Kalo

Kalo's top 25 favorite films of 2015 - Countdown complete #1 film on page 4.

#21 Carol

tumblr_nq670uuKNO1sy3bdbo5_500.gif

"What a Strange girl you are... Flung out of space" 

It's what do you know another lesbian romance, only this time instead of slave in master issues, it deals with 1950s homophobia, divorce and custody battles.

tumblr_static_23zwi8r5jt40gw0ggkookoc80.

Carol is a beautiful film, with a very intimate sweet love story, on the surface it seems pretty straightforward gay romance and the obstacles that come with that in the 1950s (heck in in some ways this is still as relevant today as it was then.) but it is told so meticulously and and so much is said by what isn't said that is quite a visual film to watch as well as a powerhouse performance film from both Blanchett and Mara. and when the dialogue does come, it is brilliantly worded, almost poetic, and when you have a veteran like Blanchett to deliver a line magic can happen, although I think it may have been Mara's subtle quiet performance that really drive the show, in what was in my opinion one of the best performances of the year, and no it was not freaking supporting!   

I did feel that the romance here was a little just slightly underdeveloped, and rushed a bit perhaps? however maybe it was meant to be told that way to an extant. I know many people, especially here believe it was possibly the biggest oscar snub for best picture, I wouldn't have minded if it got nominated, but I could think of a few I would have rather seen get in, none the less this was a really great film and was a beautiful film to watch, with great camerawork, time-capsule inducing costumes and great score. 

VY9PHc3jJf9h6.gif

My Grade: A-

Favorite Scene: The department store meeting maybe?

Favorite Character: Therese Belivet 

Favorite Performance: Rooney Mara 

• Like 3

#20 Shaun the Sheep: The Movie 

01-thumbs-up.gif

I haven't seen the Shaun the Sheep show, but I am a big fan of the 1990s Wallace and Gromit shorts and "A Close Shave" which I believe is the has the introduction of shaun is delightful. Shaun the Sheep may be my favorite Aardman animation yet. 

With the complete lack of dialogue aside from a few mumbles almost all the humor and story is told through imagery and it is done so brilliantly, never once did this movie feel boring, and it is actually quite fast paced. almost every scene has something witty or adorable going on, usually both. It's also probably the funniest movie I've seen all year, which I got to be honest, I'm picky about comedy and usually don't watch that many. but this was hilarious imo. it's just such a clever movie, that you really need to watch to appreciate. check out Shaun the sheep if you haven't!

Favorite Scene: The Sheep Dress as humans scene

Favorite Character: Baby sheep

Favorite Performance: the Aardman stop motion team. (seriously that was a lot of work!)

Award Winner! - Best Comedy according to Kalo

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 4

#19 Ant-Man 

Ant-Man-GIF.gif

Avengers Age of Ultron was one of my most anticipated films of 2015 because well, Avengers is one of the best superhero films ever I don't care what people say. but it came it while it was entertaining and certainly not the worst marvel as done so far it was a little underwhelming and they rehashed way to many themes from the first and unincorporated way too much humor into a story that was supposed to be more serious half of which isn't even funny. but then Ant-Man came out. 

I grew up on Honey I shrunk the kids it was a childhood classic to me, (and even honey we shrunk ourselves), and since then I have had an obsession with tiny things, I even invented and imagery children's book series about tiny people that I won't name because I may actually write them someday. mostly I just really really wished I could shrunk down small and see the world that way.. yeah I was a.. imaginative child. I also watched the Avengers Earth's mightiest heroes animated series and loved the take of Ant-Man in it (it's a fantastic series btw if you haven't seen it). and when I heard they were making an Ant-Man movie and I was super excited, I don't think I know who edgar wright was at the time (I mean it was announced like a long time ago), but a somewhere in there I watched several of his movies and it made me super excited for this movie. but then he left the project, my heart sank and I was afraid that greedy Disney ruined a masterpiece.

giphy.gif

Well I mean we'll never know for sure, and It probably would have been better if Edger did direct it. But I found myself pleasantly surprised by the final product. Ant-Man is witty Charming, with really fantastic visuals. and a big heart. everything in the movie may not work. but it's hard not to smile with someone as charming as Paul Rudd leading the movie, and I really feel Peyton Reed did I good job with the film and I have a feeling quite a few things from the Edger Script made it's way to the final cut. to me this had a 1990s heist slash family film  feel to it. which gave me a fuzzy nostalgic feeling inside. it also had a very good score, something I feel marvel is kind of weak with usually.  Ant-Man is a fantastic movie with a great family dynamic to it!

5i1qRrpfAM4x.gif

Favorite Scene: going subatomic 

Favorite Character: Scott Lang/Ant-Man

Favorite Performance: Paul Rudd 

Award Winner Best Superhero film of the year! - according to Kalo

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 5

#18 Jurassic World 

giphy.gif

"That thing out there... That is no dinosaur."

