WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 93): TFA 42.35M | The Revenant 39.83M | Daddy's Home 15.02M | The Forest 12.74M | Sisters 7.19M

1 minute ago, Jay Salahi said:

I feel you. And I wont argue that at all.

However, when I watch trailers (you get tons of locations and set ups to view in order) I can call film or digital. I watched that new McConaughey trailer today and instantly I knew it was digital. 

I don't think films try to mask it all the time though

At this point, most are shooting on digital anyway.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, filmlover said:

See the movie before you trash it. Otherwise, you just appear ridiculous right now.

Why watch the movie I'm sure the Honest Trailer will get me up to speed

So is Spotlight sweeping all the precursors so far because it is the most agreeable of the movies? I haven't seen it yet, but there seems to be a lack of strong support for all other contenders, so in these cases the choices seem to swing to the most agreeable movie rather than the actual best movie.

12 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Well, I think they've embraced digital for what they feel are strengths they prefer, and they're not interested in emulating a filmic look anyway.

Digital is just as good as film if you know what you're doing, David Fincher and Ridley Scott prove this imo.  I think the film crowd and their hardons for it will eventually disappear.

• Like 1

The game commentator kind of sucks at shilling movies, he almost ran out of time before he was able to say the release date of BvS and just now for Ride Along 2 he was supposed to say "Training day is over", instead he says "Training day is over?" and then confused himself for a second before quickly saying "Out this week" without specifying the movie name. 

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

But that very question assumes an inherent superiority of digital, which isn't the case. It's one aesthetic versus another. Different paintbrushes to use.

From what I understand, digital cameras can also do things film cannot do especially how to capture natural lights (light sensitivity) with minimal or no extra lighting.

Mann seemed obsessed by this very early on (night scenes in Collateral and Miami Vice) and you can see this in movies like Drive & Nightcrawler.

Don't think you could capture urban night scenes like these with film cameras.

Just now, Ozymandias said:

Digital is just as good as film if you know what you're doing, David Fincher and Ridley Scott prove this imo.  I think the film crowd and their hardons for it will eventually disappear.

Watercolor is just as good as oil-based paint.

Graphite is just as good as pen and ink.

Stone is just as good as marble.

Different tools, man.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

From what I understand, digital cameras can also do things film cannot do especially how to capture natural lights (light sensitivity) with minimal or no extra lighting.

Yes, digital sensors register light differently than chemically activated cellulose. Shooting in low light is one trait of digital that can be very beneficial. There are other areas where film stock (and film cameras) can be more beneficial to a project instead. It comes down to what the DP prefers and feels is best for the project -- some of which are practical reasons and not just artistic ones.

Revenant is beautiful, you might not have the intelligence to get it, but that's fine, that's why studios make brainless films, too. It's only fair to cater for everyone.

Digital still hasn't caught up on film, but it's a matter of time. As of now 70mm is still the highest quality. I'm privileged to live in a city when the QT roadshow was presented in Ultra Panavision.

Edited by The Dark Alfred
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Revenant is beautiful you might not have the intelligence to get it, but that's fine, that's why studios make brainless films, too. It's only fair to cater for everyone.

• Like 8