druv10

8M TFA Rth Monday number!!! SW7 has surpassed TA1 & F7 for 4th alltime WW!!!

15 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Hey, how about we debate something simpler: who was the better home run hitter, Babe Ruth, Hank Aaron, or Barry Bonds? Clearly the numbers must show us a definitive answer, right?

Bebe Ruth was the better pitcher.

Spoiler

StrawMan2.jpg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

December 2017 will be interesting if Cameron really does have Avatar 2 ready for that date. It's only a matter of time before Disney announced VIII for that release, and releasing the two together would be crazy stupid. SW wouldn't budge though and Cameron loves his December releases, so I'd imagine Avatar 2 isn't coming until December 2018 whether its ready or not. 

I thought VIII was releasing in May 2017. Do you think they're going to move it to December?

Just now, spazz91 said:

I thought VIII was releasing in May 2017. Do you think they're going to move it to December?

They'd be crazy to keep it in that date after what TFA did with a Holiday release. That scheduling never made a lick of sense in the first place since it was a mere 5 months after Rogue One's release, which now has a great shot at being the blockbuster of 2016. RO would probably barely be out of theaters a month when VIII hit. It is just stupid scheduling and they are cutting into VIII's success potential in a big way if they don't change it. It probably has already been moved, just not announced. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Hey, how about we debate something simpler: who was the better home run hitter, Babe Ruth, Hank Aaron, or Barry Bonds? Clearly the numbers must show us a definitive answer, right?

Hidden Content

This was a rhetorical statement ppl. ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jayhawk the Hutt said:

Homestead Grays FTW!

Always proud that my city boasted both the Pittsburgh Crawfords and the Homestead Grays. Good stuff. Awesome little history center in town has some cool stuff dedicated to both teams.

http://www.heinzhistorycenter.org/exhibits/negro-league-baseball 

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

They'd be crazy to keep it in that date after what TFA did with a Holiday release. That scheduling never made a lick of sense in the first place since it was a mere 5 months after Rogue One's release, which now has a great shot at being the blockbuster of 2016. RO would probably barely be out of theaters a month when VIII hit. It is just stupid scheduling and they are cutting into VIII's success potential in a big way if they don't change it. It probably has already been moved, just not announced. 

I'm just afraid we're going to get some series fatigue with VIII, IX, RO, Han Solo movie, and probably others too all coming out within the next 3 years.. I would have been OK with a 2-3 year gap between at least the major episodic releases.

4 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

Have you seen the film yet Noctis?

Not yet. Some of my friends have told me to go watch it, but eh...I've been busy. 

I'll try to watch it this weekend, though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, peludo said:

That list seems a bit random and not too accurate, as you well say. Probably most of the films of the list are in the top 10, maybe all of them, but figures and even ranking are not very good calculated. Talking about recent films, Titanic is, FOR SURE, bigger than Avatar. And Avatar does not adjust to 3 billion. Not even close. In fact, it adjusts to a lower amount than it really did because of exchange rates and 3D "doping". With standard tickets, it maybe adjusts to 2.3-2.4b range. And to know how much adjust older films it is quite harder.

Also, you can't do an adjusted WW list also for the fact that the WW markets were at different places for each of those movies times.  Add to that exchange rates and it's just impossible to do fairly.

Despite Tele derailing the thread into baseball history, he makes a good point.

For all you golf fans out there, I think the game of golf is a great comparison.

Back in 1970 when Jack Nicklaus hit his driver 280 yards and now Rory McIlroy hits it 320 does that mean Rory was a better distance driver? Not necessarily-technology and equipment change have changed to improve distance/accuracy.

How about if Jack shot -5 in 1970 when the course was under 7000 yards in length compared to if Rory shot -5 when it's now over 7400 yards in length?  Rory has to play the course over 400 yards longer.  Fair? Who knows?

There are so many variables that can't be realistically prepared.  The best way is to compare it to it's contemporaries.  How does is stack against the competition of it's time?

Edited by Dark 33Legend of the Sith
  • Like 9

13 minutes ago, spazz91 said:

I'm just afraid we're going to get some series fatigue with VIII, IX, RO, Han Solo movie, and probably others too all coming out within the next 3 years.. I would have been OK with a 2-3 year gap between at least the major episodic releases.

Definitely some fatigue. None of them, especially the spin-offs, will come within $200M DOM of VII. Zeitgeist epitomized with The Force Awakens. Just refer to Age Of Ultron, Dark Knight Rises, At World's End, Attack Of The Clones & Revenge Of The Sith, Empire Strikes Back & Return Of The Jedi, etc for a quick study. Hell, even the universally loved Spidey 2 couldn't match Spidey. Not to mention, I doubt Harry Potter 7.2 matched Harry Potter 1 in ticket sales either. Lord Of The Rings managed to avoid this fate though...

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Punishment said:

Ruth hit more home runs in a season than all other American League teams twice, 1920 and 1927; like Gone with the Wind's legendary box office.

Baseball and Box Office, two of my favorites - thanks Tele :)

That is such a great stat.

The only caveat is that baseball at the time wasn't home run centered.  Players were taught to slap the ball, hit line drives instead of driving the ball so when a home run hitter came along like Ruth that type of stat would be possible. There is no way Ruth could have ever done that in this day in age due to the style of play.  It's another great example of how many different factors go into comparing greatness from different eras.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, 1Robert1 said:

After 17 days JW made $ 500 mln, then only 152, TFA needs 258mln, it's 70% more, so if JW made 6.5 mln in 18th day TFA should have 11 mln, so i don't really understand how TFA can make 1 bln. 

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by bladels
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Yeah, reproducing the excitement of Ep 7 won't happen again anytime soon ... especially with the business model Disney has decided for Star Wars.

That business model is going to make them billions per year in toy and merchandise sales.