I did not grow up a fan of Jurassic Park, I saw it once when I was very small and it terrified me and I never watched it again until adulthood, which upon rewatch I found it a very enjoyable and groundbreaking visual film with just the right amount of thrills and scares. So I was intrigued by the thought of a Jurassic World movie and once I heard Chris Pratt was cast as the lead I was excited. then the movie came out to middling reviews and I saw it. and I thought this movie was just really fun. I found it exciting and found a sense of awe in this Jurassic World and the park and everything in that aspect felt like a place that really existed. with really awesome set pieces as well as some pretty sweet action sequences, and a nice rendition of the original score. now that does not mean this is a movie without flaws, but somehow a certain flaws almost made this movie more enjoyable, like the cheese ball dialogue kind of added to the fun. One of the best parts about this movie has got to be because of Chris Pratt, he added a suave charm to Owen, who could have easily came off as a major dick. I actually really love Bryce Dallas Howard (she is fantastic in the Village) and she did her best but unfortunately didn't have much to work with, but she can outrun a  Indominus Rex in heels so that's gotta count for something doesn't it? Unfortunately her and Pratt did not have the best chemistry in the world either. but ah well, better luck next time right?

55b9177dfff2c16856a75a77_jw-shoes.gif

It's been awhile since I've seen this movie (theaters, but I saw it twice), so my opinion my change some with a re-watch. but at the end of the day Jurassic world is a fun, exciting adventure film that had an ice old-school feel to it. and I look forward to the sequel. Chris Pratt is like super hot in it too. and might be part of the reason why I enjoy it as much as I do. :ph34r:

Tumblr

Favorite Scene: Final showdown 

Favorite Character: Owen

Favorite Performance: Chris Pratt

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 4

#17 Cinderella 

tumblr_nmj9lcrGBW1us4q3vo1_500.gif

Cinderella, is a story very close to my heart, when I was a wee lad, I would watch the animated 1950s film over and over again with my sisters, it was a believe probably in my top 5 favorite films, It didn't hold up quite as well as some disney classics did as I grew up, but it's still a wonderful film, with an enchanting story.

tumblr_nf9lnqnhTu1r20o22o1_500.gif

This new Cinderella is pretty much a perfect adaptation in almost everyway. with some of the best art direction and costumes I've ever seen in a film, a brilliant score from composer Patrick Doyle, and positively charming performances from Lily James and Richard Madden as the leads, and Blanchette is as remarkably nasty as Lady Tremaine, but the strongest feat about this film is in it's direction. Kenneth Branagh, who is pretty much fantastic weather he is in front of or behind the camera. the way he directs period films in such a romantic timeless matter, he makes it look almost effortless. the story is very close to the original but there are just a few touches that make it even better, a slightly more development romance and a very touching scene that give it just the right touch, I say the biggest risk Branagh took was not reinvented the tale but simply making a old story new again.  Cinderella is by far the best animation to live action film Disney has done this far. lets hope this trend continues with The Jungle Book and Beauty and the Beast (my favorite animated film ever).

Cinderella-ball-gown-dance-2015.gif

Favorite Scene: A Secret Garden 

Favorite Character: Cinderella 

Favorite Performance: Cate Blanchett

Award Winner Best Costume Design! according to Kalo

• Like 4

JW: it was a big surprise to me! I never was a big fan of the JP franchise, and after the mixed reviews I was expecting just another reboot without life, but for my surprise, it was an extremely efficient blockbuster summer, incredibly fun and nostalgic, it may be unpopular, but it's my fave JP movie!

Cindy: well, this was a huge disappointment, after the great reviews, I was expecting it to be the first great fairly tale movie, but it ended as just another generic adaption 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Baumer said:

When are you doing more?

I'm going to try and do some tonight actually. it's just in the next 10 days or so I have like 5 tests/papers due. :unsure:

#16 The Gift 

gift.gif?w=1000

Joel Edgerton's directorial debut, The Gift. a domestic physiological thriller is an incredibly remarkable feat, especially for a green horn filmaker. Considering edgerton wrote and stars in the film makes it all the more impressive, the script is not necessarily extremely complex or original but the way it is portrayed and executed draws you in and makes it feel fresh and believable, aside from the skilled direction. All three leads, Bateman, Hall, and Edgerton are excellent in their roles, playing of one another with sizzling chemistry. in this claustrophobic domestic thriller.

The twist is creepy and the overall moral of the story is haunting and says a lot about how mistakes you make in your youth can affect your entire life. 

anigif_enhanced-10621-1436823606-8.gif

Favorite Scene: the reveal

Favorite Character: Robyn

Favorite Performance: Rebecca Hall

What was strong in 2015 spotlight:

Rich plot driven films taking place in a confined space.

The Gift is just one of several films in 2015 that was incredible intriguing, managed to be intense and cinematic without having to rely on massive sets visuals or large action scenes, instead relying on the strength of the director, chemistry of the cast and the story.

window.gif?w=1000

Debut Directions

so I'm sure there are great films coming from first time directors every year, but 2015 really stood out to me and Joel Edgerton is just of the directors to do a outstanding job first time out and the gift does not feel like a first time effort. 

the-gift-poster-joel-edgerton1.jpg