9 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

2013 had 4. 2014 had 4. 2015 had 1. We might be on the record this year! 

2013 almost had 5! Damn Evil Dead ended with $97.5 million. Also 2012 had 5

Highest Grossing Horror Films All-Time Worldwide (All that grossed over 200M WW)

Six Sense- 672.8M

I Am Legend- 585.3M*

World War Z- 540M

Signs- 408.2M

The Conjuring 2- 319.5M

The Conjuring- 318M

Van Helsing- 300.3M

Resident Evil: Afterlife- 296.2M

What Lies Beneath- 291.4M

Annabelle- 256.9M

The Village- 256.7M

The Ring- 249.3M

The Blair Witch Project- 248.6M

Resident Evil: Retribution- 240.2M

Constantine- 230.9M

Interview with a Vampire- 223.7M

Dracula- 215.9M

The Others- 209.9M

Paranormal Activity 3- 207M

• Like 1

2016 will have 5+ films that pass $100M 

So far: 

10 Cloverfield Lane 

The Conjuring 2

Lights Out 

The Purge 3

The Shallows (I'm adding this because it's at $99M+ and will pass $100M by the end of the weekend). 

I think Don't Breathe will get there as well as Blair Witch. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Nova said:

So far: 

10 Cloverfield Lane 

The Conjuring 2

Lights Out 

The Purge 3

The Shallows (I'm adding this because it's at $99M+ and will pass $100M by the end of the weekend). 

Don't Breathe will do it, if Evil Dead can get over $45 million overseas. With much better word of mouth, Don't Breathe can do it too! Blair Witch in the other hand has potential but it could go anywhere in its ow. 

• Like 1

On September 8, 2016 at 10:21 AM, Krissykins said:

It does help that 5 of them are summer films. 

Seriously, you guys needs stop thinking that releasing a movie in summer is guarantee of good legs.

Being a summer release didn't stop Poltergeist from having a 2.1x multiple or The Gallows from having a 2.2x, when a movie is bad received, not even summer weekdays can save it. Those 5 movies has good legs not because they're released in summer, but because they're well received by public, and, actually, The Boy, The Witch and Don't Breathe all ended with a multiple above 2.9x and are not even summer releases, well, maybe DB, but it was released in the end of summer, so I don't think it counts at all.

Edited by Mockingjay Raphael
  • Like 1

On September 8, 2016 at 11:00 AM, Nova said:

It also does help that those 5 films were some of the better films that this particular summer had to offer. 

The Horror genre really thrived this summer in a summer filled with boring blockbusters. When people tell me this summer of movies sucked I'm like yea for Blockbusters but for other low to moderate budget films like horror ones and comedies, it was freaking awesome. 

I'm actually happy that blockbusters ended being a "disappointment" this season, so, small movies had some room to make decent money, they probably would not have that room if every blockbuster ended being super huge.

20 hours ago, Maxmoser3 said:

Blair Witch is doing well on RT. 100% from critics. Which it could lower down to about 60-70% or so by next week.

Or maybe it will stay in the fresh zone? Both Lights Out and Don't Breathe also started at 100% and ended being fresh! It's good to notice that the average ratting is at 8.1, that's really good, usually when a movie is going to fall, it starts at 7.0.

20 hours ago, Maxmoser3 said:

2013 had 4. 2014 had 4. 2015 had 1. We might be on the record this year! 

Thanks! The Conjuring 2, The Purge 3, Lights Out, The Shallows, Don't Breathe, Blair, Rings and maybe Ouija 2, yeah, I would say that the record is locked! 

Edited by Mockingjay Raphael

20 hours ago, Hiccup23 said:

2013 almost had 5! Damn Evil Dead ended with $97.5 million. Also 2012 had 5

Highest Grossing Horror Films All-Time Worldwide (All that grossed over 200M WW)

Six Sense- 672.8M

I Am Legend- 585.3M*

World War Z- 540M

Signs- 408.2M

The Conjuring 2- 319.5M

The Conjuring- 318M

Van Helsing- 300.3M

Resident Evil: Afterlife- 296.2M

What Lies Beneath- 291.4M

Annabelle- 256.9M

The Village- 256.7M

The Ring- 249.3M

The Blair Witch Project- 248.6M

Resident Evil: Retribution- 240.2M

Constantine- 230.9M

Interview with a Vampire- 223.7M

Dracula- 215.9M

The Others- 209.9M

Paranormal Activity 3- 207M

Thanks for the list! You only forgot The Exorcist which is easily the biggest horror ever since it adjust to almost $1B only DOM. :lol: 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Nova said:

So far: 

10 Cloverfield Lane 

The Conjuring 2

Lights Out 

The Purge 3

It's easier to Don't Breathe cross $200m WW than to it fail to make $100m. :lol:

It is having increases over Lights Out in most of markets so far, this movie is going to end between $80m-$85m OS, if DB keeps that pace and manage to break out in some markets, we could be looking at a $100m OS total and $190m WW!

