Grade It:  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Grade It:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Really good movie! Really enjoyed the cast Ryan Reynolds kicks ass! Lots of good humor and funny references. The soundtrack is great! Enjoyed the characters really good movie my favorite movie of this year(along with Dirty Grandpa). Grade:B+(89)/A-(90). 

Deadpool is one of the most fun movies in a quite some time. Not every joke hits, but the ones that do are uproariously funny. It's a fine line between a straightforward superhero movie and a spoof, and Deadpool rides that line in a really intriguing way. The plot may be generic, but who cares? We're watching for Deadpool, and this introduces that character perfectly. The action is more a mixed bag. Sometimes it's really easy to follow and just exhilarating, but it also can be a poorly cut mishmash of scenes. The debut direction is a bit obvious at points, but there are moments of true inspiration.

The cast is fantastic. TJ Miller and Morena Baccarin are both great unpowered supporting roles, the former being good comic relief in a DEADPOOL movie and the latter being a big reason this has the best love story in a superhero movie since the first Captain America film. The two X-Men who make appearances are also excellent, and although the movie doesn't need them, it justifies the entire cinematic universe for the sheer humor it adds in a meta way. Meta humor always works for this particular viewer, and Deadpool owns that in spades. A lot of the material comes from Ryan Reynolds' career, who is perfect as Deadpool. He's legitimately one of the most perfect castings for a comic book character, up there with Robert Downey Jr. and J.K. Simmons.

Deadpool works best when it's making fun of itself, but that's a disservice to how well it works as a comedy. Hopefully the inevitable Deadpool 2 amps up the action (and budget), but if that's at the cost of the fun character work and the hilarious cast shining brightly, I'd be fine with another outing like this. Deadpool is the best comic book movie since Guardians of the Galaxy, and an shockingly enjoyable romp. B

• Like 4

19 hours ago, CJohn said:

The Taken joke had me in stitches.

"Omg honey it is nothing, I just had a nightmare I kidnapped Liam Neeson's daughter and he would come for me"

And then he goes to bed and he is like "Can you believe they made 3 of those? I mean, by the third one people would realize maybe he is just a bad parent :lol: "

I seriously must have zoned out during that joke or something...how could I not remember that?

• Like 1

Mildly liked it. That's about it. The movie is a series of pop culture references. Some I liked, others I did not care for.

Francis, is a one note villain. Action is good. The story is so simple, it could have been completed in one hour.  Morena Baccarin looks good. Anyway happy for Ryan Reynolds.

Rating: B

Edited by jb007
  • Like 1

From the opening credits/scene, Deadpool is hilarious, profane, super violent, with a touch of heart. Reynolds is fantastic in a career-defining role. Jokes hit a lot more than they miss. I was actually invested in the story. And while it is essentially the movie it is making fun of, it always is winking at the audience. Plus, it didn't overstay it's welcome, keeping the pace crisp throughout (thankfully). Only real criticism is the lack of material for some real funny supporting characters. Other than that, the movie does almost everything at an above average level. Props to everyone involved in making this, especially Reynolds, who again, absolutely kills it.

7/10

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Baumer said:

I seriously must have zoned out during that joke or something...how could I not remember that?

Idk man, the scene is not even a blink and you will miss kind of thing. 

• Like 2

Gonna copy and paste what I said in the Weekend thread because I'm lazy:

Funniest movie I've seen in quite a while. The lines hit about 85% of the time.

Ryan Reynolds is going to play this role longer than Hugh has played Wolverine. 

TJ Miller was great but underused;ight have had the best line in the movie though.

Action was serviceable. 

Ajax was a cookie cutter villain, as was the story. Those are my biggest issues with the movie, otherwise I had a blast. 9/10

Best lines:

The Mama June and Jared lines

"I'd go with you, but I don't want to go."

"Wanna get fucked?"

• Like 4

It was a movie about Deadpool

It was exactly what I expected of a movie about Deadpool

and the opening credits and the after credits scene were just icing on the cake.

So yeah it was amazing especially going to the midnight release near me with 3 people dressed as Deadpool.

I liked it. Not a masterpiece but a damn fun movie to see. Reynolds carries the film like a champ.

You can tell Reynolds is super passionate about the character. It must have been so shitty having to play him in Origins knowing how the character is supposed to be done.

• Like 2

I'm not going to write a review, but here's what I loved about it....and I really need to see it again because I'm sure there is tons of stuff I'm missing:

The opening credits reeled me in instantly.  META for sure but so brilliant.  Directed by some over paid douche...written by some really cool guys.  so brilliant.

Ryan Reynolds has always been one of my favourites.  Deadpool was meant for him but he has played this kind of character in many films.  He nails it here.

I loved that his uniform creation and cultivation is similar to Spiderman's...he even has the colour red problem at the laundromat just like Spidey did in the first one.

It's a beautiful love story, two misfits who try to one up each other by making their life story that much more tragic...they just fit. 

Even though I missed the Taken joke, it's brilliant

Breaking the fourth wall was not only brilliant but ripping on other Marvel properties was incredible.  This might even be one of the ballsiest moves any studio has ever done.  To make fun of yourselves really isn't all that smart and yet the fact that they do is brilliant.  There are so many X-men jokes in here that you'd think a rival studio produced it.  But nope, they let it rip.  Timelines, actors, accents, it's all fair game.  

The Regina Saskatchewan rhymes with vagina joke was pure genius.

The match in the mouth and Deadpool asking her if she is just a really big Stallone fan.  This one is out of left field.  A quick Cobra referenced, not everyone got it, but for those of us who did, gales of laughter.

"Cue the music" before the three of them go to final fight.

The scenes with the cab driver

Looks aren't everything...yes they are.

The sexiest man alive stuff.

Colossus was pretty awesome

I'm not even sure if this was a nod to Better off Dead, but it kind of looks like it when Deadpool cuts off his own hand, falls into the back of a truck and gets away, that is very similar to when Lane Meyer tries to kill himself in BOD.

The Ferris Bueller ending was perfect.

TJ Miller and his improv, his delivery of his lines is terrific.

Deadpool is all kinds of awesome. 

• Like 4

B-

Instantly overrated it seems. Best bits in trailer. Too many references that were unable to cross over. Villain was cookie cutter. Love interest story fell apart at the end to all kinds of generic. Played to formula more than it made fun of such. 

Best thing is of course Reynolds and his schtick, but they really need to get a better director next time out. Action was pretty terribly generic. 

16 minutes ago, BK007 said:

B-

Instantly overrated it seems. Best bits in trailer. Too many references that were unable to cross over. Villain was cookie cutter. Love interest story fell apart at the end to all kinds of generic. Played to formula more than it made fun of such. 

Best thing is of course Reynolds and his schtick, but they really need to get a better director next time out. Action was pretty terribly generic. 

My god.....:blink:

First you found Force Awakens overrated, now this? What's going on here..... Did recent movies turn you off? What did you expect?

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34
  • Like 5