druv10

Star Wars TFA 2nd Wknd Actual: 149.2M !!!

15 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

I'm no Xia, or even close to the best box office prognosticattor here, never have been and never will be.  However, I seem to have a beat on SW, since the presales came in. 

I think SW has to start "slowing" a bit.  By that I mean that there is no way it can keep Avatar's pace going.  Avatar was a nice sized hit early on and then obviously wom kept it going so that it hit that 10X.  SW is a different beast.  It opened with the force of a tsunami combined with a typhoon and it just kept going to 7 days.  Finally, on Christmas day it didn't follow Avatar's increase as it came in 27% less but this is a film that is moving at record speeds.  It has to slow down because it didn't open like avatar. 

Based on all of this, I think today will see a smaller increase that Avatar's 22%, but not by much simply because there will be more showtimes.  I also think it will slow a bit in the week to come.

Now having said that, slow down just means instead of falling 9% on New Year's weekend, it will fall about 25%. 

A billion is all but locked based on this weekend, and really, I have no idea where it will land.  Fans love it, those who have never seen a SW film before love it and critics love it.  It's a perfect trifecta.  So instead of putting down some arbitrary number as to where it will land, I will just say that it will do north of a billion and land somewhere between that and SW adjusted. 

It's a fun ride, and it will be for the next few months.

If it held like Avatar it would end up w/ $2.5b domestic. People didn't honestly think that was going to continue beyond the first week right (or anywhere close for that matter)? Silly if so.

Christmas Day CinemaScores: (A), (A-), 'Joy' & 'Daddy's Home' (B+), 'Point Break' (B)

(hmm, I think that might have been already posted via another source, but not sure, better twice than not... if interested in such)

SW 7 new records via IK:

X-Mas, old was Sherlock Holmes $24.6m. Btw, that was sle OD of it!
Friday record non opening Transformers 2 $36.7m (Catching Fire $31.6m)
2nd weekend Jurassic World $106.6m

• Like 1

Just now, GiantCALBears said:

If it held like Avatar it would end up w/ $2.5b domestic. People didn't honestly think that was going to continue beyond the first week right (or anywhere close for that matter)? Silly if so.

People were dreaming it would do it until the end of the holidays. I am sure everyone realizes this thing will disappear fast in January. 

1 minute ago, FilmBuff said:

What makes this weekend so incredible is the demand still being very high despite the fact it opened massively and had great holds during the week.

Demand was always going to remain high so I disagree somewhat. It's the holidays, movies hold a lot better no matter what they are.

2 minutes ago, Master Scottb said:

I wonder how many would have believed if a year ago someone came on here and predicted that Episode 7 would beat The Avengers Age of Ultron's total US gross in 9 days? 

I am pretty sure I said in June this would do 1.1B DOM and 300M OW. Does that count? 

1 minute ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

"Disappear fast"? That's a bannable offense. 

Hidden Content

It seriously won't surprise me if it drops to a 40M weekend on January 8 (if it does 100M 2nd weekend, if it does more I will adjust my prediction). It will have a super hold on MLK weekend and die after that. 

6 hours ago, Biggestgeekever said:

I've seen you post on hsx before, I believe. Do you have insider info?

I was making a guess on this one, but no real insider info for the most part.  The late nights weren't quite as strong.  Still a great number.  

41 minutes ago, edmkh said:

I wonder what is George Lucas thinking right now seeing this insane numbers for Episode 7.  Quality aside, watching this episode 7 numbers; Episodes 2 and 3 were really a big box office disappointment.

Episode 3 was a BO disappointment? Lol that's so wrong given the quality of 1 & 2. 

• Like 2

No comment on BO.com's $161m est. for the weekend post? Only $2m ubder their weekend prediction from 23 December.

= not bad

Hollywoor Reporter

Force Awakens rocketed to $49.3 million from 4,134 theaters on Friday, blasting past the $24.6 million opening of Sherlock Holmes on Dec. 25, 2009 to secure the biggest Christmas Day gross of all time. It also raced past the $400 million mark domestically to finish the holiday with $440.4 million domestically.

For the weekend, conservative estimates show Force Awakens earning $150 million-plus, the biggest second weekend in history (Jurassic World is the current record-holder with $106 million). Overall, Christmas Day revenue at the North American box office crossed $100 million for the first time ever; record levels are also expected for the holiday weekend, or north of $300 million.

9 minutes ago, CJ Ren said:

People were dreaming it would do it until the end of the holidays. I am sure everyone realizes this thing will disappear fast in January. 

Even if falls off the face of the earth after Jan 3rd, non stop 50% drops, it makes another 200 million. 

Do some math. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

This is assuming it follows Avatars drops.  I think it will start coming down a bit.

It's worse drops than Avatar. 

Here is Avatar drops

40M 

37.6M

38M

30.4M

52.1M

53.24M

35.67M

837M by Jan 3rd