17 hours ago, Boxofficerules said:

I heard that there are going to be no press screenings for The Boy, we all know what that means....

it means it's as bad as the trailers are making it out to be? :P  

i hope for some good horror this year

44 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Because the genre needs it! 

nah, it needs a good film to break out

edit: as boxofficerules mostly said

Edited by 75live

19 hours ago, Boxofficerules said:

Wouldn't it be more beneficial for a good horror movie to break out rather than a PG13 POS?

Of course I would prefer to see a good horror movie breaking out, but after the disaster of last year, I'm taking any break out as good for the genre, lol 

And I don't get all this hate for PG13 movies, of course most of them are silly, but there are a lot of R movies so stupid as these movies, Insidious showed that is possible to make an amazing movie being PG13, and they're easy to break out, since they have a bigger audience than Rated R movies 

Edited by Mockingjay Raphael
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Aplandg said:

So many supernatural (ghosts/possession) horror movies once again. Thank goodness for Strangers 2 at least 

true, we need a new reinvention for the genre asap, what was the last reinvention that the genre brought? Found footage with PA? it's been almost one decade since this 

1 hour ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Of course I would prefer to see a good horror movie breaking out, but after the disaster of last year, I'm taking any break out as good for the genre, lol 

And I don't get all this hate for PG13 movies, of course most of them are silly, but there are a lot of R movies so stupid as these movies, Insidious showed that is possible to make an amazing movie being PG13, and they're easy to break out, since they have a bigger audience than Rated R movies 

Is that why a lot of R rated horror has done a lot better than their PG13 counterparts? The Conjuring and The Paranormal Activity series for example. Hell, the Saw series is in the Guinness Book Of Records for the most successful horror franchise of all time.

I find PG13 restricts horror too much. Also, for me, The Final Girls last year was the final straw with this PG13 bullshit. There was a movie that DARED call itself a love letter to movie like Friday The 13th. Jesus the reason Friday The 13th fans get so much shit is because of how violent those movies where. I cant Even talk about that movie without flashbacks to all the insults I got for loving slasher movies which I assume was the film makers intentions.

16 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

Is that why a lot of R rated horror has done a lot better than their PG13 counterparts? The Conjuring and The Paranormal Activity series for example. Hell, the Saw series is in the Guinness Book Of Records for the most successful horror franchise of all time.

I find PG13 restricts horror too much. Also, for me, The Final Girls last year was the final straw with this PG13 bullshit. There was a movie that DARED call itself a love letter to movie like Friday The 13th. Jesus the reason Friday The 13th fans get so much shit is because of how violent those movies where. I cant Even talk about that movie without flashbacks to all the insults I got for loving slasher movies which I assume was the film makers intentions.

Wasn't the whole Top 3 of biggest horror movies of last year all PG13 movies? When I say that it's easier to a PG13 movie to make success, it's because of the teen public, they eat almost everything, you don't even need to have a good premise, do you really think that movies like Ouija or The Forest would make the same success if they were released as Rated R movies? I don't think so, that's happens because the adult public that consumes Rated R movies are a bit more exigent when they choose to watch a movie than the teen public for example

And I never watched that movie that you talked about, but I can understand your frustration, how the hell can they expect to make a slasher movie being PG13?! 

Edited by Mockingjay Raphael
  • Like 1

I get the argument that any horror film making money is good for the genre as a whole, but I just can't bring myself to support/watch the same unoriginal PG-13 bullshit over and over again. Mainstream horror is in a terrible state at the moment and unfortunately I don't see that changing any time soon. They're dirt cheap and always make profit. As raphael said, those pesky teens will watch anything.

• Like 2

I've seen "The Witch" and it is FANTASTIC. I actually think it could make a decent amount at the box office, except for the very difficult to understand dialogue. It adds to the atmosphere and overall mood and authenticity of the film, but I don't know how the GA will respond. You get the gist of what they're saying, but not the specifics. 

• Like 2

The Boy is getting quite a bit of anger levelled at it from horror fans. Apperently it shamelessly rips off a very well liked independent movie from a few years ago. They didn't say the title (apperently you'll be able to figure this entire movie out if you've seen the other movie) but having another look at the trailer, I think I can figure out which movie that is.

19 hours ago, La Binoche said:

I've seen "The Witch" and it is FANTASTIC. I actually think it could make a decent amount at the box office, except for the very difficult to understand dialogue. It adds to the atmosphere and overall mood and authenticity of the film, but I don't know how the GA will respond. You get the gist of what they're saying, but not the specifics. 

Oh, that's good to know, I asked in the other topic if it would have chance to break out and the consensus was: 'never' lol 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I'm guessing due to the lack of online buzz The Boy won't do well this weekend. It looks far better and easier to market than The Forest at least.

TF also didn't have any buzz pre release, that's why everybody was predicting under $5m, maybe we will have another surprise this weekend!