WrathOfHan

DEADPOOL WEEKEND THREAD | Deadpool 152.193 actual. Daily breakdown on page 159

Just now, The Futurist said:

So the word cult means different things in different countries.

Duly noted.

6x legs & a long wait between the first film and second doesn't prove there was a cult following that developed with the Matrix? I'm just confused why you don't agree the demand for the original grew & didn't diminish over time like is the case with most films.

Just now, filmlover said:

Lol The Matrix was not a cult classic. A cult classic is something like Zoolander (which obviously just saw its sequel bomb). It was a movie that really was rather revolutionary at the time and has become rightfully regarded as a classic.

that's not what cult means.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GiantCALBears said:

6x legs & a long wait between the first film and second doesn't prove there was a cult following that developed with the Matrix? I'm just confused why you don't agree the demand for the original grew & didn't diminish over time like is the case with most films.

Having great legs and great wom among GA is being a cult movie ?

I learned something today I guess.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TheIronDuck said:

Actually Deadpool is the first movie complete FOX-Men movie since the time line change and it officially has a new Universe designation so it's not a sequel even by that logic.

So is Apocalypse a prequel to Deadpool?  ;)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

A movie being big doesn't make a movie not cult. how can you call the star wars fanboys anything but cultish?

We're getting into something else there. I'm a MASSIVE Star Wars fan but my appreciation only extends to the movies (I haven't absorbed any of the books and whatnot that has also been produced). Not all fans are created equal, ya know.

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Lol The Matrix was not a cult classic. A cult classic is something like Zoolander (which obviously just saw its sequel bomb). It was a movie that really was rather revolutionary at the time and has become rightfully regarded as a classic.

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

Matrix was not a cult film. It was a blockbuster when released. 

Star Wars is a cult film

As is the Big Lebowski. Box office has nothing to do with cult status.

4 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

A movie being big doesn't make a movie not cult. how can you call the star wars fanboys anything but cultish?

I always assumed a cult thing was kinda of a secret known by a tiny group of people like an inner circle of people with good taste.

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Just now, John Marston said:

Matrix was not a cult film. It was a blockbuster when released. 

It's a matter of opinion, from the official Wikipedia page on cult films.

Blockbuster science fiction films that include philosophical subtexts, such as The Matrix, allow cult film fans to enjoy them on a higher level than the mainstream.[87]:445 Star Wars, with its large cult following in geek subculture, has been cited as both a cult blockbuster[100] or a cult film.[13]Although a mainstream epic, Star Warshas provided its fans with a spirituality and culture outside of the mainstream.[101]

3 minutes ago, TheIronDuck said:

As weird as it sounds Technically Yes it is.

You're right...it's weird.   Let's see how long it takes to tie up those timelines - there's still a 30 year gap to fill between those movies. 

3 minutes ago, langer said:

So we're back to talking about cults?  Didn't we had enough with the Passion and Bruce Almighty talks?

At least we're not talking about The Following (kudos to poor Kevin Bacon for trudging through 3 whole seasons of that crap).

11 minutes ago, Orestes said:

Star Wars and The Matrix are cult movies? Is it opposite day and nobody told me?

cult
kʌlt/
noun
  1. 1.
    a system of religious veneration and devotion directed towards a particular figure or object.
    "the cult of St Olaf"
  2. 2.
    a person or thing that is popular or fashionable among a particular group or section of society.
    "the series has become a bit of a cult in the UK"

you're right i can't see star wars in there at all.

• Like 1