WrathOfHan

Wind River | August 4, 2017 | Taylor Sheridan directing and writing | Jeremy Renner, Elizabeth Olsen

27 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Well the good-but-not-glowing reviews from Sundance took a little care of that "most anticipated" thing back in January. Still wish I liked this a lot better though :sparta:

I think it's the 'least' of the Sheridan films but I quite enjoyed this one. I was glad to have not really seen more than 15 seconds of footage going in.

Another movie or two from now I'm probably gonna be begging for Sheridan to branch out a bit

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I think it's the 'least' of the Sheridan films but I quite enjoyed this one. I was glad to have not really seen more than 15 seconds of footage going in.

Another movie or two from now I'm probably gonna be begging for Sheridan to branch out a bit

Yearning for a white man in Asia movie from Sheridan, Pink?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Yeah. Female FBI agents way in over their heads, tense relationships between whites and Native Americans, and

Spoiler

fathers whose children died

are each a thing that's in the center of two of his three films. In Wind River it feels tiring because for whatever reason he doesn't play with our expectations re: character or structure the way he did in Sicario and HOHW.

Soldado is interesting because there's not much precedent for something like it, it could fall flat on its face or be something pretty inspired. Also next year we're getting a full season of TV he's written and directed which will probably be his biggest test yet. 

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, aabattery said:

Yearning for a white man in Asia movie from Sheridan, Pink?

"In Vietnam, it ain't luck. You survive, or you die. This place will chew you up and spit you out."

*Desolate shots of fishing villages*

*Female Asian lead who feels like a bit of a bystander while rugged badass male does the heavy lifting*

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, MrPink said:

"In Vietnam, it ain't luck. You survive, or you die. This place will chew you up and spit you out."

*Desolate shots of fishing villages*

*Female Asian lead who feels like a bit of a bystander while rugged badass male does the heavy lifting*

*a tiger chews on a corpse of a half-blown apart Vietcong*

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 1

3 hours ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

I think this has to expand this weekend or next.

I think it should take another small step this coming weekend and take the full leap for the next weekend when Tulip Fever is the only confirmed new wide release. Other independent films like Ingrid Goes West and Patti Cake$ will very likely try this as well.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, slambros said:

I think it should take another small step this coming weekend and take the full leap for the next weekend when Tulip Fever is the only confirmed new wide release. Other independent films like Ingrid Goes West and Patti Cake$ will very likely try this as well.

Patti Cake$ will not be going wide. It doesn't have the box office to do so.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, slambros said:

What kind of box office do you think a film needs to have a wide release?

Good PTAs. Patti Cake$ only made $4,829 per theater, and that will go down below 2k when it reaches a couple hundred theaters. Exhibitors will not want it wide.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Good PTAs. Patti Cake$ only made $4,829 per theater, and that will go down below 2k when it reaches a couple hundred theaters. Exhibitors will not want it wide.

That makes sense. So Wind River was known to stand a good chance when the film garnered a $40,000-ish PTA from four theaters on its opening weekend?