GiantCALBears

Legendary Entertainment acquired by China's Wanda Group for $3.5b

Do you guys think this effects their already planned Godzilla/Kong Cinematic Universe in a negative way? I would think it can only make those releases stronger... especially since Tull is still CEO. Just more clarification on already planned releases would be nice... but I would think they should all be a go still.

Quick question. I thought that production companies can't own movie theaters in the US (or at least, a significant share of theaters) due to anti-trust laws? How can Wanda own AMC and Legendary at the same time? Is it because Legendary is not a distributor?

2 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I can't help but think Wanda has overpaid for Legendary, Marvel and LucasFilm were bought for only half a billion more by Disney and they have valuable IP. Legendary doesn't even have that.

If they can get more than 25% of teh gross and/or have a longer release window for their films, this could be worth the money. Plus, it gets the Chinese film market a foothold in Hollywood, which they desperately wanted. I think both the Marvel and Lucasfilm acquisitions are seen as steals. Both easily could've (should've?) at least double.

• Like 1