WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 28): Kung Fu Panda 3 - 41M, The Finest Hours 0- 10.3M, The Revenant - 12.4M...Sunday holds better than expected.....SW over 11 mill and KFP3 over 41 pg 34

12 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

UGH.  How did Ride Along hold so well after being such a disaster last w/e? 

Speaking of disasters - 50Shades  - and Deadline was calling for a $4m Friday this afternoon :rofl:

Same reason why The Boy and The Fifth Wave didn't drop harder. Lack of major competition.

Also I hope Fifty Shades of Black's failure, puts an end to these bad spoof movies getting theatrical releases, for a while, at least.

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis

At the very least KFP3 should hit 40. It will increase close to or over 100% on Saturday and didn't have previews to skew the numbers. 

Otherwise the holdovers are doing better than even my optimistic expectation so my derby is screwed. 

• Like 2

Honestly, I hope Panda gets close to that 45M number for the weekend. It's a pretty good movie to be honest. Not quite as good as the first two for me (9.5/10 and 8.5/10) but it's a solid 7.5. My only issue with it was while it had both the humour and charm of the first as well as the emotional depth of the second, it should have had more of both.

3D was a waste tbh, and I actually think it detracted from my enjoyment (and so I want to see the movie again). But the things I was scared of for the movie didn't disappoint. I thought the villain would be weak, but he was actually pretty good for example. As a whole, I'd say the movie is about as good as Dragon 2.

6 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

I think the bigger question is....(regarding the DW sequels).....how high could The Croods 2 & HTTYD3 soar WW-wise?

Are they increasing?.....like pretty much?

I personally don't see either increasing substantially. Maybe marginally, but Dragon 2 already had a big increase, I doubt there is the audience for yet another. And Croods was already a large OS hit, so I could see a hard time for it increasing.

5 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I personally don't see either increasing substantially. Maybe marginally, but Dragon 2 already had a big increase, I doubt there is the audience for yet another. And Croods was already a large OS hit, so I could see a hard time for it increasing.

I think we need to keep in mind that China is the key factor for the films to increase.

Both Croods & HTTYD2 made around $63M & $65M respectively, and sequels generally increase all the time.

All they need to be is to be very good movies.

Also....HTTYD has this insane amount of fanbases. People still talk about characters like Hiccup & Toothless.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

5 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Revenant finally passes its production budget this weekend. 

Crap for the openers, Meh for the cartoon. Glad 50 Shades of Black bombed, tired of his rip offs. 

Nice hold for last weeks films. 

It's not really a bomb though, Wayans movies don't cost alot to make. The budget for this one was only 5m.  The studio will keep making them as long as he wants, because it's a cheap way to get quick money. 

With a 3-3.25x multiplier, KFP3 could end up close to Peanuts and not that much ahead of TGD. IO and Minions over-performed. HT2 also did better than expected.

Then Peanuts, TGD and Alvin fell short of expectations by varying degrees. ~130m for KFP3 would be average.

13 minutes ago, a2knet said:

With a 3-3.25x multiplier, KFP3 could end up close to Peanuts and not that much ahead of TGD. IO and Minions over-performed. HT2 also did better than expected.

Then Peanuts, TGD and Alvin fell short of expectations by varying degrees. ~130m for KFP3 would be average.

150m+ should not be a problem with 45m OW.

10 minutes ago, a2knet said:

No it didn't, people were surprised it didn't make 350 domestic.

With a 2.7 Friday, I'm thinking SW does closer to about 10.8, possibly even 11 million.  I think Deadline is forgetting there is no football this weekend, none that really counts anyway.  So Sunday drops should be around 30%.  That gives SW a chance at 11 million, if the 2.7 is accurate.

11.19 mill.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, RogueLeader said:

So what are we looking at for a TFA final gross? 

Been wondering how this film will ultimately fare. 

Is it still going to be over 900 million?

- 915/920M

-you're kidding right? of course : the movie will be at 895M by sunday from  a 10M WE

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, RogueLeader said:

Been wondering how this film will ultimately fare. 

It'll pass 900 by Friday.  It's going to be at 894 by the end of this weekend.  920-930 is a good bet.

• Like 1