kayumanggi

ZOOTOPIA | 682.5 M overseas ● 1023.8 M worldwide

26 minutes ago, Jason said:

It's not hard to imagine though that Zootopia would have done even better with a June or November release though. In any case, one outlier doesn't disprove a general trend that holidays benefit attendance/total gross. If releasing family films away from school holidays to avoid competition were a good strategy, I'd expect to see more studios do it.

It's not that it's a better strategy; it's that it's now becoming an equivalent strategy. As for the trend, if studios don't even try to release good movies outside of school vacations, of course no movies are going to make money in those months. And more studios are doing it. Next year, for instance, will have Monster Trucks, The LEGO Batman Movie, The Boss Baby, Smurfs: The Lost Village, The Emoji Movie, Ninjago and My Little Pony all released outside of the prime months, and that's just animated films.

56 minutes ago, Jason said:

I don't think Tangled, Frozen, and Zootopia being able to have very good legs in Japan is necessarily indicative of release date not being important. It could just mean that Disney films are leggier in general and would have been even leggier at a better release date. But I don't know enough about the Japanese market to be able to make a case in either direction, just that the data presented here lends itself to alternative conclusions.

So what would convince you that releasing outside of the prime months is just as successful? If you keep claiming that those movies would've been even more successful had they been released on vacation days, something that is impossible to prove either way, I don't how what evidence would satisfy you.

44 minutes ago, LMAbacus said:

It's not that it's a better strategy; it's that it's now becoming an equivalent strategy. As for the trend, if studios don't even try to release good movies outside of school vacations, of course no movies are going to make money in those months. And more studios are doing it. Next year, for instance, will have Monster Trucks, The LEGO Batman Movie, The Boss Baby, Smurfs: The Lost Village, The Emoji Movie, Ninjago and My Little Pony all released outside of the prime months, and that's just animated films.

Excellent, if it's becoming an equivalent strategy, we'll have a larger data set to draw conclusions from. But at this time, and without doing a much more complete analysis, I get the impression that the total market for family films is much larger in the presence of holidays, and therefore in the absence of competition family films released at summer or winter holidays will do better. Even taking into account the greater competition at summer and winter holidays, I get the impression that the ceiling for attendance and total gross is higher.

That being said, the point that studios might not even be trying to release good movies outside of school vacations is a good one. That has potential to be a very persuasive counter-argument to the importance of release date. Question is, are there examples other than Zootopia of a release outside of holidays that was well-liked by audiences?

44 minutes ago, LMAbacus said:

So what would convince you that releasing outside of the prime months is just as successful? If you keep claiming that those movies would've been even more successful had they been released on vacation days, something that is impossible to prove either way, I don't how what evidence would satisfy you.

You've offered three examples that are all Disney animated features to counter what seems to be a much larger set of films that go against that trend. I don't see why I should be satisfied by that. I would be satisfied by a larger and more diverse set of films. This isn't a binary choice, essentially the larger and more diverse the set of films the more satisfied I'd be. Right now, I think the weight of evidence that you presented suggests that releasing during the prime months is the better strategy for most films.

Also, I am not arguing that Tangled, Frozen, and Zootopia would have been better at a vacation day release, I'm arguing that that could be the case, and there isn't enough information to make a convincing argument either in favour or against release date being of importance.

Edited by Jason

To be fair, Frozen would have never had its insane legs if it had been released outside of its Thanksgiving 2013 date. Catching Fire helped pushed the girl power agenda, Hobbit 2 disappointed big time, and Walking with Dinosaurs needed to FLOP. All these things contributed to how big Frozen became.

It would have been buried by other blockbusters if it had gotten a different date, and maybe ended with disappointing Tangled like numbers or less.

10 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

To be fair, Frozen would have never had its insane legs if it had been released outside of its Thanksgiving 2013 date. Catching Fire helped pushed the girl power agenda, Hobbit 2 disappointed big time, and Walking with Dinosaurs needed to FLOP. All these things contributed to how big Frozen became.

