76 members have voted

1. 1. Grade It:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

49 minutes ago, Baumer said:

They showed all 120 minutes of the film in the the minute trailer?  That's interesting.

They didn't show 120 minutes of the film in the trailer, but they showed the best bits... that doesn't leave much to work with.

• Like 1

I had a blast watching this in theaters today. Sex, ultra violence, profanity and toilet humor makes this film an immoral guilty pleasure. My important advice is do not bring children to see this movie. There were some kids with parents in the theater that made the viewing experience very awkward. B+

On 2/16/2016 at 11:22 PM, Baumer said:

Finally saw it a second time and liked it even more the second time.  I didn't get the visual joke the first time when Deadpool uses the dead bodies to spell out Francis.  I also laughed more at the joke about Ryan Reynolds not getting by on his acting alone.  

This is one of the most enjoyable films I've ever seen and imo, it's up there with TDK and Avengers as the best super hero film ever made.

Did you catch the Taken joke this time around?

• Like 1

Weird, I really don't have any complaints about this movie.  It was incredibly funny, entertaining, and absolutely everything that this movie needed to be.  It doesn't go overboard or under board, it's honestly as good of a Deadpool movie as we were going to get.  

The humor, action, and drama are balanced at the right level (obviously with the meta-humor taking precedent), and there isn't a moment in the film where I became uninterested. It balances the flashbacks and forward moments perfectly, and every side character gets just enough time to shine but not enough to become annoying.

For some reason, despite not having a single grievance against the film, I can't get my grade up to an A+, I just didn't love it enough for that.  But I still found the film great and would watch it again, it's everything a Deadpool movie should be.

A

• Like 3

For me, the genre was reaching a place where the art form was getting so formulated with depressing depictions of heroes in similar, over-stylized rubbers suits,(all taking turns offering a thousand yard stare), it was in dire need for something new. Some of that fatigue was coming from segments of the base that constantly complained about treatment discrepancies and how some heroes lacked that code of morality that made them "special". All of this occurring while the industry drowned in squeamishly horrible movie toy lines that only seem to promote the idea that no one making the merchandise was thinking about anyone over the age of five.

So it was with much surprise and incredible fortune that my son talked me into a first weekend showing for this movie about Deadpool that honestly I knew next to nothing about (outside of his lose affiliation with the X-men). I sat there in utter amazement as this movie unfolded and offered me a completely engaging, yet impossibly hilarious, plot that seem to make it it's business to dissimulate every staple rule of comic book movies and turn it on it's head with only one thought that essentially said, " There are no rules here." No sacred cows were spared including the talent behind these films.

And yet, the film still managed to offer an incredibly fast paced, fully engaged story that got the viewer invested in these characters. So in a way the movie was not only lampooning every aspect of the genre it existed in, but still found a way to keep it's own relevance intact while sliding on the same rails of action that make these movies entertaining to see on the big screen. A nonstop contradiction that finds a wonderful reasoning that allows the viewer to laugh hard no matter how violent, irresponsible, or immoral the acts are by it's star hero. It's a welcome relief to the stuffy and often cheesy morality code that often challenges the disbelief factor we all have to take into most superhero films to reason the motivations of these larger-than-life characters. With Deadpool it's easy to see why he does what he does. It's because we all want to do EXACTLY what he's doing. It's one long gratification trip designed to reward you with total satisfaction regarding every lowlife that dares cross paths with this hero. Now THERE is a good time we don't have to swallow hard to accept.  And not one damn movie toy needed to celebrate that wonderful feeling. Perfect.

• Like 2

On Thursday, February 18, 2016 at 3:00 PM, ChD said:

They didn't show 120 minutes of the film in the trailer, but they showed the best bits... that doesn't leave much to work with.

Guess we saw different movies then. 

• Like 1

I went with the lowest expectations someone could muster for a film and I was surprised.... by how much worse it actually was. In all honesty, I would say it's pretty hard to name one single redeeming quality. 

The romance in the begining wasn't horrible, I guess.

Everytime I think of the 0 stakes, the garbage filmmaking or Ryan *charismavoid* Reynolds and his "self awareness" and witty lines, the film gets a little worse.

As I said in the convo thread, it's like a Transporter film made by Marvel Studios.

15/100

Edited by Goffe

1 hour ago, Jay Beezy said:

Depends on the kind of chance you gave it. I find it dubious that you might have been willing to give it a passing grade and that you didn't plan to fail it regardless.

I'm not that kind of person. I went with an open mind. If anything, Deadpool benefited from my extremely low expectations. 

Hell, I initially gave most Marvel movies a passing grade despite hating the way Marvel does movies. I will admit when a movie surprises me, you can be sure of that.

I laughed a total of 3 times during Deadpool, only 3, in a movie that practically every line of dialogue is a joke. That's how bad the experience was for me.

On 16 februari 2016 at 0:07 PM, Baumer said:

BK007 and Lisa are kindred spirits.  Give them a movie about fungus and spores growing in Perestoika post cold war Russia and they will cream themselves.  Anything that is crowd pleasing to the rest of us and it's boring and stupid.

I assume BK007 only cares about movies that HE wants them to offer him.

I mean, that BK007 does easily, EASILY gets disappointed by films everyone else likes. Because it didn't offer what he wanted to see.

I really don't get his tastes for movies, nowadays.

For all the talk regarding the freshness of the material, this is a film in dire need of some edge.  It may be more violent and contain more cursing, but once that novelty wears off, we are left with the same tired and recycled formula.  The most noteworthy aspect of this film to me is how similar it ultimately is to all the films it tries to ridicule and distance itself from.

R-rated comic cinema.  Infer from this what you will.

"You look like an avocado had sex with an older, more disgusting avocado."

Deadpool feels like it was built to reach the widest possible audience. It's a superhero origin story (bringing in those who aren't familiar with the character or superheroes in general), it features a lot of action (bringing in the fervent superhero fans), and it constantly mocks the genre (bringing in those who don't like or are tired of superheroes).

There are many good things about it. Tim Miller does an excellent job for a first-time director. The narration style is extremely original. And it's full of fantastic one-liners, making it work as a comedy just as well as an action movie.

There's one thing it's REALLY missing though: characters that aren't one-dimensional.

Wade is blatantly good. Ajax is blatantly evil. Colossus and Negasonic Teenage Warhead have no defining features outside of their powers. Vanessa, except for when she frees herself from the container near the end, is the stereotypical love interest. It's hard for me to actually relate to any of the characters when they're built like this.

Also, Ryan Reynolds is a bad actor. It doesn't matter if your movie actually references your lack of acting ability, you still suck.

55/100 - C+

Edited by department store basement