grim22

The Invisible Man | Feb 28 2020 | Will be available on VOD Friday March 20

4 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

@Valonqar Moss is being praised as fuck, we may have our first Best Actress contender right here. 

She's such a good actress to be fair. She played the dislikable girlfriend so well in Get him to the Greek that i was surprised not to see her in anything for a while after 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Still, Midsommar had far bigger expectations considering the popularity that Hereditary got. Let's not try to rewrite history here, Midsommar came below expectations. 

besides the arthouse horror crowd and critics, Hereditary wasn't that well liked lol. most of my friends hated the ending. 

so if anything people who didn't like Hereditary skipped Midsommar as far as I know :thinking:

5 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

if you laugh in a movie it's a comedy. 

what a diverse genre. 

many scenes in Us were clearly played and staged for laughs much more than for scares. so horror comedy but comedy prevailed. I'm a fan of the movie.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, RealLyre said:

besides the arthouse horror crowd and critics, Hereditary wasn't that well liked lol. most of my friends hated the ending. 

so if anything people who didn't like Hereditary skipped Midsommar as far as I know :thinking:

Cinemascore:

Hereditary D+
Midsommar C+

Hereditary benefited from a scary trailer and TV spots, Midsommar just looked weird. 

I really like them both, both 4/5 from me. 

8 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

@Valonqar Moss is being praised as fuck, we may have our first Best Actress contender right here. 

if Us,  which was made by a previous Oscar winner and a starred an Oscar winning actress could not get any attention despite it having some social commentary, why would this do better awards wise? 

6 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

THIS! I remember most of people having US locked for $200m after that OW, but the WOM was mixed at best, thanks to that divisive ending.

I really hope TIM won't face the same fate. 

It made the mistake of putting its message before the actual story. Yes it was a clever message it was trying to say but it came at a cost, it made the movie beyond dumb. Millions of americans living underground and not one maintenance worker ever went down and saw what was going on? Audiences aren't thick, they were never buying that absurdity. It was actually quite insulting 

Edited by Ninenin
  • Thanks 2
  • ...wtf 1

Just now, RealLyre said:

if Us,  which was made by a previous Oscar winner and a starred an Oscar winning actress could not get any attention despite it having some social commentary, why would this do better awards wise? 

US was a divisive movie that got forgotten really quickly, it still early, but who knows if TIM can't last a bit longer on the mind of GA?

• Knock It Off 1

Midsommar got C+ because it was seen only by Hemoroids since everyone else stirred clear of "from the director of Hereditary". When Aster's core fandom couldn't give more than C+ you know it's a dud. And it doesn't matter how inexpensive it was, it made much less than Hereditary (and completely flundered OS including Sweden lmao! ) on the same budget. And the way it was shilled on twitter, 4chan, movie blogs, etc, you'd think it would make more than Uncut Gems. Except that it couldn't even hit 30M and was clobbered by under-promoted Crawl lolololololol. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

I wonder if this movie will get the same vitrol Black Christmas got from the "go woke, go broke" crowd. 

Black Christmas got more vitrol for being PG-13, there whole “go woke, go broke” crowd crap was used as a cover up to hide the fact they made a shit movie.

3 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

US was a divisive movie that got forgotten really quickly, it still early, but who knows if TIM can't last a bit longer on the mind of GA?

Hmm I disagree here. I seen it on many top 10 lists. Especially from the horror community. Invisible Man will be lucky to do even half of Us. 

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Midsommar got C+ because it was seen only by Hemoroids since everyone else stirred clear of "from the director of Hereditary". When Aster's core fandom couldn't give more than C+ you know it's a dud. And it doesn't matter how inexpensive it was, it made much less than Hereditary (and completely flundered OS including Sweden lmao! ) on the same budget. And the way it was shilled on twitter, 4chan, movie blogs, etc, you'd think it would make more than Uncut Gems. Except that it couldn't even hit 30M and was clobbered by under-promoted Crawl lolololololol. 

Ooof, I remember you had a thing about this film when it came out 😂. Show us where Ari Aster touched you. 

I’m loving that films like Us, Hereditary and Midsommar are getting wide releases and the mainstream minds can’t cope lol 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

so some critics & movie fans (the ones you're referring to) gave it raves on twitter but then lied their asses off and gave their true thoughts on the Cinemascore polls. :thinking:

6 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I mean, it's fine if you dislike Ari Aster and all, but you speak of him as if he raped your family, for fuck's sake. Are you 12?

4 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

There's no excuses, Midsommar was overshadowed by Crawl, despite the latter being dumped by Paramount.

Crawl was a wider release (+500 locations), easier sell and had better reviews. 

I love Crawl, that and Ready or Not were my favourites from last year. 

• Astonished 1

3 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

There's no excuses, Midsommar was overshadowed by Crawl, despite the latter being dumped by Paramount.

it's not like Crawl was that terrible or anything, other than the low-key marketing and as a survival thriller it was more than serviceable. 

6 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

There's no need for excuses. Two very different movies got a wide release and made what they made. It ain't sports.

• Like 2