terrestrial

Wednesday 6th, 2016 | SW 7 $6.2M = $764.4 = Officially #1 | DH 1.54 | H8 1.44 | Sisters 1.16 | BigShort 869k | Joy 855k | p.7 chart

1 hour ago, Daxtreme said:

I'm fairly certain that The Force Awakens' box office run will remain unmatched by any further Star Wars movies, unless they stop making them again and the same thing happens sometimes in 30 years. Here's why:

- We will get 1 Star Wars movie each year from now on. I don't think such a frequency of movies can hit the right strings again for such a box office run. Huge numbers, sure, but not TFA-level. See: Marvel Cinematic Universe.

- This movie's hype was unreal, and further enhanced by the original cast returning for the first time since 1983. That's not something the next movies can easily replicate. A "perfect storm of factors" of some sort.

- Although it was technically a sequel, it felt more like a reboot, and thus, could be watched by anyone. I have a feeling that the upcoming movies will have "required viewings" prior to them, which reduce box office intakes (generally).

This trilogy will act just like the previous two. 

First movie grosses the highest

Second movie grosses the least

Third movies falls in between

So something like:

TFA - 985m

Ep8 - 810

Ep9 - 905

• Like 6

1 minute ago, junkshop36 said:

So something like:

TFA - 985m

Ep8 - 810

Ep9 - 905

In all likelihood you're probably right, but I hope it performs more like the LOTR trilogy ;)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, junkshop36 said:

So something like:

TFA - 985m

Ep8 - 810

Ep9 - 905

Well ... If it performs that well it means we are going to have awesome years of BO runs !

810 M DOM is the least ? OMG that tops previous all time record it's amazing.

I am a little more pessimistic, but hell I'd love to see those runs.

Edit : I also hope they will cast Sophie Marceau.

Edited by RascarCapat
Forgot to mention Sophie Marceau

6 hours ago, In the Heart of the Tree said:

stunning visuals/cinematography =/= 3D

4 hours ago, Clef Ment said:

No.

My eyes can see the 3D effect and it was pretty useless in Avatar, totally overhyped. The CGI was incredible though.

I see in RL only 2D = means whilst driving a car, working... no depth perception, as in at all

Flour into a bowl? Without guiding the package with the 2nd hand contacting the bowl... at least a part of the flour is not in the bowl...

The first time in my life (not only watching a movie) I saw 3D was (and still is) watching Avatar in 3D in a 4k cinema.

Doesn't work with Notebooks, monitors... that can provide 3D, doesn't work with the shatter glasses (give me headache till puking).

I know for sure that I am not the only one, as there are even analysis based on it = before Avatar it was thought 3%-4% of the world-wide population only see 2D.

Now we know we are 15%

The reason I am 2D sighted = mini cast in the eye = as a child they should have trained them via covering one eye... you'll have seen children like that, or?

Fun thing about that: doctor told so my mother, she was too lazy to do it.

= please get your children, nephews/nieces,... to an ophthalmologist early on, it can be trained if realised under the age of 6 years old.

3 hours ago, JonathanLB said:

I'm going crazy again :P

Thats 16 viewings by the end of Monday!

You are nuts (nicely meant)

2 hours ago, Blan Solo said:

This is my new favorite advertising holy shit :rofl: 

I aim to serve, happy you like it.

Edited by terrestrial
typo + please...

I have just seen a promotion clip for TFA in China and I thought I would share it with you guys :

Yep.... That's bad taste (and I'm not talking about the one by Peter Jackson, that one was awesome).

