CJohn

ETHAN HUNT'S BEST OF 2015 TOP 10!!! | ALSO SPAGHETTI RIPS OFF TELE ON PG. 14 (CJohn's Final Top on Page 1, Ethan Hunt on Pg. 7)

2015 EPIC MOVIE EXPERIENCES - PART 3

The final one of this list is the definition of either see it on the big screen or don't see it at all. 

Spoiler

THE WALK - THE FINAL 30 MINUTES IN IMAX 3D

Screen%20Shot%202015-09-30%20at%2010.05.

The Walk is a really boring movie with a solid Joseph Gordon-Levitt performance until it reaches the final 30 minutes. Those 30 minutes were made to be seen in IMAX 3D. Don't even try to see this at home, it is not worth it. But oh damn, those final 30 minutes in IMAX 3D are absolutely INCREDIBLE. Hopefully it is nominated for best Visual Effects at the Oscars. If I had the chance to see the movie again in IMAX 3D just for those final 30 minutes I would. The rest of the movie... yeah, I don't remember anything from any character besides Phillippe and FUCK the narration. That shit was absolutely not needed at all.

Here are some quotes from our review thread:

Numbers

It was fine. The walk itself is brilliant. Silvestri's music is pretty good.

But too much JGL monologue narration mugging and the characters outside of Phillippe were pretty thin. Could have gotten some trimming in Acts 1 and 2

The Panda Menace

I saw this in IMAX 3D and I'm mixed, I overall really enjoyed it and visually its well worth the price of admission. Great cinematography and excellent 3D, its some of the best use of 3D I've seen.

Narratively, its a mixed bag, my biggest problem being that you have JGL narrating in hard to adjust to French accent on the top of the Statue of Liberty the entire movie. It's distracting and lazy. It tells too much of a story that should be very visual in nature. So much of the narrative feels like a cheap way to speed through the development without any care, making the development ironically slow and boring in perception, to get to the thrilling coup act.

Whenever the movie quits telling you the story and shows you the story, it's brilliant and engaging. Sadly it tells about half the story and shows you the other half, making it half great and half mediocre

Jake Gittes

I suspect Bridge of Spies and Steve Jobs will be just as effective at home, but I guarantee you that The Walk won't. It's a movie made for a big screen and 3D.

bapi

So I was the only person in a theater with 240+ capacity... Yeah, wow, that was weird. Anyway the movie is quite weak and outside of very good 3D and Silvestri's music... 

That is a wrap-up for today folks :) Tomorrow I will post my Honorable Mentions of 2015 and on January 1 I will start the reveal of my top 10 :) 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Panda Menace said:

I like the idea of visual experiences, and I agree with all three of those.  Great things to see in them, just not great movies as a whole.

Everest and The Walk are exactly that. That is why I decided to mention them. Both have a good leading performance, some fantastic visuals to see in IMAX 3D, and a ton of mediocre stuff surrounding all that :lol: 

Furious 7 is a bit different. That final scene was what made the WOM so good. Take that out and the movie would have crumbled pretty fast (even assuming the same OW, which totally wouldn't have happened either) since it is very meh. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

I'm fully expecting Taken 3 to show up near the top. :ph34r:

This is not a Worst of the Year list :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

I'm scared to read this thread.

It is still safe... for now :redcapes:

• Like 3

Honorable mentions tomorrow. There will be four. Four movies I really liked a lot. One of them was outta nowhere, as I barely knew the movie. :) 

And what will be the positions of Jurassic World, Mad Max and Star Wars in my top 10? All will be revealed FRIDAY. 

• Like 1

10 more minutes of character development and Everest would have been so much better. Furious 7 was a batshit crazy and fun time at the theater and I teared up at the ending. I unfortunately missed The Walk in a theatre but I might buy it on Blu-ray when it's on sale.

• Like 1

HONORABLE MENTIONS - PART 1

It begins. Here is the first of four fantastic movies I saw this year but that didn't quite reach my top 10. 

Spoiler

FOXCATCHER

new-foxcatcher-poster-with-carell-tatum-

Three fantastic performances in a movie I will probably never see again. It was very good, but very hard to sit through. 

Some quotes from our Review Thread:

Coolio

Ruffalo gave my favorite performance in the film and it was one of the best of the year! oh well. I thought this was very good, but not one of the year's best upon first watch, but the ambition to take it above a simple true-crime story like it could have been has won me over I think. There's a lot in here about how we accommodate the rich, etc, but also I think it's one of the best studies of masculinity since Raging Bull.

Numbers

It was a good film, but also an uncomfortable sit since it was very cold and ominous throughout with Carell's lizard person creeping on everything.

