I watched Don't Breathe again yesterday and Before I Wake, have you guys heard about this movie? 

While Don't Breathe was even better at second time, I was surprised at how much I found myself enjoying Before I Wake, I wasn't expecting much, that's probably the reason.

I'm loving this new Era of Horror that we're living, where the focus is on the characters that are being haunted by the creatures than in the creatures itself, I'm also loving this mix of drama + horror that Wan brought to mainstream, it gives heart to the movie, IMO. Actually, talking about Wan, the first act is basically an Insidious' rip off, and that's a good thing! It is not scary at all, but it has such a cool story with well developed characters that we actually end liking the movie more because of them than because of the horror part, another decent horror movie released this year!  

• Like 1

I was checking out news and reviews from TIFF and came across this article on the screening of "Raw".

http://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/tiff-cannibalism-film-raw-causes-audience-members-to-pass-out-1.3072893

A reaction like that is certainly a promising sign for a horror movie, even if it is from the more genteel crowds that usually frequent film festivals.

Interesting premise having a vegetarian descend into cannibalism.

On September 17, 2016 at 0:53 AM, Incarnadine said:

I was checking out news and reviews from TIFF and came across this article on the screening of "Raw".

http://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/tiff-cannibalism-film-raw-causes-audience-members-to-pass-out-1.3072893

A reaction like that is certainly a promising sign for a horror movie, even if it is from the more genteel crowds that usually frequent film festivals.

Interesting premise having a vegetarian descend into cannibalism.

I don't buy this. Remember when Bite was supposed to be the "most disgusting movie ever made"? It had similar reactions from audience.

1 minute ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

The worst part on that Blair Witch flop is that we probably won't have another horror hit this year, Rings is doomed, and even if Ouija II is decent, I don't think it will make a good amount of money, the year is going to end on a low level after so many hits. :( 

Blair Witch flopping gives Rings and Ouija 2 more of a chance though. 

On 2016-09-13 at 3:59 PM, Mockingjay Raphael said:

I watched Don't Breathe again yesterday and Before I Wake, have you guys heard about this movie? 

While Don't Breathe was even better at second time, I was surprised at how much I found myself enjoying Before I Wake, I wasn't expecting much, that's probably the reason.

I'm loving this new Era of Horror that we're living, where the focus is on the characters that are being haunted by the creatures than in the creatures itself, I'm also loving this mix of drama + horror that Wan brought to mainstream, it gives heart to the movie, IMO. Actually, talking about Wan, the first act is basically an Insidious' rip off, and that's a good thing! It is not scary at all, but it has such a cool story with well developed characters that we actually end liking the movie more because of them than because of the horror part, another decent horror movie released this year!  

My main gripe with mainstream horror, aside from the stories being generic as hell, is that there's zero focus on mood and atmosphere. It's all built around jump scares.

3 hours ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

The worst part on that Blair Witch flop is that we probably won't have another horror hit this year, Rings is doomed, and even if Ouija II is decent, I don't think it will make a good amount of money, the year is going to end on a low level after so many hits. :( 

Not really in 2014 Deliver Us From Evil underperformed and then Purge:Anarchy made $71 million total after that. So I would say Universal should market Ouija 2 decently and make a decent amount of money. Rings will bring in some audiences but it's hard to tell.

Edited by Maxmoser3

On September 21, 2016 at 1:09 PM, The Stingray said:

My main gripe with mainstream horror, aside from the stories being generic as hell, is that there's zero focus on mood and atmosphere. It's all built around jump scares.

Yeah, but if you check the last mainstream horror movies released, you will see that things are changing. Most of directors are not focusing in cheap jump scares anymore, but in making a relatable atmosphere to the public, that's a huge advance from where the genre was a decade ago when Saw was dominating. You can't expect a mainstream movie to have the same complexity or brutality of a movie like We Are What We Are, for example, mainstream movies needs to do everything in the easier way possible to the public. 

On September 21, 2016 at 2:02 PM, Maxmoser3 said:

Not really in 2014 Deliver Us From Evil underperformed and then Purge:Anarchy made $71 million total after that. So I would say Universal should market Ouija 2 decently and make a decent amount of money. Rings will bring in some audiences but it's hard to tell.

See, I'm not saying that these movies are going to flop because of Blair's underperformance, I'm just saying that Blair was the last horror movie of year with potential to be big. What does we have in the rest of year? Rings was moved. Ouija II has zero buzz, I'm expecting a decrease in the same level of Sinister for this one. And a Lionsgate movie, probably another disappointment.