Plain Old Tele

Christmas Eve Awakens: SW 27.5-28.5m (Rth) So this is how Avatar dies, with thunderous applause

5 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

You guys realize that if it does continue behaving like Avatar going forward for the rest of the year, it will be at about 860 mill by January 3rd.  That's just stupid.

$100m more than biggest grosser ever... in 17 days. Not bad I guess :ph34r:

No matters what can happen from now. This is already the best run I have ever seen.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LinksterAC said:

I can't bring myself to predict anything over $150.  It just doesn't seem possible for such a big opener to be that leggy.  

But it's seven days in and this thing has been leggier than frigging Avatar, and history suggests that the post-Christmas week is a bigger performer than pre-Christmas.  

So like you I really have no idea what to predict. This run so far is unlike anything I've ever seen.

You must unlearn what you have learned. 

At this point that is the best use of a SW quote so far....because we have learned that films don't behave like SW is right now.

• Like 3

And the perspective that it can beat the Saturday record on its 2nd weekend after the OW record is ridiculous, absurd. It is like if you are leaving home and you forget the keys. "I have beaten Friday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday... what do I forget? oh, Saturday. Ok, I will beat it on 2nd weekend..."

• Like 9

31 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

The pace this is one is something we have obviously never seen before.  It has to slow down eventually.  I know Avatar jumped more than 100% on its second Friday but can SW really keep that kind of pace going after its record breaking first week?  I'm not being a pessimist but I'm going to say that it has to slow down ever so slightly this weekend.  Maybe it only jumps 90% today instead of 100%  Even if it jumps 90% today and then 15% tomorrow and then drops 15% Sunday you get 165 mill.  That's a staggering and we are now officially into looney tunes land, none of this is making any sense.  If it really does 150 or more this weekend, a billion is a foregone conclusion.  You can start looking at ANH adjusted.

that is my current line of thinking. 

Typically December movies dont have that "must see" value to them. TFA does. They are typically see when convenient type movies. I think we will see the 1st sign of mortality this weekend when it does not have a typical weekend increase for this time of the year. We may only see a 30% increase over wed for Fri. That still puts us in line for a 150mil weekend, and keeps 1 bil in play. I also see it decreasing week over week next week instead of what happens alot this time of year when you see an increase the week after CMAS. If does 150 mil this weekend, and decrease 15% week over week in the dailies 1 bill is still in play (although mid 900s would be more likely). It passes Avatar the 1st week of Jan at some point. 

1 minute ago, tokila said:

that is my current line of thinking. 

Typically December movies dont have that "must see" value to them. TFA does. They are typically see when convenient type movies. I think we will see the 1st sign of mortality this weekend when it does not have a typical weekend increase for this time of the year. We may only see a 30% increase over wed for Fri. That still puts us in line for a 150mil weekend, and keeps 1 bil in play. I also see it decreasing week over week next week instead of what happens alot this time of year when you see an increase the week after CMAS. If does 150 mil this weekend, and decrease 15% week over week in the dailies 1 bill is still in play (although mid 900s would be more likely). It passes Avatar the 1st week of Jan at some point. 

If it does 150 this weekend, a billion is done.  It's just a mathematical certainty.

The weekend's going to be higher than IM3's OW. 5th biggest weekend of all time with potential for more. That's my prediction. I type that out and I still can't believe. Jesus

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

If it does 150 this weekend, a billion is done.  It's just a mathematical certainty.

not sure. You are using math based on historical examples. I believe no historical example is useful for comparing to TFA. If it does over 150 million and its monday the 28th drop is less than 25% or so than yes. 1 bil is pretty much gone. 

I am waiting on those 2 things before I predict it. 150+ this weekend and monday's drop.