It would have been buried by other blockbusters if it had gotten a different date, and maybe ended with disappointing Tangled like numbers or less.

Agreed. Not sure what that's in reply to, my comment that Frozen could have done better with a "vacation day release" refers to the Japanese market. (I think the way I structured my above comment could pretty unclear.)

Edited by Jason

I just had a glance today at the international market for Zootopia on Box Office Mojo:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&id=disney2016.htm

And I noticed that the total gross for France dropped from $36,020,605 a few weeks ago to... $31,776,000 today (!!)

How is that even possible lol? It is more than $4.2 million drop!

2 hours ago, Max said:

I just had a glance today at the international market for Zootopia on Box Office Mojo:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&id=disney2016.htm

And I noticed that the total gross for France dropped from $36,020,605 a few weeks ago to... $31,776,000 today (!!)

How is that even possible lol? It is more than $4.2 million drop!

Mojo makes these annoying and stupid mistakes all the time. Plus the gross at BOM is not the actual because they just divide the actual euro-denominated gross by today's exchange rate. This is obviously wrong since most of its gross was made in the past weeks, in which the exchange rate might have been different.

• Like 2

Looks like Finding Dory actually helped Zootopia domestically. It rose 89% from last week for $310,023. That's almost on par with what Jungle Book made yesterday. Bodes well for its rise up the all time list.

Edited by bambam
  • Like 2

http://boxofficeturkiye.com/film/zootropolis-hayvanlar-sehri-2011934?filmop=haftasonu

Looks like Zootopia is showing its hallmark of great legs in yet another market:

Tarih Salon Hafta Sonu
Seyirci
Değişim
%
Hafta Sonu
Hasılat
Değişim
%
Toplam
Seyirci
Toplam Hasılat Hafta
10 - 12 Haz. 2016 309 70.010 - 898.404 TL - 70.010 898.404 TL 1
17 - 19 Haz. 2016 299 63.866 -8,8% 805.043 TL -10,4% 180.115 2.214.468 TL 2
Edited by cannastop
  • Like 5

It is really amazing how late the release of Zootopia is for Turkey. I wonder why Disney decided this.

By the way, I like your new avatar @Jason . It seems that we will have two Judy now! (who is the real one lol)

Edited by Max
  • Like 1

Disney’s Zootopia has just spent its 8th weekend as the No. 1 Western film inJapan, adding $1.9M for zero change from last frame. The cume there is $66.9M. In total, the critters of Zootropolis have amassed $676.2M internationally and $1,016.58M worldwide.

Source: Deadline.com

1 hour ago, Purple Minion said:

Should have enough steam to pass The Hobbit ($1.021B) WW. What about AIW ($1.025B)?

Domestic:  $340,736,628    33.4%
Foreign:  $678,400,000    66.6%

Worldwide:  $1,019,136,628  

Domestic should have another half-to-full million. Japan probably has 4-7 million left. It's possible, but it'll be close.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Olive said:

Not much left in Japan, major competitions start next week, it will lose screens rapidly, most theaters won't show it in two weeks.

Next week is Independence Day 2. I don't think that's direct competition, especially considering how Alice 2 failed to fill its showings.

3 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Next week is Independence Day 2. I don't think that's direct competition, especially considering how Alice 2 failed to fill its showings.

DVD/Blu-ray release date has been announced, this may have bigger impact.

4 minutes ago, Olive said:

DVD/Blu-ray release date has been announced, this may have bigger impact.

It's still a wait until August 24 for Japanese customers. But Zootopia is going to get totally pummeled when the new Pokemon movie and Finding Dory come up on July 16th, so it hardly matters much.

2 minutes ago, cannastop said:

It's still a wait until August 24 for Japanese customers. But Zootopia is going to get totally pummeled when the new Pokemon movie and Finding Dory come up on July 16th, so it hardly matters much.

Yeah, most theaters won't show it in two weeks, won't hit 8B yen.