Impact

Best Picture predictions-2016!

17 hours ago, yjs said:

just realized that no Best Picture winner in the last 10 years had not been screened any time later than early October. Is this a sign that La La Land is in a good place?

You can make that 11 years since Crash also got released before mid-October. It's a by product of the Oscar ceremony moving from late March to late February that happened in 2003. The first two winners since the date switch were both December movies (ROTK, Million Dollar Baby) but after that all the winners have opened or at least made the festival rounds by mid-October. Billy Lynn opens Oct. 14 at NYFF so it'll also have been seen by mid-October, barely but still.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joel M said:

You can make that 11 years since Crash also got released before mid-October. It's a by product of the Oscar ceremony moving from late March to late February that happened in 2003.  Billy Lynn opens Oct. 14 at NYFF so it'll also have been seen by mid-October, barely but still.

good points!

On 10/9/2016 at 8:28 AM, Joel M said:

You can make that 11 years since Crash also got released before mid-October. It's a by product of the Oscar ceremony moving from late March to late February that happened in 2003. The first two winners since the date switch were both December movies (ROTK, Million Dollar Baby) but after that all the winners have opened or at least made the festival rounds by mid-October. Billy Lynn opens Oct. 14 at NYFF so it'll also have been seen by mid-October, barely but still.

Don't know why you're saying Crash was an October release. It premiered at the Toronto International Film Festival in September 2004, but it didn't get an Oscar qualifying run until May 2005.

Edited by cannastop

10 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Don't know why you're saying Crash was an October release. It premiered at the Toronto International Film Festival in September 2004, but it didn't get an Oscar qualifying run until May 2005.

I know but I just said it was released before mid-October since that is used as a benchmark to support the stat that all recent BP winners have opened early and thus films released later in the year like Silence, Fences or Revenant and Big Short last year can't win anymore. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jake Gittes said:

1. La La Land

2. Manchester By The Sea

3. Silence

4. Arrival

5. Fences

6. Jackie

7. Hell or High Water

8. Moonlight

Dark horses: Nocturnal Animals, The Lobster, Love & Friendship, Sully, Loving, Lion

Sully isn't really a dark horse here, in my opinion.

17 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

You think it gets enough #1 votes?

It's WB's main push this year (Live By Night looks like a tech push) and it's probably gonna make more than every other movie in the running with the only movies that seem to have potential make more being La La Land and Arrival. I have it in my lineup as well.

1. La la land

2. Silence

3. Live by Night

4. Fences

5. Jackie

6. Manchester by the Sea

7. Moonlight

8. Arrival

9. Hidden Figures

10. 20th century women

alternates- loving, hell or high water

Edited by Halba

On 5/9/2016 at 2:35 PM, stripe said:

After all the (unnecessary and unfair) campaign against lack of diversity I really doubt we are going to have an all white list of nominees.

That puts on the radar five films, and I still think at least two of them will make the cut. Oneof these are already out because of its BO weak results and the controversy.

Fences. The most classic Oscar contender.

Moonlight. The critical darling. 

Loving. Still in the conversation.

Queen of Katwe. Solid critic reactions. Tiff. But really poor BO.

Hidden Figures.

Besides these films, it looks like there are four strong movies that are already receiving strong WOM before opening.

La La Land

Arrival

Manchester by the sea

Jackie

Still have to hear things about other possible frontrunner

Silence

Other possibilities

Lion (never ever underestimate Weinstein)

Passengers (more like a mainstream choice if it delivers)

Nocturnal Animals (with some strong reviews)

Rules Don't Apply

Allied (doubtful at this moment)

Sully (BO success, Eastwood, solid reviews)

The Founder (will this open finally?)

20th Century Women (good early reviews)

Live by Night

A Monster Calls (if it is succesful in December)

Out of the race

Girl on a train

Billy Lynn (too divisive)

The birth of a Nation

I have bolded the ones I am more confident about at this moment.

Updated

• Like 1

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

Moonlight is off to an even stronger start than Carol at the BO so I don't think there's much of a reason to worry about it getting pushed out in the end like that movie did.

I checked the numbers, it seemed it did more on one day what room did entire weekend last year for limited release, I don't know much about limited release numbers,  but is very high right?

5 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

I checked the numbers, it seemed it did more on one day what room did entire weekend last year for limited release, I don't know much about limited release numbers,  but is very high right?

It's going for the biggest PTA for limited platform opener since The Revenant. The fact it's looking to join the elite $100K launch club despite having no major names in the cast is pretty astonishing on its own.

• Like 2

A Monster Calls

Arrival

Fences

Jackie

La La Land

Live By Night

Manchester By The Sea

Moonlight

Silence

Sully

My predicted nominees (in Italic the two extras should the Academy bump the number back to 10).

DARK HORSES: Hell Or High Water [unlikely, but possible just in case one of the predicted nominees underwhelms alas The Danish Girl]; Hidden Figures [honestly I think it depends more on success than quality]; Lion [would've been a lock if Carol had been nominated this year]; Loving [the likeliest of dark horses, missing by just a beat]; Passengers [just for a mainstream bite, alas Mad Max and The Martian this year]

28 minutes ago, slambros said:

I think Hacksaw Ridge is being underestimated here, especially after Billy Lynn received both mixed reviews to begin with, and lower scores than the WW2 drama. I guess time and box office will tell.

It really depends on how voters react to Mel Gibson.