Plain Old Tele

Christmas Eve Awakens: SW 27.5-28.5m (Rth) So this is how Avatar dies, with thunderous applause

2 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

It's been tracking with (or even surpassing) AVATAR's drops all week. Why would this day be an exception, especially since it was one of the biggest presale days (only below sneak previews and opening day).

Because... this has to stop at some point? Idk anymore Tele, this thing is too beastly to be true. I think Disney and Universal are just pulling JW and SW numbers from their asses. None of this is real. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

It's been tracking with (or even surpassing) AVATAR's drops all week. Why would this day be an exception, especially since it was one of the biggest presale days (only below sneak previews and opening day).

My thought as well was that Star Wars is a such a family tradition that families could gravitate to it even more on Christmas day. Avatar didn't have the"family history" a star wars film has either. Thus I think star wars Christmas day bump will be bigger. (Crazy)

1 hour ago, SteveJaros said:

I thought my "model" was implicit in the numbers I posted, and your failure to see it doesn't make it "arbitrary", but OK. Some around here have said things like "forget what you've learned" and "there are no precedents for this" and the like, and that's basically what I believe. Existing models and past precedents haven't really fit, and I don't think they will fit going forward. So my "model" is that the audience for the film has been very front-loaded in the first week, perhaps at an unprecedented level, so the next weekend's drop-off will fit what I described above.

Basically, the big bulk of the audience rushed to see it before Christmas. IMO. We shall see. 

Your model just looks like numbers that fit your agenda.  You gave it a 45% jump from Thursday to Friday.  I'm guessing you didn't actually work out a percentage, did you?

This is not only Christmas Eve to Christmas day were talking about here.  This is a deflated Thursday to a national holiday FRIDAY.  It's not jumping only 45%.  Maybe it's not jumping 100% either, but you are lowballing it out of nowhere.  After a full week of putting up the most insane number anyone has ever seen, while matching the day-to-day drops of Avatar almost perfectly, it has shown exactly zero signs of slowing down.  It won't just randomly crash this weekend, a holiday weekend.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, smerfy01 said:

So sad it didn't hit $30 million and get all those delicious records. Oh well, live by the sword die by the sword.

It'll do $55 million today >:)

Edit: Does everyone here realize that this actually has a shot at the Friday single day record? Like...the sans-previews record? A week after it comes out? Wtf.

Do you mean that chart?

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/days/nonopening.htm?page=Fri&p=.htm

TOP SINGLE DAY NON-OPENING GROSSES BY DAY OF THE WEEK

Rank Title (click to view) Studio Single Day Gross Theaters Average Date / Days in Release Gross to Date* Final Gross*
1 Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen P/DW $36,740,666 4,234 $8,678 6/26/09 3 $127.9 $402.1
2 Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith Fox $33,529,613 3,661 $9,159 5/20/05 2 $83.5 $380.3

Just now, CJ Ren said:

Because... this has to stop at some point?

Sons and daughters of BOF! My brothers. My sisters.

I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. 

A day may come when THE FORCE AWAKENS fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship... but it is not this day.

An hour of wolves and shattered shields when the Age of Skywalker comes crashing down, but it is not this day!

This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you stand, Men (and Women) of the Box-Office!

It'll stop after the holidays... maybe?

• Like 15

Just now, terrestrial said:

Do you mean that chart?

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/days/nonopening.htm?page=Fri&p=.htm

TOP SINGLE DAY NON-OPENING GROSSES BY DAY OF THE WEEK

Rank Title (click to view) Studio Single Day Gross Theaters Average Date / Days in Release Gross to Date* Final Gross*
1 Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen P/DW $36,740,666 4,234 $8,678 6/26/09 3 $127.9 $402.1
2 Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith Fox $33,529,613 3,661 $9,159 5/20/05 2 $83.5 $380.3

No. I mean JW's Friday "record" when you discount presales.

7 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

True... I could honestly see it have a large Christmas increase than Avatar, but a slightly smaller Saturday increase to compensate.

4 minutes ago, smerfy01 said:

How'd the theater look when you were there? Full? Empty? Filled with spoopy ghosts?

PACK HOUSE My friend. We'll discuss more in the appropriate section.

Spoiler

Scenes with BB-8 had got very good laughs. Han solo cameo got a huge applause,whistles. People LOVED IT. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

A day may come when THE FORCE AWAKENS fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship... but it is not this day.

An hour of wolves and shattered shields when the Age of Skywalker comes crashing down, but it is not this day!

This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you stand, Men (and Women) of the Box-Office!

Hidden Content

I suppose you will be watching twice a day for the next three months?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ash Skywalker said:

PACK HOUSE My friend. We'll discuss more in the appropriate section.

Reveal hidden contents

Glad to hear it's getting a good response in India. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

Not arguing for a fast decrease or whatever, only one thought / question:

Didn't someone here tell Avatar's first week in the US (or weekend) was during a bad snow storm? Could that have changed for some of the 1st weekdays the results?

1 minute ago, terrestrial said:

Not arguing for a fast decrease or whatever, only one thought / question:

Didn't someone here tell Avatar's first week in the US (or weekend) was during a bad snow storm? Could that have changed for some of the 1st weekdays the results?

First weekend. It muted AVATAR's first Saturday (which also coincidentally helped with the Sunday drop, as people who weren't able to go Saturday made sure they went the next day).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

I because I want my jaw to drop when it jumps 120%.  :lol:

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

Hidden Content

Using the epicness of a LOTR speech to describe some average franchise should be punishable by law:P

• Like 1

There already lots of sell-outs for the openers (in particular: The Big Short, Concussion, and Joy) and Star Wars for today and it isn't even noon yet. But then the openers aren't on any of the biggest screens and are only on one screen each, so...

Also: MERRY CHRISTMAS!

• Like 1