11 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Thanks for the list! You only forgot The Exorcist which is easily the biggest horror ever since it adjust to almost $1B only DOM. :lol: 

Yeah same with Jaws, which got 260M domestic. 

BOM only goes to 1989 with their WW yearly totals. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Hiccup23 said:

Boxofficemojo.com's WW totals only go to 1989 :( Plus Jaws 2 didn't break 200M WW...it got 187M

Hannibal is on Box Office Mojo as a thriller not horror. 

Oh, I had it in my head that Jaws 2 made it, stupid me. I would say Hannibal is horror, but to each their own on that onBe.

Btw, Jaws' WW total is on Wikipedia at over 400M, iirc.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Oh, I had it in my head that Jaws 2 made it, stupid me. I would say Hannibal is horror, but to each their own on that onBe.

Btw, Jaws' WW total is on Wikipedia at over 400M, iirc.

Horror is a tricky genre to define sometimes. It definitely blends with thriller and sci-fi.

Example: Personally I don't think I Am Legend is horror. It is sci-fi horror but the film is mostly sci-fi. 

3 hours ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

I'm finally going to watch GREEN ROOM today, have you guys already watched it? Did you guys enjoy it? 

I saw it a while back and i really liked it. I wouldn't call it a horror film though, more like a thriller. And it is definitely thrilling and really suspenseful. The violent scenes are brutal.

I don't think it's as good as Blue Ruin and i'm pretty sure some people will be furious with some actions and decisions from the characters but i loved the realism and some times people do stupid things when they're under pressure.

The director is huge talent IMO.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Seriously, you guys needs stop thinking that releasing a movie in summer is guarantee of good legs.

Being a summer release didn't stop Poltergeist from having a 2.1x multiple or The Gallows from having a 2.2x, when a movie is bad received, not even summer weekdays can save it. Those 5 movies has good legs not because they're released in summer, but because they're well received by public, and, actually, The Boy, The Witch and Don't Breathe all ended with a multiple above 2.9x and are not even summer releases, well, maybe DB, but it was released in the end of summer, so I don't think it counts at all.

Dont Breathe had a week of summer weekdays and labour day with no completion in its second weekend.

The Witch had a small rerelease. The Boy opening weekend was muted due to the big storm.

Summer isn't the only reason they had good legs. But it definitely helped. A lot. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Dont Breathe had a week of summer weekdays and labour day with no completion in its second weekend.

The Witch had a small rerelease. The Boy opening weekend was muted due to the big storm.

Summer isn't the only reason they had good legs. But it definitely helped. A lot. 

A small release is not a guarantee of good legs, The Darkness had an even smaller release than The Witch and it didn't stop this movie from having a 2.2x.

Yeah, I know that The Boy had the OW deflated, but it also held really well during it's whole run, it didn't have a drop bigger than 50% till the fifth weekend, for example.

I'm not saying that summer has no impact in legs, I'm just saying that it's perfectly possible to achieve good legs in any season when the movie is well received.

While I do enjoyed Green Room, I'm still wondering why it was so acclaimed, it's basically 10 Cloverfield Lane but without the: complexity, tension, interesting characters and with a lot of violence, as mentioned above, it was easily the most interesting thing in this movie.

I also watched The Guest, I don't know if we can consider it a horror movie, but, oh boy, what an amazing movie! Such a good homenage to the slashers/action/sci-fi movies from 80's, this movie reminded me a lot of It Follows technically-wise, the whole atmosphere is totally It Follows, (yeah, I know that it came before IF), I loved the sountrack, it is so retro, but at same time, so fresh, that guy who played David is also amazing, I would love to see him making more movies like this, he has that perfectly sociopath vibe, I'm even more excited for Blair now!