Edited by RascarCapat

Supporting actress: Alicia Vikander / Jennifer Jason Leigh / Julie Walters / Kate Winslet / Rooney Mara

Best Actor: Bryan Cranston / Eddie Redmayne / Leonardo DiCaprio / Matt Damon / Michael Fassbender

Best Actress: Alicia Vikander / Brie Larson / Cate Blanchett / Maggie Smith / Saoirse Ronan

Outstanding British Film: 45 Years / Amy / Brooklyn / The Danish Girl / Ex Machina / The Lobster

Bridge Of Spies, Carol lead with 9 noms. The Revenant gets 8. Mad Max: Fury Road with 7. Brooklyn and The Martian get 6.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, RascarCapat said:

yep.... That's bad taste

Aehm, it's another taste... (one that I do not share, but accept for being 'alien' to me, I have not enough insight to judge it)

Edited by terrestrial

So something like:

TFA - 985m

Ep8 - 810

Ep9 - 905

TFA - 950

Ep8 - 700

EP9 - 800

So something like:

TFA - 985m

Ep8 - 810

Ep9 - 905

If it behaves like the first two trilogies the drop to #2 will be around 30-32% and the third will rise 20-26%

Ep 8: $670m - $690m

Ep 9: $804m - $869m

15 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

It seems based on people waiting for cheaper ticket price special offers (that are nowadays very typical) a lot of people waited to the last moment to pre-order their tickets (Disney didn't do that = all full price)

It picks up rather fastly for the moment

6-7hours till midnights start there....

China, SW 7, interesting to follow at the China Forum here at BOT

Btw, the currency exchange rate too changed - again :wacko:

1 hour ago, ArmGunar said:

Minions (final gross - $68,490,000)
12.09.2015 Beijing time 00:01 -- Minions - 57328 (Premier)

Jurassic World (final gross - $228,740,000)
09.06.2015 Beijing time 00:00 -- JW - 73115 (1 day before premier)
10.06.2015 Beijing time 00:00 -- JW - 184599 (Premier)

Furious 7 (final gross - $390,910,000)
2015-04-11 23:36 - 472,900 (24 minutes before premier)

Age of Ultron (final gross - $240,110,000)
05-10 22:31 250,953 (1.5 hours before premier)

TFA:
http://www.gewara.com/movie/224406330
1 pm ~336k (11 hours before premier)
2 pm 370,094 (10 hours before premier)
3 pm 405,750 (9 hours before premier)
4 pm 450,775 (8 hours before premier)
5 pm 470,130 (7 hours before premier)
6 pm 492,937 (6 hours before premier)

actual: 552,748 (~ 1 hour later, ~ 5 hours before the premier)

Pre-sales China are exploding.

But:

ticket-buys in 2015 were done 59% as pre-sales (growing already a lot out of 2014 habits), but during the last part of the year that grew to ~75% (see China Forum => China Box Office: General Discussion Thread)

Means the same count of pre-sales today = usually a lot less walk-ups are common as even in summer 2015

= pre-sale numbers should not mean the same, especially as Disney didn't offer sales promotions

= other per ticket average.

But it does look better for OD

What's more thrilling = watch the crazy pre-sales in dom... and all the crazy numbers during OW.... or watch a seemingly unpredictable (as Disney didn't do the usual promotion sales offers) OW in China (not to forget: they got only a 2 day OW release date)

Can't wait for actuals there too (and dom till including Thursday after MLK)

Edited by terrestrial

10 hours ago, Jayhawk the Hutt said:

I'm pretty sure he will. It's tradition and the reason he was inspired to join the film business in the first place was SW. In all seriousness, I'm sure he's not salty at all. He's too rich and engrossed in making his own film to care all that much.

Seeing the CGI in Star Wars is what he says was the moment he finally decided to go into filmmaking. He would be doing Locust a solid by snub'n TFA.

The Hollywwod Reporter seems to ave pick up on the article of Chinese (or was it China) Insider (or wrote their own piece), tp me an interesting read (as so rarely certain details get pointed out in western outlets)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-star-wars-force-852823

4 hours ago, RascarCapat said:

I have just seen a promotion clip for TFA in China and I thought I would share it with you guys :

Yep.... That's bad taste (and I'm not talking about the one by Peter Jackson, that one was awesome).

Hey that was pretty cool.