kayumanggi

ZOOTOPIA | 682.5 M overseas ● 1023.8 M worldwide

Personally, I would love this film to outgross Frozen. I'll never understand how a generic Disney princess movie that 's been done a million times over the past 20 years do so immensely well at the box office. I would prefer finely made animated films such as Zootopia or Inside Out make that kind of money.

Edited by movieboner
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, movieboner said:

Personally, I would love this film to outgross Frozen. I'll never understand how a generic Disney princess movie that 's been done a million times over the past 20 years do so immensely well at the box office. I would prefer finely made animated films such as Zootopia or Inside Out make that kind of money.

True. Those 2 films...and Finding Dory....which comes out this summer. That film is gonna own the summer.

And i agree. Some other animated film has to outgross Frozen. I don't know which one......but there will be one anytime soon.

1 hour ago, Mojoguy said:

Minions was doomed by the lower DOM total compared to DM3.

I have my doubts Finding Dory will be that high WW. Remember that Monsters University only made 743m WW.

Monsters University only made $743M WW, due to few reasons.

1. It was good....but not good enough to do higher.

2. It had it's legs cut off by the bigger animated film, Despicable Me 2.

3. While Monsters Inc was a huge hit, it wasn't as huge as Finding Nemo.

So i don't see why Finding Dory, would not do great at the box office.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

I have my doubts Finding Dory will be that high WW. Remember that Monsters University only made 743m WW.

Monsters Inc. ($562m) vs Monsters University ($743m). It means 32% increase.

Applying the same to Finding Nemo ($936.7m): 1.238b

I am not saying it will happen, but it is a reference...

• Like 1

http://www.movienewsguide.com/disney-zootopia-makes-great-debut-china-russia-writing-new-records/172398

Zootopia Makes A Great Debut In China, Russia; Sets New Records

In China, “Zootopia” received $24 million and more for the three-day weekend, which makes it the biggest Disney Animation or Pixar opening there. In India “Zootopia” also got its biggest opening. The film was appreciated even in other countries like Australia, South Africa and others.

“Zootopia” in Russia earned an estimated $7.9 million, representing the biggest Disney Animation or Pixar opening in the market ever. It stepped into the number one spot for the weekend.

The biggest role in all this is played by IMAX. With 355 IMAX screens advantage, it brought the total portion to $8.5 million. “Zootopia” creates sensation even in Latin America. It has opened up everywhere except in Brazil.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

Doomed? MINIONS made 336m DOM, just 30m less than DM2

And it beat it WW by 200+m. A stellar figure and 2nd all time behind Frozen.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, movieboner said:

Zootopia has a chance of hitting $900 million. Much of it will be determined by how well it'll do in China. $1 billion? That's a bit too high.

China can eats Up $200M now.Nothing is impossible.$150M is almost locked in China.Zootopia will be huge in Mainland.

Most people expect that number for SW7.even Disney think so.Disney had the biggest promotion ever for SW7.They don't pay much attention to Zootopia.

it's interesting.You can never know how large a sleep hit will be.How large China can hit?Who knows

Edited by bangbingchan

8 hours ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Monsters University only made $743M WW, due to few reasons.

1. It was good....but not good enough to do higher.

2. It had it's legs cut off by the bigger animated film, Despicable Me 2.

3. While Monsters Inc was a huge hit, it wasn't as huge as Finding Nemo.

So i don't see why Finding Dory, would not do great at the box office.

Also 

4. Monsters U was a prequel whereas Dory will be a sequel (sequels usually do better than prequels)

On March 4, 2016 at 9:17 AM, firedeep said:

1B is locked. 350m DOM (? 80m+ OW). China 150m. Japan 150m. Others 350m+.

At the current exchange rate, $150M is ¥16.9B, which would make it the #9 movie of all time.

Unlikely.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bangbingchan said:

China can eats Up $200M now.Nothing is impossible.$150M is almost locked in China.Zootopia will be huge in Mainland.

Most people expect that number for SW7.even Disney think so.Disney had the biggest promotion ever for SW7.They don't pay much attention to Zootopia.

it's interesting.You can never know how large a sleep hit will be.How large China can hit?Who knows

I think Disney picked a good release date for Zootopia, where there is less competition. Bad release dates for SW7 and KFP 3, notable big hits were released shortly afterwards and attracted moviegoers from SW7 AND KFP 3.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/robcain/2016/03/08/zootopia-stampedes-across-china-to-record-box-office-results/#39ad6c4913fc

'Zootopia' Stampedes Across China to Record Box Office Results

Exceptionally strong word of mouth and unusually buoyant March cinema attendance have boosted Disney’s Zootopia to a record-breaking opening weekend in China. The talking animal toon, which unleashed day-and-date with its North American release on Friday, March 4th, rustled up $23.7 million in the PRC, second among animated films only to Kung Fu Panda 3’s $52 million January debut.

Driven by sky-high audience ratings of 9.4 on review sites like Douban, Maoyan and Gewara, Zootopia (re-titled 疯狂动物城, or “Crazy Animal City”) scored the highest opening weekend for a non-sequel animated film in China’s movie history.  With its scorching box office momentum picking up over the weekend, the film should easily top $100 million at Chinese multiplexes.

• Like 4