GiantCALBears

Weekend Thread (actuals)- Deadpool $56.47m, KFP3 $12.52m, Risen $11.8m, Witch $8.8m, HTBS $8.2m, Race $7.35m (pg 36)

On February 19, 2016 at 7:46 AM, Frozen said:

Mojo:

UPDATE #2: Thursday preview numbers have arrived and Sony's Risen took in $425,000 from showings that began at 7pm in 2,329 locations. Focus Features' Race brought in $205,000 from 1,800 theaters, which is similar to the $260,000 McFarland, USA brought in over the same weekend before opening with $11 million. 

Finally, The Witch brought in an impressive $630,000 from 1,600 domestic screens. The best comparison might be to Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension, which brought in $600,000 before pulling in $8 million from only 1,656 theaters during its opening weekend. Another comparison could be to Krampus, which brought in $637,000 from Thursday previews before opening with $16.2 million. Big difference between Krampus and The Witch, however, is Krampus was playing in almost 900 more theaters. With so many updates for The Witch this morning it's now starting to look like a weekend anywhere from $6-9 million is in the cards. We'll hopefully know much more tomorrow morning providing A24 sends Friday estimates as they have been prone to only delivering overall weekend estimates without sending dailies.

Edited by GiantCALBears
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Fantastic for The Witch with only online advertising.

This is the first time A24 have released something wide in it's first weekend isn't it?

I have seen plenty of tv spots for this too.  Not diminishing the number at all, just saying.  I had plans to see The Witch last night but they fell through so hopefully tomorrow morning I can catch it :) 

I'm glad to see a "little" horror film do well

Edited by 75live

my derby may be screwed again if Witch really breaks out and Risen comes on the low end... looks like I was about right on Race though so that might save me some...

However a very solid February we have had and hopefully that will continue on through the rest of the year.

Very surprising number for The Witch - didn't expect much with the tough period horror genre and unproven distributor in A24.  It could open to $10m+ this weekend.  I'm still leery of seeing it, though - huge horror fan but several reviews (even the positive ones) said it worked better with the Sundance crowd.

2 minutes ago, narniadis said:

my derby may be screwed again if Witch really breaks out and Risen comes on the low end... looks like I was about right on Race though so that might save me some...

However a very solid February we have had and hopefully that will continue on through the rest of the year.

Same, my 6M prediction for Race is going to pay off big time. I bought too much into early presales for Risen and predicted 25M :kitschjob: 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Same, my 6M prediction for Race is going to pay off big time. I bought too much into early presales for Risen and predicted 25M :kitschjob: 

Not that I'm pointing fingers or anything, but you are responsible for me going 100% in on Risen in Fantasy Box Office. 

/glares at WrathofHan

• Like 5

Holy shit, that's fantastic for The Witch. Race doing solid business too. Risen will be the Zoolander 2 of the weekend it seems... damn, this prediction thing is getting weirder by the day :lol:.

But yeah, The Witch tho. After so many years of seeing critically acclaimed horror movies not do excellent business (like It Follows or The Babadook) in favor of the shitty ones (like Ouija or the PA movies), it's refreshing to see this happen. If it ends up being the top grosser of the debutants and does well over $10M, it'll be the 2nd big time unexpected breakout of February, which is shaping up to being one of the most exciting box office months in years.