1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Haha, my guilty pleasure! Holds a special place with me as it was the first horror film I was able to see in cinemas, it was a 15 and I was 14. 

2 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

My first horror in cinema was Scream 4. ;) 

geez you people are young :P 

officially my first "horror" film was part of a double feature as a kid at the drive in  when my dad took me to see Star Wars and Psycho was the second film.

But I guess after that it was Friday the 13th part 6, Jason Lives.  I may be forgetting something in the middle though :P 

Edited by 75live

2 minutes ago, 75live said:

geez you people are young :P 

Anyone is young compared to a 75 years old man. ;) 

3 minutes ago, The Stingray said:

Scream 1 ;)

I watched it at home with my mother, it's funny because she used to love these movies, now, she hates them, lol. I wonder if I'll be like her once that I have the same age of @75live

2 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Anyone is young compared to a 75 years old man. ;) 

I watched it at home with my mother, it's funny because she used to love these movies, now, she hates them, lol. I wonder if I'll be like her once that I have the same age of @75live

I still love horror so I think you'll be safe ;) 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ThatOneMorgan said:

I used to be terrified of seeing horror movies, so I used to watch them all at home and pause when I got scared.  The first I saw in theaters was The Visit :rofl:.

But I really like them now and try to see a lot in theaters.

Haha, I get what you're saying, I used to be like you when I was younger. I remember stop watching The Hill Have Eyes because I was feeling really bad, lol.

About the cinema experience: It can be amazing when we get a good crowd or it could be a complete disaster and make you hate a movie like happened at It Follows with me. I only get scary watching a horror movie when I'm into the movie, and it is not possible when there's a bunch of teenagers screaming trying to be funny.

Edited by Mockingjay Raphael

My first horror film I saw in theaters was The Ring. I was young. Had no business seeing that film at that age. 

However the first horror film I watched was Scream 1. Others included IT and Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the one with Jessica Biel). 

• Like 1

I feel old. lol.

I'm 29, but the UK are very strict with ratings, It's 15 or 18, can't go with someone over the age.

I think the first horror I watched was Halloween/Halloween II in a video set rented from Blockbuster. I must have been about 7 or 8.

Then it was Freddy, Jason, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Candyman.

Scream is the first film I remember being excited about. Probably why it's my #1 film of all time. I remember seeing the big cardboard cut-out standee for Scream 2 in the video shop, "coming soon", ooft! 

Then my brother was old enough to get in to see Scream 3 in cinemas when it came out and I was obviously furious.

That's why I was so pumped for Scream 4. First time seeing that franchise in the cinema. Twice opening day, 3 times opening weekend. Glorious.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nova said:

My first horror film I saw in theaters was The Ring. I was young. Had no business seeing that film at that age. 

However the first horror film I watched was Scream 1. Others included IT and Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the one with Jessica Biel). 

Scream is so iconic, everyone has childish memories involving this franchise, haha. 

Out of diversion, I decided to search which have been the highest grossing DOM years for horror since the beggining of the 21st century. Found a chart on Numbers.com that helped, and mixed that chart w/Box Office Mojo to complete some missing info.

With that in mind, here's what it looks like, and where 2016 lands so far:

2007 - 693.4M (which is very debatable, since it included I Am Legend)
2005 - 587.9M
2009 - 584.6M
2006 - 553.2M
2000 - 525.6M
2010 - 523.7M
2013 - 470.2M
2004 - 467M
2003 - 450M

2016 - 436.1M
2011 - 404.3M
2001 - 391.3M
2015 - 389.3M
2002 - 297.8M
2008 - 293.6M
2012 - 287.1M
2014 - 258.2M

I counted Don't Breathe's OW, which is actually a lowball according to Nile (overperformed on Sunday). DB will be adding at least 40M to its run, and get the year on around 470M, tying it w/2013.

The combo of Blair Witch + Ouija 2 will probably bring around ~100M (70-80M from Blair Witch, roughly 20 to 25M from Ouija), and w/the aid of Rings and all the ones dropping in early December, it should push near or past 600M, which would make it by far the highest grossing horror year of the 2010's decade, and the 2nd highest grossing year of the 21st century (and if you discard I Am Legend, it'll be THE highest grossing horror year of the 21st century so far).

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BourneFan #1 said:

If 10 Cloverfield Lane and Paranorman don't count as horror, I haven't seen any horror films in the theater either. I did see Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2 in a theater which was very horrifying. :lol:

I really don't see 10CL as horror, to me it's just a small sci-fi thriller, really. I guess ParaNorman could count, but again, not entirely sure.

• Like 1