AndyLL

Derby Tournaments - 1st Tournament starts this week!!!

So you thought the Derby was just being accurate in picking the grosses in 10 movies per week?

It's tough to beat 99 other players to come up on top in any given week.

However... can you beat just 1 other player?  

Introducing the Derby Tournament.

You'll be paired against one other Derby player.  You beat him/her... you move on to the next round.

Finish in the top 3 to win a prize.

Here's an example of how it will look:

http://derby.boxofficetheory.com/DerbyTournamentResults.aspx

Make sure you play the Derby this week to be part of the 1st Derby Tournament!

Andy 

• Like 8

15 hours ago, Darth AndyLL said:

So you thought the Derby was just being accurate in picking the grosses in 10 movies per week?

It's tough to beat 99 other players to come up on top in any given week.

However... can you beat just 1 other player?  

Introducing the Derby Tournament.

You'll be paired against one other Derby player.  You beat him/her... you move on to the next round.

Finish in the top 3 to win a prize.

Here's an example of how it will look:

Make sure you play the Derby this week to be part of the 1st Derby Tournament!

Andy 

Great. We haven't even started this yet and I've already lost. :(

• Like 5

I've updated the test game with the results from the last 2 Derby Games. Started with 107 players and the lowest seed left is 20.

Might be skewed a little because of the timing. My brackets are powers of 2 so 21 players got byes in the 1st round.

The 2nd round was Christmas and about 30 of the original 107 did not play which basically generated more byes.

The #1 seed has only had to compete against another player just once out of the 3 rounds.

• Like 1

This 1st Box Office Theory Derby Tournament is starting this week... January 8th.

You do not have to do anything special.... just make your Derby picks as normal.

I will be awarding a Fandango gift card ( or the equivalent in account credits for non-USA members ) to the winner.   Account credits to 2nd and 3rd place.

Don't miss out... go make your picks now!

http://derby.boxofficetheory.com/Predictions.aspx

I don't really see the point of this, it just seems like something that will end with similar results to the normal game, but with somewhat less accurate standing after the winner because of lucky/unlucky draws.

1 hour ago, Tower said:

I don't really see the point of this, it just seems like something that will end with similar results to the normal game, but with somewhat less accurate standing after the winner because of lucky/unlucky draws.

Same reason you have a tournament in any game.... it's a different way of picking a winner.

I will be shocked if it produces a winner that's in the top 5 in the normal game ( for the same period )

In the normal game scores you just have to be consistently good through out the period.  You can have a bad week and still win if you do well enough the other weeks.

In a single elimination tournament you have to win every week.  One bad week and you're out.

In the 3 Derby games we've played @Matrix4You has won 2 of them.  However he was 16th in the 2nd game.  He is pretty easily in the lead for Derby total standings but in a tournament there would've been a decent chance he would have been out.

The test tournament is skewed because so many people played the 1st Derby and so many people missed the 2nd Derby because it was Christmas.  You won't get too many forfeits in a normal Tournament.

This is also a way I can reward people that play the Derby seriously weekly.   

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, AndyLL said:

Same reason you have a tournament in any game.... it's a different way of picking a winner.

I will be shocked if it produces a winner that's in the top 5 in the normal game ( for the same period )

In the normal game scores you just have to be consistently good through out the period.  You can have a bad week and still win if you do well enough the other weeks.

In a single elimination tournament you have to win every week.  One bad week and you're out.

In the 3 Derby games we've played @Matrix4You has won 2 of them.  However he was 16th in the 2nd game.  He is pretty easily in the lead for Derby total standings but in a tournament there would've been a decent chance he would have been out.

The test tournament is skewed because so many people played the 1st Derby and so many people missed the 2nd Derby because it was Christmas.  You won't get too many forfeits in a normal Tournament.

This is also a way I can reward people that play the Derby seriously weekly.   

That cleared things up, I thought the tournament would all take place on the same week, which would mean that whoever won the week would win all the head to heads, it all makes sense now.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tower said:

That cleared things up, I thought the tournament would all take place on the same week, which would mean that whoever won the week would win all the head to heads, it all makes sense now.

I see... nope.

Each week will see a new set of matches ( including only those that won their match the week before ) and that weeks Derby score will determine who wins the match that. week.

The 1st Tournament Bracket is up!

Once I verify that everything looks OK I'll ad a link to the Tournament page to the menu.

Over 64 members played the Derby this week.  Since my brackets are powers of 2 the bracket size is 128.

That means most players got a bye this week.  Only 8 of you have matches.

HOWEVER... even if you have a by you have to play the Derby to advance in the Tournament.

Don't play... you're out.

7 hours ago, No Prisoners said:

Can't see averages and other people's picks this week.  Glitch?

7 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

I can't see them either.

Also, I'm glad the tournament gave me a BYE this week cause ouch.

Fixed

• Like 3

I know this thread is a little light on feedback at the outset but I'll provide some.  I think it's really cool that you can take on an opponent each week - you get the opportunity to check out their stats and see what your competition looks like.  It's neat looking ahead on other brackets to see who you might face the following week - it's like March Madness year-round, Box Office style. 

Sure, everyone's goal is to finish as well as they can in the regular Derby but this is another fun element to incorporate.  I'd have no idea how to create the brackets like this and am sure appreciative someone figured it out!  Looking forward to it finally being out of the test phase!

Edited by Rolling Thunder
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Rolling Thunder said:

I know this thread is a little light on feedback at the outset but I'll provide some.  I think it's really cool that you can take on an opponent each week - you get the opportunity to check out their stats and see what your competition looks like.  It's neat looking ahead on other brackets to see who you might face the following week - it's like March Madness year-round, Box Office style. 

Thanks.  

After I'm sure the main tournament is working as it should I'll add some functionality to make the display a little easier and add the ability to see your opposites predictions/record easily.

• Like 1