WrathOfHan

DEADPOOL WEEKEND THREAD | Deadpool 152.193 actual. Daily breakdown on page 159

39 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Bom has 13.9 for the 3 day and only +9.7% for sunday.... 

Yea, slightly less than a 45% jump on Sunday.  Why the hell would they ever think it would jump 45% on sunday?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, jandrew said:

Not sure why everyone is shocked about Passion. It was a mainstream movie about Jesus Christ after all that hit the right amount of WOM, controversy, and Mel.

Quick name another film about God that made more than 100 million.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, drakeyuuhi said:

Tim Miller has hinted to adding Laura Kinney aka X-23, and there have been some hints that Olivia Munn’s Psylocke could make a crossover.

So if he gets his way, she will be in it. Plus the great x-23. Man that be great

When did Tim mention X23?

could you post the interview?

26 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Quick name another film about God that made more than 100 million.  

See there you go: its JESUS CHRIST, not God. Everything we get today (Gods not Dead, Heaven For Real, War Room, etc) is niche Christian and is mainly about having faith. (Even then Heaven still pulled $91M, and the other two showed great staying power). Passion was not that. It was a biblical epic that had everyone curious, from diehard evangelicals to atheists. Passion was a 2000's decade version of 10 Commandments or Ben Hur that showed that the last few hours element in a way we hadnt seen, plus the controversy and Mel's name, made it must see. The release date was also perfect, and it didnt hurt that 2004 was one of the strongest years ever.

Mainstream movies about/dealing with God are usually made as comedy. Oh, God, Bruce Almighty, Michael, etc, and others like Noah and Exodus failed to their potential for obvious reasons. 

It may have been shocking back in 2004, but reflecting on the grosses now, its not really. Passion was a generational movie. Not in 2016.

Edited by jandrew
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, jandrew said:

It may have been shocking back in 2004, but reflecting on the grosses now, its not really. Passion was a generatiomal movie, its not shocking. Not in 2016.

I feel it's hard to say something's not shocking in retrospect. You can look back on almost anything well after the fact and say, "Oh, of course that succeeded." 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, narniadis said:

@Baumer sorry for the extra quote. Stupid editing on mobile.

Anyways I posted yesterday that the projected +45% allowed them to say it opened higher than the first. Nothing more.

Believe me I understand why they did what they did, but it was such a ridiculous Sunday increase that anyone could see through it.

• Like 2

Passion's gross is and was shocking.  

It's a film about torture

It's a film about religion

It's a film that is hard to watch

You can't simply say that because of factor A and factor B and so on that it's not shocking.  Nothing like it before or after has ever succeeded on that level.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, jandrew said:

See there you go: its JESUS CHRIST, not God. Everything we get today (Gods not Dead, Heaven For Real, War Room, etc) is niche Christian and is mainly about having faith. (Even then Heaven still pulled $91M, and the other two showed great staying power). Passion was not that. It was a biblical epic that had everyone curious, from diehard evangelicals to atheists. Passion was a 2000's decade version of 10 Commandments or Ben Hur that showed that the last few hours element in a way we hadnt seen, plus the controversy and Mel's name, made it must see. The release date was also perfect, and it didnt hurt that 2004 was one of the strongest years ever.

Mainstream movies about/dealing with God are usually made as comedy. Oh, God, Bruce Almighty, Michael, etc, and others like Noah and Exodus failed to their potential for obvious reasons. 

It may have been shocking back in 2004, but reflecting on the grosses now, its not really. Passion was a generational movie. Not in 2016.

Name another film about JESUS CHRIST that made over 100 million dollars.  Don't quibble with me @jandrew.  And you say that Noah and Exodus failed for "obvious reasons".  Really?  Apparently they aren't that obvious because nothing has duplicated Passion's success since.

1 minute ago, Baumer said:

Passion's gross is and was shocking.  

It's a film about torture

It's a film about religion

It's a film that is hard to watch

You can't simply say that because of factor A and factor B and so on that it's not shocking.  Nothing like it before or after has ever succeeded on that level.

Which as we see actually helped it, ironically. Jesus Christ, the crucifixion, and the resurrection is something billions of people believe in, and we needed to see how Mel portrayed it. No no one was expecting that January 04 as it was a WOM hit, but Im sorry, in 2016 I think Passions gross makes sense.

Im not denying this is retrospect, because it is, but im not denying its a movie about JESUS afterall that was unparalleled, like you said. 

You guys can feel different, but thats how I personally feel. Sorry for turning my personal view into a broad statement. That is my mistake.