CJohn

Wednesday The Force Awakens Estimates - 28M (Rth) | 27.2 - 27.9 (DHD)

31 minutes ago, smerfy01 said:

LOL

No. James Cameron is the James Newton Howard of directors. He's good enough for praise, but is never at the forefront in his field.

He is always at the absolute front technologically, he single handedly pushes boundries every film he releases. Without technological advances we would still be watching black and white films, if you still don't find merit in that then you're a lost cause.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

As far as I looked at the names my impression was that the $160m... ideas were either by newbes or by fun-making or by poking in a negative way people

Now is not correct, as also last week some people already said both, sub $100m and sub $90m as apossibility too.

Maybe taking a bit more into consideration that nothing out of the future is written in stone?

Accept people for staying conservative out of their POV?

They were not newbies. BO.com and BOM fueled the fire as well with 167 and 178. Consideration and conservatism has nothing to do with it. It was observation of a swing in concensus. The concensus was 230m OW and 30m monday, short. 160m 2nd weekend, long, not conservative. NOW the consensus is in the 90s and its going to be short. Let it be written, let it be done.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, smerfy01 said:

LOL

No. James Cameron is the James Newton Howard of directors. He's good enough for praise, but is never at the forefront in his field.

I mean, James Newton Howard is one of the most prolific composers in film...ever. If there's an 'A-List' for composers nowadays rest assured he's near the top.

41 minutes ago, smerfy01 said:

LOL

:mellow:

James Newton Howard is considered to be a legendary composer.

• Like 1

So there have been 13 films which have grossed more than $25M on a Wednesday, per BOM.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/days/f-th.htm?page=Wed&p=.htm

Of those 13 films, 11 of them did so on their first day of release and 1 other did so on its second day of release. Those 12 films only managed that feat one time each. TFA is that 13th film and it is the only film to do it twice - in its 6th and 13th days of release. Clearly TFA is running out of steam and will disappear from theaters any day now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JonathanLB said:

I rate a director on the ability to consistently entertain me and make great films that sometimes also inspire or provoke thought (not always). I also think it's important to a degree that a director have a "stamp." I think the best directors, you know it's their work. You know a Tarantino film when you see one, for better or worse (depending how you like his style), you know a James Cameron film, or a Steven Spielberg film. They gravitate towards certain subjects and deliver films with a style and sensibility all their own. Otherwise, what you have are glorified TV directors who have milquetoast style and bland taste in what they want out of a production. It may end up perfectly fine, but it's nothing great. 

I wonder if most people feel that way about directors?

I say that because I normally hear the opposite about actors.   Most people seem to claim that an actor is better if they have "range".    Any actor who has a "stamp" would be described as "playing the same character over and over".

I think I would lean in the direction of what you say.   I like a "stamp" with both directors and actors.    I think most of the greatest actors of all time had a "stamp".   Bogart pretty much played the same guy in every movie...but no other actor could do what he did.  Same with John Wayne, Groucho Marx, James Stewart, Henry Fonda, Paul Newman, Jack Nicholson.   I think actors with "range" end up being forgotten because there is nothing really distinctive about them.   Sure they can disappear into any role, but what makes them unique?   That's why I don't think anyone will talk about Daniel Day Lewis in 50 years.   Amusing to me that so many comic actors feel they must prove they are good actors by taking vanilla dramatic roles.   50 years later people will remember their comic roles because those were unique.   Jim Carrey for instance.

Same with directors.   I love Tarantino because he is unique.   He's the only director who can give me a movie like that.

3 hours ago, JonathanLB said:

The point is, taste is purely subjective and what one person thinks is a great director is someone else's mediocre hack. 

Agreed.   Someone else pointed out that there is no way to measure "directing skills".

Another $25+ million consecutive day. It could stand at least 17 straight days, depending how much it drops today Thursday. I really don't see any other movie ever topping that.

Edited by VGPOP
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, No Prisoners said:

They were not newbies. BO.com and BOM fueled the fire as well with 167 and 178. Consideration and conservatism has nothing to do with it. It was observation of a swing in concensus. The concensus was 230m OW and 30m monday, short. 160m 2nd weekend, long, not conservative. NOW the consensus is in the 90s and its going to be short. Let it be written, let it be done.

Ahh, you meant last weekend. A few wrote way over $100m ($130m,....) for this weekend = didn't really read those posts

In other news...

SW 7 breaks all-time mid-week (Monday to Wednesday, as Thursday is movie release date here) with over 1.27m admissions

Now #2 is the local movie (T)RAUMSCHIFF SURPRISE (1,269,900 admissions) in Germany.

Request:

Could you plleeeaaaaaassseee take those director discussions to the Speaksay Forum (or where-else it is best placed)?

To compare their BOs is one thing IMHO, but those annoying repeats, naggings, pokings....  when everyone knows already the other side will never ever agree anyway... bore the hell out of me.

I mean, this thread is.... BO domestic per day, or not?

• Like 10

11 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

So there have been 13 films which have grossed more than $25M on a Wednesday, per BOM.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/days/f-th.htm?page=Wed&p=.htm

Of those 13 films, 11 of them did so on their first day of release and 1 other did so on its second day of release. Those 12 films only managed that feat one time each. TFA is that 13th film and it is the only film to do it twice - in its 6th and 13th days of release. Clearly TFA is running out of steam and will disappear from theaters any day now.

Only in the case you missed it, there are also charts for non-opening week-days, link for such kind of Wednesday

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/days/nonopening.htm?page=Wed&p=.htm

I think daily the performace is utterly nuts - in a positive way

Just now, filmlover said:

Deadline is reporting $3.4-3.7M for The Hateful Eight's first day in wide release. Guessing it'll be around $15-20M for the weekend on track for a total similar to the Kill Bill films, which seems expected.

As they and others reported not only that (see a few pages back):

only out of curiousity, did you get the detail about braoden the release again (in steps) and how do you think that detail might be take on into calculculation?

I have no idea which system to use for that

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Deadline is reporting $3.4-3.7M for The Hateful Eight's first day in wide release. Guessing it'll be around $15-20M for the weekend on track for a total similar to the Kill Bill films, which seems expected.

I'd wait until today before calling anything given the super late release date shift.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JonathanLB said:

What I can't believe is they let him spend $135M on that movie. It's probably one of the worst examples in cinema history of dollars spent to quality of the filmmaking. It looks like maybe a $50M movie unless they paid Leo $100 million. For god's sake, JURASSIC WORLD cost $150 million! Think about that. They built huge sets for the film, there is tons of CG, the movie looks absolutely amazing, and it cost just a few million more than The Revenant?! Yikes, who embezzled money from that production? There's just no excuse. Bridge of Spies apparently cost like $40 million and it looks at least as good as The Revenant. I'm just so confused by that budget number.

Spielberg has been known to furiously storyboard his movies, efficient with studio's resources, while maintaining high level of proficiency as a storyteller.

His movies made money for the studios that's why he keeps getting the blockbuster projects (although it seems now that he shies away from all that)

• Like 2