CJohn

ETHAN HUNT'S BEST OF 2015 TOP 10!!! | ALSO SPAGHETTI RIPS OFF TELE ON PG. 14 (CJohn's Final Top on Page 1, Ethan Hunt on Pg. 7)

Jurassic World? Nope, not here either. 

Spoiler

IT FOLLOWS

(Release Date: August 20)

11190713_ori.jpg

From the opening sequence until the end, It Follows is a brutal horror experience. And it will literally follow when you leave the theater. Maika Monroe is a revelation in the lead role. The atmosphere is incredibly dark and disturbing and the score is terrifying. It is, IMO, the best horror movie of the last 3 or 4 years. A true masterpiece of the genre. 

Quotes from our Review Thread:

Kevin Bacon

It's been an extremely long time since a movie truly scared me. As in, induced true fear in me. Possibly since I was a kid. It's a sensation I didn't re-discover up until the past year and a half or so, when I uncovered the spectacular world of indie horror games, with titles like Slender: The Eight Pages, Outlast,Paranormal, Amnesia: The Dark Descent, PT, and the Five Nights at Freddy's series doing something nothing else has: making me turn it off because I couldn't handle it. I've found that, as an adult, film doesn't possess that ability like it used to when I was younger, which is a weird feeling as a big fan of horror films. More recent movies like The Descent and 1408 managed a certain level of suspense, where Evil Dead or The Crazies remakes provided gory thrills--yet the real standout genre fare as of late has been the likes of The Cabin in the Woods and You're Next that subvert the genre entirely and in the process become clever, violent satire.

I took all this into account going into It Follows, which I knew only a few things about: it has a 95% Tomatometer, it stars the lovely Maika Monroe (who you should know from The Guest and if you don't what are you doing watch The Guest already), it's got a bitchin' score, it's a legitimate horror film, and it's going to be a while before I can catch it on demand because it's only playing in a few cities. But, alas, due to popular demand, it's expanded to a wide release and just so happened to end up in my town tonight. So, I grabbed a friend and headed to the theater. There were only a few others in attendance, unsurprisingly, and the trailers were absolutely dreadful with ads for Unfriended and some ridiculous Nicolas Sparks bullriding movie. But then the movie followed, and it was time to see what exactly I was in for.

Critics called the movie "terrifying", a claim I was dubious on myself because movies don't terrify me. Did this buck that trend? No. But holy shit, did it induce some anxiety. Without giving away any of the plot, once the plot gets set into motion about 20 minutes in, the movie becomes an unrelenting barrage of tension with very few jumpscares to break it. My friend noted that it was as if they took what made Halloween scary and stripped it down to its very core and ran with it. Whenever there isn't a direct threat onscreen, it's always with us in spirit, certainly lurking somewhere nearby, prone to pop up in any of the many long scenic shots at any given moment, and even if it doesn't, the loud, booming score will have you certain that it will.

It goes without saying that director David Robert Mitchell is responsible for much of this, but equal props go to Disasterpiece for the intense retro synth-driven score and the cast--specifically Monroe, who once again nails it and could easily find herself becoming the next big "last girl" going forward or just as easily go in an entirely different direction; either way, her future is bright.

There's a respectable chance that with its expansion this becomes a sleeper hit with all the hype in the world behind it, in which case you'll probably see it. Or it could fade away, in which case you should see it anyway because it's a totally unique and wonderfully made horror that you're pretty much certain to have never seen anything like.

• Like 2

Jurassic World, where are you? Nope, not here either. :ph34r: @Obi-Wan Telemachos Do you feel the pressure? :sarah: 

Spoiler

WHIPLASH

(Release Date: January 29)

Whiplash-2014-tt2582802-Poster.jpg

I love this movie. Miles Teller deserved to be nominated for Best Actor and J.K. Simmons CRUSHED all the competition with a performance for the ages. Terrifically directed and edited by Damien Chazelle, he makes the movie look like an intense thriller instead of a simple drama about a boy and a teacher. The last 15 minutes are memorable. The movie nominated for the Oscars 2015 everyone should have seen but unfortunately it is the one most didn't.

Baumer

Fucking loved it.  I didn't think Teller was a jerk at all.  He was driven and literally gave blood sweat and tears to get what he wanted.  I don't think he will be nominated this year but he gives one of the best physical performances in a film I've ever seen.  He owns this character and as Gittes mentioned, the ending drained me but it also made me cheer.  

