WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 93): TFA 42.35M | The Revenant 39.83M | Daddy's Home 15.02M | The Forest 12.74M | Sisters 7.19M

6 hours ago, stripe said:

How many f-ck yeah! will say JJ Abrams while he is reading the noms?

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

Guys, JJ announced the nominees last year :lol: This year is Guillermo Del Toro, Ang Lee, and John Krasinski.

That was my mistake, I already edited the post with the details.

I went to the Oscar website and I do not know why, but there were the 2015 details for me to see / copied (I didn't have it in the cache!?)

= 1 page back the corrected details

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Baumer said:

FOTR:  Fellowship of the Ring

TTT:  The Two Towers: 

ROTK: Return of the King

TFA:  The Force Awakens

ROTJ: Return of the Jedi

ROTS:  Revenge of the Sith

So many acronyms...we should open a thread for just film acronyms.

That would be really a help, especially as for us foreigners the acronyms often make no sense... as we got often enough other ones

Like LotR = HdR  (Herr der Ringe = Herr can be mister or ~ boss), FotR = Die Gefährten (~ the companions, the mates) = never seen as acronym

as acronym might be e.g. HdR 1, here seldom a part 2 or 3 gets an own acronym.... (at least not in my age group) or LotR 1 = I am guessing it's the same in a lot of other countries too

• Like 1

Ok, I'll make one, and sticky it in the Speakeasy.  Anyone can contribute and I'll add them to the first post as we get them.

I'm watching Trumbo right now...will get to it later.

BTW....how the hell is Diane Lane still so darned hot?

Just for fun, in the spoiler tags the lengthy list from IMb about how SW 7 is called in other languages

Spoiler
(original title) Star Wars: The Force Awakens
  Sutâ wôzu: Fôsu no kakusei
Argentina Star Wars: El despertar de la fuerza
Bulgaria (Bulgarian title) Междузвездни войни: Силата се пробужда
Bolivia (poster title) Star Wars: El Despertar de la Fuerza
Brazil (long title) Star Wars: Episódio VII - O Despertar da Força
Brazil Star Wars: O Despertar da Força
Chile Star Wars: El Despertar de la Fuerza
Chile (literal translation of working title) Star Wars: Episodio VII
Czech Republic Star Wars: Sila se probouzi
Germany Star Wars: Das Erwachen der Macht
Estonia (reissue title) Star Wars: Jõud tärkab
Spain Star Wars: El despertar de la fuerza
Finland (alternative transliteration) Tähtien Sota: Episodi 7
France Star Wars: Le réveil de la Force
Greece Star Wars: Η δύναμη ξυπνάει
Croatia Ratovi zvijezda: Sila se budi
Hungary Star Wars - Az ébredő Erő
Italy Star Wars - Il risveglio della Forza
Italy (alternative title) Star Wars: Episodio VII - Il risveglio della Forza
Lithuania Zvaigzdziu karai: galia nubunda
Latvia Zvaigznu Kari: Speks Mostas
Republic of Macedonia (complete title) Vojna na Zvezdite: Silata se budi
Mexico Star Wars: El despertar de la fuerza
Poland (complete title) Gwiezdne wojny. Czesc VII - Przebudzenie mocy
Poland Gwiezdne wojny: Przebudzenie mocy
Portugal Star Wars: O Despertar da Força
Serbia (alternative title) Ratovi zvezda: Budjenje sile
Serbia Zvezdani ratovi: Buđenje sile
Russia Звёздные войны: Пробуждение Силы
Slovakia Star Wars: Sila sa prebúdza
Turkey (Turkish title) Yildiz Savaslari: Güç Uyaniyor
Ukraine Зорянi вiйни: Пробудження сили
USA (long title) Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens
USA Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Vietnam Star Wars: Than Luc Thuc Tinh

4 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Ok, I'll make one, and sticky it in the Speakeasy.  Anyone can contribute and I'll add them to the first post as we get them.

Ikr? 40 years old would be a bit hard to believe, 50 is preposterous. 

7 minutes ago, Baumer said:

She is a goddess and that's the reason.

Edited by efialtes76
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Baumer said:

We really need an AT

49 minutes ago, Baumer said:

@Baumer, this is actually something we admins can add to the forum software: in fact, we already have a running list. Any acronym that has a definition will have a little dashed line underneath, like this: TFA. JW. ROTPOTA. Mouse over the word and the full definition will pop up.

We've added a bunch of movies from recent years, but there hasn't been any rhyme or reason, so I'm sure there are plenty of gaps. So if people want to PM us anything that we haven't added yet, go for it.

• Like 11

6 hours ago, RogueLeader said:

Laser IMAX?

The hell is that?

I've never even heard of it. Sounds awesome.

IMAX is slowly converting their theaters to laser projection: it means a much brighter, more vivid picture. They double-stack two 4K laser projectors (to minimize aliasing) as well. Right now only a few IMAX theaters have it.

Laser projection isn't exclusive to IMAX, though, and slowly other theaters are adding it as well. I know the Arclight Hollywood Dome has it, and so does the Cinerama Dome in Seattle.

1 minute ago, Baumer said:

Thanks @Telemachos

This is something I don't think everyone knows.  Is there a way to make this more widely known to our members?

I feel like there are a ton of little things about the new software that maybe aren't well known (even to me). Someday, when we have time, it'd be a good idea to build a FAQ about all of it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

@Baumer, this is actually something we admins can add to the forum software: in fact, we already have a running list. Any acronym that has a definition will have a little dashed line underneath, like this: TFA. JW. ROTPOTA. Mouse over the word and the full definition will pop up.

We've added a bunch of movies from recent years, but there hasn't been any rhyme or reason, so I'm sure there are plenty of gaps. So if people want to PM us anything that we haven't added yet, go for it.

That's pretty cool! Though I feel like most of our regulars have all these acronyms ingrained into their memory. Or maybe that's just me. :P

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

That's pretty cool! Though I feel like most of our regulars have all these acronyms ingrained into their memory. Or maybe that's just me. :P

It can get tricky with the some of the  the YA material and later sequels to Avengers, Star Wars, etc.... I'm not even certain on the full acronyms for Hunger Games, Divergent, etc. sequels. Hell, the new Star Wars too... RO:ASWS? Or, is it RO:SWS? Or, just RO? What a mess.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

17 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I always just thought those lines were those ad-activated words you see on other sites... kept my mouse far away from them.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

It can get tricky with the some of the  the YA material and later sequels to Avengers, Star Wars, etc.... I'm not even certain on the full acronyms for Hunger Games, Divergent, etc. sequels. Hell, the new Star Wars too... RO:ASWS? Or, is it RO:SWS? Or, just RO? What a mess.

I'm sure we'll just go with RO around here, since we don't use that for anything else. For some reason ASM always bugged me for The Amazing Spider-Man. I refuse to not use TASM:P

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

THG CF MJ1 MJ2 TPM AOTC ROTS ANH ESB ROTJ TFA RO

Edited by misafeco
  • Like 2