WrathOfHan

DEADPOOL WEEKEND THREAD | Deadpool 152.193 actual. Daily breakdown on page 159

Fucking awesome.  And no 3D is the icing on top.

PLF screens at 465 repped 13% of Deadpool‘s FSS or $17.6M. That’s the biggest R-rated opening for the PLF format, knocking out its previous $8.7M high from American Sniper.

:o Crazy.  I'm guessing ~12% from IMAX (hopefully we get a number tomorrow, could be lower), so around 13.5 - 14.0M tickets sold through Sunday and with 155M, 15.5 - 16.0M tickets sold through Monday.  For perspective, with a 30% RealD share on top, the same amount of tickets would be the equivalent of ~150M for the 3-day and ~175M for the 4-day. :blink:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ThiagoMaia said:

If the estimate holds, Deadpool will have the 5th biggest Sunday ever!

Enviado de meu XT1097 usando Tapatalk

And thats the thing.... If....

However, Deadpool strikes me as the kind of film that would have seen a rather small (10-15%) drop on Sunday regardless due to the spillover effect (note other large openers, particularly that come as a surprise) since theaters weren't prepared for this level of business and didn't have enough shows or seats.

So with that in mind - it could come in even higher but we shall see! :)

15 minutes ago, boxofficeth said:

Paramount should not have released R rated Z2 on the same wknd as Deadpool. They were too lose badly. Given the bad WoM, this still would do easily 60+M if ot were released in the summer. Now I can't see it even outgross the original from 13.5 years ago.

If Zoolander 2 was really funny it could've got Dumb and Dumber To's OW and DOM gross. (Not that I'm saying Dumb and Dumber To was funny)

But it will be lucky to make half.

Just now, grey ghost said:

If Zoolander 2 was really funny it could've got Dumb and Dumber To's OW and DOM gross. (Not that I'm saying Dumb and Dumber To was funny)

But it will be lucky to make half.

All sequels to cultish comedies are flops, right ?

Deadpool having so much humor surely took away a lot of the audience from Zoolander. At least the adults. And those who were teens when Z1 released are well into adulthood now.

Edited by a2knet

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

So Deadpool having the third biggest OW for a non-sequel in history isn't more shocking than American Sniper's OW? 

Are completely sure about that?

Let's call it a tie. :jeb!:

Both are incredible and surprising success stories at the box office in their own right.

Deadpool will have sequels and a possible DPCU though.

:jeb!:

5 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Well, we say that now that DEADPOOL is a hit. Give Kitsch and the other 'cursed actors' good material, they could do well.

Maybe they could but it's not that likely considering how rare Reynold's comeback story is in Hollywood.

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

Both are incredible and surprising success stories at the box office in their own right.

Deadpool will have sequels and a possible DPCU though.

:jeb!:

So Deadpool is so big that the X-men Cinematic Universe will be named after him? :apocalypse:

Just now, grey ghost said:

Maybe they could but it's not that likely considering how rare Reynold's comeback story is in Hollywood.

It's rare because studios don't give these actors the chance. I think Jai Courtney will finally have his moment in SUICIDE SQUAD.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

So Deadpool having the third biggest OW for a non-sequel in history isn't more shocking than American Sniper's OW? 

To be fair, with that new 135m figure I guess it's pretty damn close. American Sniper had amazing legs though which made its run a complete shocker. CBMs tend to dominate OW's, war movies don't, they are rarely high grossing blockbusters either.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I actually think it's bigger. But many will disagree. 

• Like 2