Impact

Best Picture predictions-2016!

I had a simple formula last year for assessing awards potential. I just watched all the films I could and tried as objectively as possible to rate them on quality and whether I liked them. Give or take a couple of surprises I pretty accurately picked all the nominees for the Oscars and most of the precursors. 

In the past I got caught up in PR hype and predictions from self styled 'pundits' who just guess along with the rest of us but dress it up as some kind of inside knowledge.

Bonus tip -avoid ranting bloggers like Sasha Stone and that weasel  Scott Feinberg.

scorcese 'silence'. nothing else comes close. historical epic oscar bait like last samurai, and liam neeson is an epic lead actor. andrew garfield is also resurgent and in form now esp with '99 homes'. as is adam driver, fresh from star wars success.

Edited by Halba

35 minutes ago, Halba said:

scorcese 'silence'. nothing else comes close. historical epic oscar bait like last samurai, and liam neeson is an epic lead actor. andrew garfield is also resurgent and in form now esp with '99 homes'. as is adam driver, fresh from star wars success.

Neeson is not the lead. Garfield is.

• Like 1

Anyone here anything about The Lost City of Z? not sure if it is awards contender or not. but it's sounds super interesting to me. an historical adventure epic set in the 1920s, based off a rather well recieved non-fiction book. the cast is intriguing too.

Definitely keeping an eye on that one. Hunnam in the lead role gives me a slight pause but James Gray is one of the best working filmmakers, it'd be nice if he finally broke out big with this one especially after Weinstein killed and buried The Immigrant. 

I think James Gray is just to niche to really break out. Linklater arguably did it with Boyhood but he was always a more mainstream friendly filmmaker. Some of his movies that made very little at the BO really broke through beyond movie geek/festival crowds after their theatrical run (Dazed&Confused, Before trilogy).

I see Gray as more similar to Todd Haynes. He had Weinstein, an intiruing subject, and two "hot" at the moment leading ladies, but Carol only went so far both in awards and BO.

8 hours ago, Kalo said:

Anyone here anything about The Lost City of Z? not sure if it is awards contender or not. but it's sounds super interesting to me. an historical adventure epic set in the 1920s, based off a rather well recieved non-fiction book. the cast is intriguing too.

It's a fantastic book. I wish Brad Pitt was still on board.

1 hour ago, Joel M said:

I see Gray as more similar to Todd Haynes. He had Weinstein, an intiruing subject, and two "hot" at the moment leading ladies, but Carol only went so far both in awards and BO.

Well, Carol went almost all the way when it came to award nominations. Yeah, Gray's last two films were melodramas that were heavy on subtlety and restraint (I haven't seen Carol, but it sounds similar in that way), so they probably wouldn't have found a big audience even with strong distributors/promotion behind them. But his sensibility is also far from alienating, and if he made something widely acclaimed and at least given a chance at the box office, I don't see why he wouldn't get award recognition. Then again, it's really hard to tell with Lost City of Z because it's a very different genre and budget than he's ever had before. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Joel M said:

I think James Gray is just to niche to really break out. Linklater arguably did it with Boyhood but he was always a more mainstream friendly filmmaker. Some of his movies that made very little at the BO really broke through beyond movie geek/festival crowds after their theatrical run (Dazed&Confused, Before trilogy).

Expect this story sounds a lot more mainstream to me, if done, and advertised right I could see it being a huge financial hit. and Carol did got a lot of awards recognition. 

Edited by Kalo

4 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

the december oscar bait probably won't get dated for a while. the big short wasn't even confirmed as a 2015 release until september.

True. I was just looking at the current December line up and none are BP type films (unless if there is something I don't know about The Strangers 2! Oh wait....)

6 hours ago, Impact said:

True. I was just looking at the current December line up and none are BP type films (unless if there is something I don't know about The Strangers 2! Oh wait....)

Passengers?