Simmons is awesome and just when you think the script is going to go the way most scripts would, they literally say fuck you and go the complete different direction.  That's what makes the film so satisfying.  I absolutely love this film and it will make my top ten of the year, maybe even top five

acsc1312

Holy shit this was incredible. Simmons gives a terrifying supporting performance and teller shines as usual. That ending was so tense. This is definitely in my top 3 for the year

Cmasterclay

Best movie of the year. An absolute fucking masterpiece.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Empire said:

If JW is your #1, that makes your whole list null and void. 

29 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Quick reminder that CJohn fooled us with his 1B DOM prediction so he could be pulling the same shit here with JW

23 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I don't buy for one second that it isn't on here

49 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

We all know JW is gonna be your #1 of the year.

I am loving this! :rofl:

• Like 4

The border is just another line to cross.

Spoiler

SICARIO

(Release Date: October 15)

sicario_poster_1.jpg

Visceral movie. It was hard to watch sometimes. An incredibly tense thriller with a stunning performance from Benicio Del Toro. Emily Blunt and Josh Brolin are also great in it. The final moments in the apartment are incredibly well done. A movie truly deserving of any top 5 of 2015. 

antovolk

Damn, that was fantastic. Really tense and gripping stuff. #3 of year for me behind Fury Road and Ex Machina.

Bitchy/pissed-off Blunt was cool but a tiny bit too much audience surrogate, Del Toro was absolute standout, Brolin was absolutely awesome and hilarious. Deakins and Johannsson's work really contributed to how tense this was - loved how they did the start of the tunnel sequence especially, flipping through different styles and POV shots.

On Del Toro - he basically steals the film from Blunt once his true motivations/origins are revealed, and it's chilling. True standout of the film

Cmasterclay

Can't believe I forgot to review this. God, I loved this movie. My favorite of the year so far. Intense, brutal, terrifying, and visceral. Chris Ryan of Grantland is right- it feels like the Apocalypse Now of the drug war. A hypnotic movie that delves deeper into unspeakable horror and darkness than most movies dare to do. Fascinating, complex politics, too. Feels like No Country meets Platoon meets Traffic meets Prisoners. It's just fucking aces. So much to pull apart here. Deakins and Johannasson's work is just tremendous in adding to the mood and tone of this piece. And dat cast.....jeez. Every player in this matters, and nails it. Blunt and Brolin have never been better. And Del Toro.....one of the most memorable performances and characters of modern times. He's just a presence. Like an unstoppable, otherworldly force taking human form. He's Anton Chigurh in tailored suits. God, it's tremendous.

See this fucking movie.

Blanks

Felt like it was well-made, but lacking something to make it truly great. I don't know what could make it better. Brolin, Blunt, and the actor who played her partner were all pretty good, and Del Toro lived up to expectations and stole the show. The cinematography was astounding in every way. A lot of well directed sequences that had me on the edge of my seat, but there were also a lot of stuff that just bored me. I don't know, I was hoping for something a bit more, but don't get me wrong, I quite liked it.

• Like 3

We are getting close to the number 1...

Spoiler

STEVE JOBS

(Release Date: November 12)

SJB_Tsr1Sht5_RGB_0818_1-780x1235.jpg

An energetic, sometimes intense, drama centered on three key moments from Steve Jobs's life. Michael Fassbender has an amazing performance and ge is gonna get that Oscar this year and hopefully the ridiculous failure at the box office doesn't hurt this movie's chances at the awards. Danny Boyle and Aaron Sorkin surely also deserve nominations. If you didn't had the chance to see this in theaters, make sure you see it as soon as possible.

Water Bottle

Ultimately a great film. Danny Boyle does a good job and this is the most Sorkin script Sorkin has probably ever written. Great performances as well. I like how the unique structure allowed it to cover a lot of ground (which is a problem many biographies in film run into if they try to cover too much territory) while at the same time remaining focused.

Webslinger

It's difficult to encapsulate the essence of Steve Jobs's life in a two-hour space (as evidenced by the tepid response to the 2013 biopic and the gargantuan length of the biography upon which this film is based), but Steve Jobs accomplishes the task. While the unconventional three-act approach restricts the vast majority of the narrative to three very specific moments in Jobs's life, the selection of details and the presentation of said details are such that we get a clear and vivid outline of the man's complexities in each snapshot. Even though the film is comprised largely of dialogue, it is an absolutely electrifyingexperience thanks to three factors: the screenwriting, the acting, and the direction. 

• Like 8