1. 1. Grade It:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

1 hour ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

My god.....:blink:

First you found Force Awakens overrated, now this? What's going on here..... Did recent movies turn you off? What did you expect?

Deadpool was actually disappointing in comparison to expectations.

I never was truly anticipating Star Wars and if someone like myself, who's only really watched the saga once, (and who only likes ANH all that much) can feel that the movie was something I'd seen before, plot point by plot point, then there's something wrong with the movie. Fan servicing is well and good and if you can milk a billion out of them, why change formula? But, it's far from deserving of the praise. In that sense, why would anyone badmouth Transformers, or Fantastic Four or Alvin and the Chipmunks and such. TFA was following its own franchise formula, just like the rest of those, and most franchises. Should that be worthy of universal praise? No. 

On 2/14/2016 at 5:01 AM, jb007 said:

Francis, is a one note villain. Action is good. The story is so simple, it could have been completed in one hour.

So like the majority Marvel villains?

I just saw it and liked enough. Plenty of fun though I wasn't as invested in the story as some. However, it is the perfect role for Reynolds and certainly Morena Baccarin is gorgeous. I don't think it's fantastic and far from the best comic book movie as some suggest, but I'll see it again (on Blu-ray).

***¾/*****, (B+, 7.6/10, 3/4)

• Like 1

C/+? (76%)

I liked it. Some parts were hot. Wasn't necessarily moved by anything, but it was a fun film. I laughed at many jokes, and I loved the "Negasonic Teenage Warhead" character. :rofl:

Pros:

Colossus and his personality is so cute. Lmfao I loved how he stopped fighting to tell Angel that her tit was hanging out. :rofl:

Ryan Reynolds' PENIS.

Stan Lee cameo was hilarious.

Action scenes were great. 

Breaking the fourth wall- great.

Vanessa STABBING AJAX when Deadpool had a knife in his head and couldn't do anything. Slay, queen.

Etc.

Cons:

It felt too fast. I don't know. I wanted the movie to be a little longer. Eh.

Nothing was particularly "spectacular" or surprising of some sort. (If you take out the fourth-wall breaking thing.)

I particularly agree with one critic's consensus: 

"Deadpool is, on the whole, a big bowl of fun filled with great stunts, gory fight scenes, and sexy poses."

Spoiler

Plus a big bonus for the peen. ^_^ Hopefully there's more in DP2. 

I'll be here for the sequel. 

Edited by angeldelmito

7 hours ago, TheMovieman said:

So like the majority Marvel villains?

Sounds right. But he ranks at the bottom of the Marvel villains.

He pales in comparison to  Loki, Magneto (at least from the first 3 Xmen), Sabretooth, Stryker etc.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jb007 said:

Sounds right. But he ranks at the bottom of the Marvel villains.

He pales in comparison to  Loki, Magneto (at least from the first 3 Xmen), Sabretooth, Stryker etc.

The only one that comes close to being a kick ass villain is Magneto but that was going 16 years ago. Sabretooth and Stryker to me are minor, the former especially hasn't been utilized fully. Of the latest crop, Ultron had some potential but never quite did it for me and they mucked it up with The Mandarin, turning him into a needless plot twist and someone utterly generic in Iron Man 3 (a movie I should note I despise).

As for Loki, never was a fan of his. Seemed like he was Zod-lite (Superman II Zod) than any major threat. Whiny brat TBH.

• Like 1

A+ from me. One of my favorite SH films ever. Better than every Spidey film save the first two, better than every X-Film other than X2 and DOFP and better than every Batman film except BB and TDK. Oh and better than ALL of the MCU films save Winter Soldier and GOTG(And I liked them all).

Personally, I find him sexier than a guy whose name rhymes with "Poolverine".

And to the elitists who hate on this film without even seeing it...

giphy.gif

<Insert Deadpool smiley here(Yeah we need one)>

• Like 5

BK007 and Lisa are kindred spirits.  Give them a movie about fungus and spores growing in Perestoika post cold war Russia and they will cream themselves.  Anything that is crowd pleasing to the rest of us and it's boring and stupid.

