3 hours ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Great job! And what's even more incredible about this year to me is that before the beginning of year, nobody had idea how big it would be, the only big deal was The Conjuring 2, and now, we already had several hits (and most of them, original stuff!), I'm really curious to see how 2017 will handle, from now, the only hits that I see is IT and Annabelle 2.

I have a feeling IT will top the charts. I am feeling $100M+ for it. Annabelle 2 I see performing between $60-70M

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I saw Lights Out last night. I like that they didn't try to explain the logic behind the 'ghost' and how to defeat it, that's when horror movies are ruined for me. Instead, they focused on the scares and in making us care for the characters. It's kind of forgettable, but I was invested and very entertained from start to finish. I know people complain about the ending, but I like to not think of it as a statement.

My biggest surprise watching LO is that they was able to make a tolerable kid, he's easily the best character in the movie, this is weird because usually kids are the weakest part in horror movies. 

19 hours ago, Hiccup23 said:

OMG remember the hype on here for Piranha 3D! Good memories :) 

IKR? I remember that Piranha had a lot of buzz back in 2010, that's why I was so shocked when it tanked in the way it did, and this is so unfair because it was such a good jam!!!! The sequel, although..... 

• Like 1

I just noticed that they're releasing The Disappointments Room next week, one week before Blair Witch and two weeks after DB, that's what I call a poor release date, the market is being flooded by horror movies right now. Does anyone have interest in this movie?

Rob Zombie's 31 is rotten at Tomatoes btw, not that it is a surprise anyway. 

1 hour ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

I just noticed that they're releasing The Disappointments Room next week, one week before Blair Witch and two weeks after DB, that's what I call a poor release date, the market is being flooded by horror movies right now. Does anyone have interest in this movie?

Rob Zombie's 31 is rotten at Tomatoes btw, not that it is a surprise anyway. 

How many theater is Rob Zombie's 31 getting? I can't imagine more than 200 theaters. It was at 15% on MT last night and it at 11% today, which is surprising imo.

They moved Disappointments Room from November because of financial issues or something like that. But yeah the film is doomed. Marketing online has been decent. It is marketed heavily on Hulu, YouTube, and Facebook. They are putting effort into the film instead of just letting it sit there and die. 

I am thinking a $4-$5 million opening and a end below $10 

• Like 1

I would seriously laugh out loud if we got another Perfect Match/Young Messiah/Brothers Grimsby with 31/Light Between Oceans/Morgan, since BOM doesn't even make mention of 31's theater count - nevermind the fact that it actually opened on Wednesday (which explains why it's so high on MT right now... I guess).

10 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I had no idea 31 was going to be in cinemas.

I think it looks like trash. 

The Disappointments Room is DOA. This is Relativity's first outing at the box office again isn't it? 

Nope it isn't. Oculus and House at the End of the Street are two past horror flicks they have released. 

5 minutes ago, Hiccup23 said:

Nope it isn't. Oculus and House at the End of the Street are two past horror flicks they have released. 

Yep, it is. Relativity's first release back at the box office since bankruptcy.

Plus, I didn't ask if Relativity had released a horror film before?

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 1

On 02/09/2016 at 11:24 AM, Hiccup23 said:

How many theater is Rob Zombie's 31 getting? I can't imagine more than 200 theaters. It was at 15% on MT last night and it at 11% today, which is surprising imo.

They moved Disappointments Room from November because of financial issues or something like that. But yeah the film is doomed. Marketing online has been decent. It is marketed heavily on Hulu, YouTube, and Facebook. They are putting effort into the film instead of just letting it sit there and die. 

I am thinking a $4-$5 million opening and a end below $10 

The studio didn't even report 31's numbers, like WTF? They can do this? lmfao.

It seems that your prediction was optimistic since it is tracking at $1m-$2m, LMFAO. I'm actually sad, Caruso is a decent director and it has a good premisse, the first bomb of the genre this year, at least DB + BW is going to completely overshadow it, haha.

Edited by Mockingjay Raphael
  • Like 1

I already commented this before, but after that second weekend drop for Don't Breathe, I need to bring this discussion once again.

Is the Horror genre becoming more backloaded? Or is it a result of better movies coming to cinemas?

Few years ago, the usual multiple for a horror movie used to be something between 2.1x-2.3x, now, let's take a look at how this year is going:

The Forest: 2.1x
The Boy: 3.3x
The Witch: 2.8x
The Conjuring II: 2.5x
The Shallows: 3.2x
The Purge III: 2.5x
Lights Out: 3.1x
Don't Breathe: 3.0x+

As you guys can see, the lowest multiple of year is The Forest at 2.1x, everything else has a multiple above 2.5x, incluiding four movies reaching a 3.0x multiple (we had zero movies reaching this mark last year and in 2014), in a year where most of movies are being front-loaded, horror is going in the opposite direction and having the best year legs-wise for the genre, then I ask: Is this a isolated phenomenon? Or we're going back to the traditional front loadness next year? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

I already commented this before, but after that second weekend drop for Don't Breathe, I need to bring this discussion once again.

Is the Horror genre becoming more backloaded? Or is it a result of better movies coming to cinemas?

Few years ago, the usual multiple for a horror movie used to be something between 2.1x-2.3x, now, let's take a look at how this year is going:

As you guys can see, the lowest multiple of year is The Forest at 2.1x, everything else has a multiple above 2.5x, incluiding four movies reaching a 3.0x multiple (we had zero movies reaching this mark last year and in 2014), in a year where most of movies are being front-loaded, horror is going in the opposite direction and having the best year legs-wise for the genre, then I ask: Is this a isolated phenomenon? Or we're going back to the traditional front loadness next year? 

It just depends. Horror films this year have had better word of mouth than recent years. 2015 was poor in word of mouth, mixed word of mouth to The Visit and Insidious 3. Horrendous WOM to Sinster 2, Poltergeist, and Woman In Black 2.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

It does help that 5 of them are summer films. 

36 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

It does help that 5 of them are summer films. 

It also does help that those 5 films were some of the better films that this particular summer had to offer. 

The Horror genre really thrived this summer in a summer filled with boring blockbusters. When people tell me this summer of movies sucked I'm like yea for Blockbusters but for other low to moderate budget films like horror ones and comedies, it was freaking awesome. 

• Like 1

On August 31, 2016 at 9:09 AM, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Does anyone knows what's the record of most horror movies making $100m+ WW in a single year? We're already at 4 and counting... 

2013 had 4. 2014 had 4. 2015 had 1. We might be on the record this year! 

• Like 1