic (using above domestic total and taking into account FD), ~$2M from Turkey. Not sure if there's even $1M left in remaining overseas territories so I'm just going to ignore those. 

1,006+16+2+2 = $1,026M. I think it's nearly guaranteed for Zootopia to pass The Hobbit ($1.021B), more likely than not to pass AiW ($1.025B), possible to pass SW:Ep. 1 ($1.027B), and in a best-case scenario could even pass JP ($1.030B).

BOM estimates it grossed $600,000 domestic this weekend even with the home video release, so it should definitely gross more than $2M. Inside Out grossed another $3M ish from this point on, and since week 3, Zootopia has been outgrossing IO, on average, about 35%. Mind you, it's not a huge amount but it should help with getting past JP. Now that it's summer and a lot of theaters have kids movies specials and such, I think it'll do decent business throughout the entire school vacation period.

Edited by bambam
  • Like 1

Just now, bambam said:

BOM estimates it grossed $600,000 domestic this weekend even with the home video release, so it should definitely gross more than $2M. Inside Out grossed another $3M ish from this point on, and since Week 3 Zootopia has been outgrossing IO, on average about 35%. Mind you, t's not a huge amount, but it should help with getting past JP. Now that it's summer and a lot of theaters have kids movies specials and such, I think it'll do decent business throughout the entire school vacation period.

I seriously considered putting it down for $3M domestic. I'm not sure how badly FD is going to reduce the theatre count though, so I decided to be conservative with $2M. You've got me convinced that that was probably too conservative. Small as that difference is, it could very well be the extra $1M needed to squeak past JP.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jason said:

I seriously considered putting it down for $3M domestic. I'm not sure how badly FD is going to reduce the theatre count though, so I decided to be conservative with $2M. You've got me convinced that that was probably too conservative. Small as that difference is, it could very well be the extra $1M needed to squeak past JP.

FD will have a big effect no doubt, but since Zootopia is holding so well, I'm sure Disney is rethinking just how many screens to reduce it by.

Edited by bambam

Zootopia's opening weekend in Turkey, from boxofficeturkiye.com:

SIRA Film Adı Vizyon
Tarihi
Dağıtım Salon Hafta Hafta Sonu
Hasılat
Hafta Sonu
Seyirci
Toplam
Hasılat
Toplam
Seyirci
1 Sihirbazlar Çetesi 2 10.06.16 TME 279 1 1.099.505 TL 90.068 1.099.505 TL 90.068
2 Warcraft 03.06.16 UIP 322 2 1.085.153 TL 78.321 5.148.853 TL 388.222
3 Zootropolis: Hayvanlar Şehri 10.06.16 UIP 309 1 898.404 TL 70.010 898.404 TL 70.010

₺898,404 = $308,232 at current exchange rate.

For comparison: Inside Out was released last year on June 19, and had an OW of ₺892,100 and final gross of ₺5,599,413 ($1.9M at current exchange rate).

Edit: Lol, I didn't see cannastop's above post. It links directly to Zootopia's page on the website.

Edited by Jason
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, cannastop said:

I found a source for the Turkish box office:

http://boxofficeturkiye.com/film/zootropolis-hayvanlar-sehri-2011934?filmop=haftasonu

It made the equivalent of $308,000 in Turkey last weekend. More than Kung Fu Panda 3, but less than The Good Dinosaur.

Those two movies ended up with $1.4 million and $3.1 million, which is right in line with estimates for Zootopia.

The Good Dinosaur sure made a lot of money in Turkey relative to the rest of the world.

Edited by LMAbacus
  • Like 2

On 10/6/2016 at 3:54 AM, Purple Minion said:

The lower-than-expected gross in Mexico was probably related to the February release. May-September is usually the best time due to long school holidays. Need to check the archives to confirm.

From the 15 highest grossing (lc) animated movies in Mexico, more than half (9) and the full Top 7 were released in June & July = summer holidays. From the rest: 3 in Easter (another holiday) and 1 each in May, September and December (guess which one). So no chance for Zootopia to make big bucks there with a February release.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Purple Minion said:

From the 15 highest grossing (lc) animated movies in Mexico, more than half (9) and the full Top 7 were released in June & July = summer holidays. From the rest: 3 in Easter (another holiday) and 1 each in May, September and December (guess which one). So no chance for Zootopia to make big bucks there with a February release.

I don't find that convincing. Before Zootopia, every single one of the 14 highest-grossing animated movies in the US were released in May, June, July or November, and 23 of the top 24. In Japan, hardly any movies earned at least 15 times their opening weekend outside the holiday months of July and December...before Tangled, Frozen and Zootopia all did it. From what I can tell, release date is pretty overrated unless it involves competition.

10 minutes ago, LMAbacus said:

I don't find that convincing. Before Zootopia, every single one of the 14 highest-grossing animated movies in the US were released in May, June, July or November, and 23 of the top 24. In Japan, hardly any movies earned at least 15 times their opening weekend outside the holiday months of July and December...before Tangled, Frozen and Zootopia all did it. From what I can tell, release date is pretty overrated unless it involves competition.

It's not hard to imagine though that Zootopia would have done even better with a June or November release though. In any case, one outlier doesn't disprove a general trend that holidays benefit attendance/total gross. If releasing family films away from school holidays to avoid competition were a good strategy, I'd expect to see more studios do it.

I don't think Tangled, Frozen, and Zootopia being able to have very good legs in Japan is necessarily indicative of release date not being important. It could just mean that Disney films are leggier in general and would have been even leggier at a better release date. But I don't know enough about the Japanese market to be able to make a case in either direction, just that the data presented here lends itself to alternative conclusions.

35 minutes ago, LMAbacus said:

Mexico is a highly family oriented market. No holidays = lower family attendance, fastest turnaround in theatres.  Said that, Zootopia had a terrific 4x multiplier, among the best of the year so far.