#ED

Weekend Actuals: The Force Awakens - 90.2M !!!

14 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

So we have record ticket sales and record total gross, and yet 'competition means no one goes to the cinema any more'.. Hmm..

The real reason (or at least a larger part of the reason than most will admit) is what I always suspected, too much crap, not enough quality, thats why movies cant match ticket sales of the big 70s movies any more. Reboots and sequels are the problem.

The issue is making original films from a financial point of view is not sensible with a large budget unless you have some draw to it...

Big name actors, Big name Director (Nolan), its based on a proven track record (Cameron). 

18 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

Okay we all know avatar is the King worldwide and Star Wars is the Kings domestically. There's anything more really need to be said? Guys let this go. I don't want to see anybody get suspended for a day or week or anything. There have been clear instructions that if you want to discuss this stuff go to the Speak Easy and go into the thread that our fearless leader created. I cannot remove these posts as I'm on my phone right now. Just let the stuff go guys

"My life consists of basically masking my contempt for the films that I hate, and, at least once a day, retiring to the BOT forum so I can trash those films while I fantasize about a life that doesn't so closely resemble Hell."

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, vc2002 said:

"My life consists of basically masking my contempt for the films that I hate, and, at least once a day, retiring to the BOT forum so I can trash those films while I fantasize about a life that doesn't so closely resemble Hell."

This made me laugh.....nicely done bud. :)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, vc2002 said:

I know I recognize this take on a film quote, but i still had to google it.  Lester Burnham...one of my all time faves.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

I know I recognize this take on a film quote, but i still had to google it.  Lester Burnham...one of my all time faves.  

"You know Baumer, for 6 years I've been suffering from seeing that garbage Avatar being the boxoffice king. The only way I could save myself now is if I start shitting on it."

Kinda off-topic, but I love American Beauty. I think it's in your alltime fav isn't it? Pity that it never gets quoted around here.

Edited by vc2002
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

The issue is making original films from a financial point of view is not sensible with a large budget unless you have some draw to it...

Big name actors, Big name Director (Nolan), its based on a proven track record (Cameron). 

In other words its cowardice. Original films have been at the top of the charts for decades, they are a proven concept. Go back to when Titanic took the lead, there were only 3 sequels in the entire top 20 (2 of them were SW), now its 12, but critically if you adjust for ticket prices only 3 are in the top 20 again.

Titanic, Avatar and probably TFA prove that if a movie is good enough it can pass or approach 100M tickets today, whereas it only takes a very average movie to get into the top ten grossers *cough.. JW, AOU, TA cough*.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

In other words its cowardice. Original films have been at the top of the charts for decades, they are a proven concept. Go back to when Titanic took the lead, there were only 3 sequels in the entire top 20 (2 of them were SW), now its 12, but critically if you adjust for ticket prices only 3 are in the top 20 again.

Titanic, Avatar and probably TFA prove that if a movie is good enough it can pass or approach 100M tickets today, whereas it only takes a very average movie to get into the top ten grossers *cough.. JW, AOU, TA cough*.

Its not cowardice its business sense.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

..... I cannot remove these posts as I'm on my phone right now. Just let the stuff go guys

something is strange with the time of the posts... I refresh, no new post. I write a post, post it, do refresh, still no new posts. I come back an see you (and others) had written posts positioned several minutes before mine.

= I didn't add my 2 ct after your post knowingly

Isn't the first time it happened the last few days... really strange.

• Like 1

I have to accept that crossing 1 billion was a somewhat arbitrary milestone and that making 950 m DOM and possibly 2 billion WW is still a tremendous accomplishment.

Any disappointment with numbers like that is just being greedy. ;)

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

@vc2002 oh yea American Beauty is top 5 for me of all time.

NO. You don't get to tell me what to do ever again

You know why I trash films on this forum? Because "I'm just an ordinary poster with nothing to lose."

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

In other words its cowardice....

Big words... and wrong, at least to a degree.