• Like 6

17 hours ago, BK007 said:

B-

Instantly overrated it seems. Best bits in trailer. Too many references that were unable to cross over. Villain was cookie cutter. Love interest story fell apart at the end to all kinds of generic. Played to formula more than it made fun of such. 

Best thing is of course Reynolds and his schtick, but they really need to get a better director next time out. Action was pretty terribly generic. 

post-15432-OK-now-let-s-get-an-answer-fr

Finally saw it a second time and liked it even more the second time.  I didn't get the visual joke the first time when Deadpool uses the dead bodies to spell out Francis.  I also laughed more at the joke about Ryan Reynolds not getting by on his acting alone.  

This is one of the most enjoyable films I've ever seen and imo, it's up there with TDK and Avengers as the best super hero film ever made.

• Like 5

The movie was awesome. Much fun and the humor was nonstop.   Not what I was expecting at all. The "Fox cant do shit" narrative just got kicked in the throat (again). 

I also like the narrative style. Reminds me of City of God (sooo good). Soundtrack was good, i loved the easter eggs, and the characters all had their own, unapologetic style. The opening credits were genius. Did a good job of getting you ready for what was to come.

Audience emjoyed it. Hopefully this will hold up on home release.

Edited by jandrew
  • Like 3

I liked the villain more than most it seems. Wasn't memorable and was one note, but he was charismatic and got the job done, and more importantly, wasn't overstretched. The film never tried to sell him as anything more than an evil fuck that Deadpool wants to kill, and he filled that role well. The movie relied on Deadpool himself, his character arc, and his relationship with Vanessa to such a degree that there wasn't a hole that could've been filled by a more interesting villain. I'd call that the key issue with the MCU's non-Loki villains--in addition to being derivative, they're far more central to their films' conflicts that their weaknesses are of much more detriment to the movie. Deadpool (and Guardians, albeit to a lesser extent) avoid that because the central conflict to the plot is an internal one among protagonist(s), where in The First Avenger or The Dark World, the conflict is the protagonist(s) vs the antagonist, so when the villain is one-note or forgettable, he's failing to hold up his end of the bargain where Ajax isn't. Deadpool's goal isn't to destroy Ajax to prevent him from ending the world, it's a hybrid of a simple revenge story and his desire to have his skin cured so he can have his life back (which, as Ajax said, was pure self-delusion on DP's part).

The thing is, Deadpool's a radically different character than any Marvel's adapted to film before, so certain elements are going to have to be completely different to follow suit, and it makes comparing said elements an empty gesture. Deadpool, post-experiment, is a tragic character--insecure, self-loathing, nihilistic, selfish, cursed with immortality in a life he doesn't want. His love for Vanessa is the only thing he has to live for, and he's too afraid that she won't want him to embrace it. The role of a villain in this story is to exploit that conflict and progress it to create the drama, not to be the conflict himself. The movie successfully hits all these beats--the love story is engaging, Wilson's transformation into Deadpool is unsettling, Deadpool's position is sympathetic, and Francis is a solid, believable bad guy. He certainly isn't going to stand out at all in a crowd of superhero villains, but by the titular character's very nature, Deadpool has never been marketed on strong, cool villains like every other major superhero property. I don't imagine Deadpool 2 or any afterward are going to be any different. Where the key hurdle in most superhero franchises is finding a strong villain/scenario for the hero to overcome, for Deadpool it's going to be keeping Deadpool busy with engaging conflicts independent of whoever the villain ends up being. The introduction/growth of major secondary characters like Cable, X-Men crossovers, and Vanessa eventually becoming Copycat are a good start to that.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Hangman said:

I think I would have enjoyed Deadpool more if they hadn't basically  shown the entire movie in the trailers.

They showed all 120 minutes of the film in the the minute trailer?  That's interesting.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Baumer said:

They showed all 120 minutes of the film in the the minute trailer?  That's interesting.

well they also showed a cat scene that I don't think was in the film so they actually showed more than the whole movie in the trailer :P