Carell was definitely the best. Tatum was good, but he basically disappears in the final act, and Ruffalo while good is playing kind of that Ruffalo character so not a big stretch for him

darkelf

My God, that scene where Carrell is demonstrating some 'basics' in front of his mother is so unbearable and sad at the same time. But yeah, it's very competent like the rest of Miller's work and features some great performances but there is something, and I can't pinpoint exactly what, that makes me unable to love this movie. But I'm really glad this exists, it's a very unique film that doesn't go into any biopic cliches and that isn't afraid to go into the uncomfortable at all and for that I applaud this film.

• Like 2

HONORABLE MENTIONS - PART 2

The list continues.

Spoiler

BLACK SEA

black_sea.jpg

This one came outta nowhere. It is a very intense movie with a strong supporting cast and a great lead performance from Jude Law. I liked it a lot and I hope more people see it and enjoy it the same way I did. 

No quotes because I didn't find the Review Thread, but I remember it existed. Numbers even gave it a positive review as well. 

• Like 2

HONORABLE MENTIONS - PART 3

One more to go after this one

Spoiler

BRIDGE OF SPIES

Bridge%2Bof%2BSpies%2BLaunch%2BOne%2BShe

Spielberg and Hanks join forces once again and the result couldn't have been much better. Bridge of Spies is a great, tense, drama with a terrific lead performance by Tom Hanks. It is also Spielberg's best since War of the Worlds (just a bit above Lincoln IMO). And lets nor forget Mark Rylance. What a spectacular performance. He is the one to beat at the Oscars. 

Quotes from our Review Thread:

Blanks

Surprised by this one. Spielberg’s touch is felt throughout, and, with the exception of a single scene, it’s never overbearing. Hanks doesn’t really melt in the role, but that’s okay. He works as a presence rather than a performance. Rylance steals the show with a fun subtle performance, and the rest of the cast does their roles admirably. Thomas Newman’s score is decent, but the Coens’ script shines, full of intrigue and humor. It’s a tense thriller that never gets boring (with the exception of the last ten minutes, but Spielberg’s gonna Spielberg) and one of my favorites of the year.

jb007

Excellent movie. Spielberg and Hanks have created another gem. Rylance is superb. This easily ranks among the best movies of the past decade.

Spielberg's range is unlimited. He is just as good at almost anything he tries.

Baumer

I'd never heard of Rylance before.  I think after this, I'll never forget him.  He should be a shoe in for best supporting actor.  Absolutely terrific.  I pretty much loved the film.  It's very subdued, far from flashy but it's pretty much fantastic in every way.

Goffe

Spielberg turns an okay-ish story into an incredibly engaging movie. I personally think that the ideal ending would have been when the movie fades to black in a close-up shot on Hanks's face, right there at the bridge, it would have been much more effective than the following 10 minutes we got, which feels incredibly mechanical and unnecessary. I was not a fan of the score, while mostly decent, it was rather inappropriate at times, the tired Williams patriotic tune didn't fit in at all.

• Like 3

Just now, The Panda Menace said:

I loved Bridge of Spies, one of my favorite Spielberg films of this century.

Spielberg can do no wrong. I like everything he does but this one is Spielberg at the top of his game. And dat Rylance. Incredible performance. 

• Like 2

HONORABLE MENTIONS - PART 4

The final one before the main event begins.

Spoiler

SPY

SPY_1SHEET.jpg

The funniest movie of the year. McCarthy was as good as always. Sthatam stole the damn show, he was super hilarious. Jude Law was pretty good as well and Rose Byrne was the queen bitch. I got this recently on Bluray and it was as funny as on the first time. The comedy of the year and one of the funniest movies I have ever seen in a theater.

Quotes from our Review Thread:

pepper83

Loved it. I haven't laughed this hard during a movie in a long time. McCarthy was great, really funny. Loved Byrne and Serafinowicz. Statham was absolutely hilarious (dude seriously needs to do more comedy - he's great).

Baumer

Yep, pretty funny stuff.  I laughed quite a bit.  The second half is much better than the first and Statham and Byrne are brilliant.  Script is funny and the action is well done.  Really good summer film.

filmlover

A hilarious and exciting amount of fun. Paul Feig really does bring out the best in Melissa McCarthy: while their previous collaborations (Bridesmaids and The Heat) generated comedy gold, she hasn't found the right star vehicle away from him to properly showcase her talents (see, or better yet don't, Identity Thief and Tammy). As lead roles go, this is her best yet, as she delivers impeccable comedic timing and shows that she's no slouch at handling action scenes either. She is surrounded by an excellent supporting cast that includes Rose Byrne (can we please please PLEASE give her a comedy vehicle to headline already?), Jude Law, Jason Statham, Allison Janney, Bobby Cannavale, and Miranda Hart (a fun discovery). Statham is probably the standout (he's having a blast playing against type as a hot-headed bumbling fool), but everyone is given their moment to shine. The funniest movie in a long time, and I'm now very excited to see what Feig and McCarthy have planned for next year's Ghostbusters reboot. 

• Like 5