It's at least partly not willing to do financially suicide. Have you an idea how much money even ends with the studio as returns?

Plus:

I really do not know why great stories,... 'always' have to be expensive movies.

I dare to say even a, lets say 5 person cast ... in one or three locations can be the base of a great movie.

My impression is, not enough ppl with a minimum of creativity / real sense to that in higher up money places, not enough people with an ear to younger people interest for the movies maybe clicking to the next generation, not enough stories / movies giving me a reason to want to watch it on a big screen instead of at home, movies possible to appel to younger and older ones often too simpel and and and

And maybe partly too old people in movie details descicion making positions having no clue what to do e.g. a strong female character,... characters and stories... not matching the times/understandings they grew up with

Plus I think the many mergings of the studios,... might have been be a mistake too, depending on the people in high places and the studio, not counting for all of them.

That is, what I think Disney did good (for their situation). Own the new studios, be clear about that, but let them be alive enough, have them their own creative people... so the audience still see those studios and their products.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baumer Fett said:

Did you guys know that Cameron loves Star Wars? And Lucas and Cameron are buds. So if they can get along maybe we should as well lol seriously this stuff is just pointless banter. It's very exciting for those of us you just love seeing records fall, to see Star Wars soar past avatar by about a quarter of a billion dollars but we all know that avatar is the worldwide king. So I don't see any point in this dick measuring stuff back and forth. Plus tele has already said to let it go. So let it go.

You had to bring Frozen into this convo 

:ph34r:

1 hour ago, Baumer Fett said:

Okay we all know avatar is the King worldwide and Star Wars is the Kings domestically. There's anything more really need to be said? Guys let this go. I don't want to see anybody get suspended for a day or week or anything. There have been clear instructions that if you want to discuss this stuff go to the Speak Easy and go into the thread that our fearless leader created. I cannot remove these posts as I'm on my phone right now. Just let the stuff go guys

tumblr_mtq7clXDuL1rikwsko1_400.gif

41 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

Um, TFA proves exactly that which you are so against. It's no different than other franchises, only in size.

• Like 2

It is not cowardice, its about risk logic and reason. 

Like I had a chance to open up a new complete business but have to build it from nothing, hire talent, build a reputation. If I was successful, I could make more money.... 

Or I could have just invested in a ongoing concern which has those things and its already profitable but I make less. 

So the choices are safe or risky with chances of great failure or success. 

Studio Weekend Estimates (Domestic)

Weinstein:
The Hateful Eight                 $16,240,000    252%    2,474       2374       $6,564    $29,577,963
Carol                                    $1,215,000      11%       189            9       $6,429      $5,014,748    

Sony Classic:
Son of Saul                                $36,801       8%           4            0       $9,200        $162,574    

GKIDS:
Only Yesterday (2016 re-issue)    $13,329        --             1            --     $13,329         $13,329   

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Plus:

I really do not know why great stories,... 'always' have to be expensive movies.

I dare to say even a, lets say 5 person cast ... in one or three locations can be the base of a great movie.

That's really the main "problem". The Disney model has become the one that every other studio aspires to. Original movies with medium budgets that aren't comedies getting extinct outside of oscar season. And you can't really fault the studios especially after how this year turned out. If you look at the original non-comedy movies with 20-90M budgets in 2015 the picture is dire. Yes some of the award movies that got released late in the year (Big Short, Hateful8, Joy, Spotlight, Bridge of Spies) will probably end up nice little hits when all is said and done. But outside of awards darlings? Straight outta Compton, Kingsman and the Intern are the only ones that you would call def hits.

Movies like Sicario, Everest, Focus, Southpaw, Everest who grossed over 2x their budget WW will barely make a profit theatrically. Movies like Jobs, Blackhat, Our Brand is Crisis, Black Mass, Crimson Peak, Aloha, The Walk, Burnt were bombing left and right this year.

Edited by Joel M
  • Like 1