grim22

The Invisible Man | Feb 28 2020 | Will be available on VOD Friday March 20

I gotta agree with @DAJK here. I really liked it but I found the ending somewhat underwhelming, especially with all the buzz surrounding it. It's not a bad ending and is a completely logical one but I expected something a bit more. Leigh Whannell's directing here is phenomenal and there's some horrifying and brutal stuff in here (even if the movie is light on gore). One scene especially left my jaw open and the hospital sequence also had some brilliant action. Yeah, it's no Midsommar but I'd say this movie is about as good as Doctor Sleep and Hereditary. Definitely a crowd pleasing movie too. But I guess if you really care about plotholes you'll hate it. I rarely care about plotholes so this was still a great film for me. 8/10

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

I gotta agree with @DAJK here. I really liked it but I found the ending somewhat underwhelming, especially with all the buzz surrounding it. It's not a bad ending and is a completely logical one but I expected something a bit more. Leigh Whannell's directing here is phenomenal and there's some horrifying and brutal stuff in here (even if the movie is light on gore). One scene especially left my jaw open and the hospital sequence also had some brilliant action. Yeah, it's no Midsommar but I'd say this movie is about as good as Doctor Sleep and Hereditary. Definitely a crowd pleasing movie too. But I guess if you really care about plotholes you'll hate it. I rarely care about plotholes so this was still a great film for me. 8/10

I'm honestly curious as to the level of a "crowd-pleaser" it's going to be. I don't doubt that many people will love it, but to me it didn't feel as much of a crowd-pleaser as say The Conjuring or A Quiet Place. 

7 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I'm honestly curious as to the level of a "crowd-pleaser" it's going to be. I don't doubt that many people will love it, but to me it didn't feel as much of a crowd-pleaser as say The Conjuring or A Quiet Place. 

No, I wouldn't say its as crowd pleasing as those movies but I did see people reacting well to the movie. My sis and dad didn't like it though. When I told my sister its an horror film, she thought it would have some sort of supernatual element, which it didn't so she was bored. And my dad thought it was a shitty version of Hollow Man.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

No, I wouldn't say its as crowd pleasing as those movies but I did see people reacting well to the movie. My sis and dad didn't like it though. When I told my sister its an horror film, she thought it would have some sort of supernatual element, which it didn't so she was bored. And my dad thought it was a shitty version of Hollow Man.

I'm not saying anything that isn't implied in the trailers but I'm just going to spoiler-tag regardless just in case some people haven't watched the previews.

Spoiler

my sister said making it non-supernatural made it less scary (which she liked, cause she was afraid she wouldn't be able to sleep). She said it was good but not great (I think 7/10 she said), but she liked (and hated) how 'frustrating' the movie was in terms of it made you feel so bad for the protagonist because no one believes her. 

• Like 1

Just got back from seeing it. For the most part, it was appropriately tense and paranoiac, although there were some parts I found a bit silly. As far as whether or not this film will be a crowdpleaser, it’s certainly more accessible to a mainstream audience than the horror movies that A24 puts out, but probably not as much as the Conjuring and It movies. 

TIM is fantastic and Moss deserves all the awards. her acting is the best money shot in the movie and that's a compliment to effects cause they were done really well but Moss is just the queen. My only tiny complaint is that cop and his daughter were giga useless, literally there just to show that Moss has a good, compasisonate heart and can take care of herself and others. You could void them and get the same movie. But yeah, WOM should be stellar and ending.is.so.damn.satisfying. :bravo:

also, restaurant for the win! Scene of the year so far. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

In the "Enjoyed it but a little underwhelmed" club. Perhaps a bit spoiled by A24 to exact tastes too much recently.

Well made and some excellent sequences, definitely a crowd pleaser.

Acting good across the board.

Surprised the number of scenes where the logic just falls to pieces though. Restaurant scene for instance doesn't stand up to any scrutiny. Might not matter though, depends on the individual viewer for stuff like that.

restaurant comment:

it serves the purpose of mega shock and also provides mirroring at the end where she takes him out the same way he took out Emily. which is why the ending is so satisfying. she literally uses his own trick on him, like, take that, bitch. Also, she gets Zeus. 

:cloud9:

As for laps of logic, I'd say that only the email to the sister was suspension of disbelief, that sister would so easily get mad without thinking "Ok, cecilia must be really messed up over everything that happened to send that, I gotta see if she's OK". It was just drama for the sake of drama but nothing I'd take against the movie. It didn't have anything that would make it fall apart retroactively unlike Us where twist about the government engineered "have nots" from the underground undermined the whole thing.

Edited by Valonqar

6 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

restaurant comment:

Hide contents

it serves the purpose of mega shock and also provides mirroring at the end where she takes him out the same way he took out Emily. which is why the ending is so satisfying. she literally uses his own trick on him, like, take that, bitch. Also, she gets Zeus. 

:cloud9:

As for laps of logic, I'd say that only the email to the sister was suspension of disbelief, that sister would so easily get mad without thinking "Ok, cecilia must be really messed up over everything that happened to send that, I gotta see if she's OK". It was just drama for the sake of drama but nothing I'd take against the movie. It didn't have anything that would make it fall apart retroactively unlike Us where twist about the government engineered "have nots" from the underground undermined the whole thing.

Yeah, I totally understand this and think it's thematically and structurally a big positive.

I'm also a little confused by anyone bagging the ending, which I thought was v good.

My comments pertain more to the physical logic/mechanics of certain scenes, including the restaurant, requiring a leap. All horror films do, of course, but there were just a few moments that pushed it given the generally gritty tone the film IMO.

Spoiler

Ie. Thats a very large and very crowded restaurant for a) a floating knife and b) to have no cameras. 

It's still a strong recommend for me. But I also had super high expectations.

Spoiler

And I'm very excited about the possibility of an Invisible Woman. Especially if it's about the slow corruption that such a power could bring.

I'm not sure that ending was really setting up Invisible Woman. She took the suit but the ending was very definitive in that she's starting a new life with Zeus and the baby, not really that she would keep using the suit. She could dispose of it for what we know. But yes, maybe they wanted to keep the door ajar for Dark Universe if they lift it off the ground at some point.

I can't believe that some people

think that the brother was TIM and Adrien innocent 

:hahaha::rofl: when it's clear from everything that Adrien set up his brother for the fall, made the suit (hello, he was the optics scientist) and why would brother have a motive to get Cecilia and Adrien back together? WTF?

Edited by Valonqar

2 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

I saw it.I liked it a lot.Moss deserves a nomination for this.Hell, maybe if it was a 2019 film she would be top-tier for me.chances are that she won’t get recognized for this.

She has two other films out this year that she could still get nominated for