Kalo

Best Actor predictions-2016

On 1/5/2017 at 7:31 PM, Nova said:

I was just coming in to say that I just saw this after reading that online lol 

Never mind then. 

I think the spoiler will be Edgerton then and the other 4 I mentioned. I don't think Viggo is getting a nom. 

After seeing Loving, I agree, Edgerton deserves a nom for that, he is fantastic in it.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Spaghetti by the Sea said:

I'm starting to wonder if Reynolds could sneak past Mortensen. Kind of a big gamble, but stranger things have happened....

I'm thinking that as well. Captain Fantastic has massively underperformed at the guilds and missed places like ACE and WGA where it seemed like a good bet.

8 hours ago, Spaghetti by the Sea said:

I'm starting to wonder if Reynolds could sneak past Mortensen. Kind of a big gamble, but stranger things have happened....

I don't know. Besides the Globes, he hasn't gotten any noms so I feel like Mortensen will be in as a result. Or Edgerton will get that fifth spot. 

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

If Ryan Reynolds and Aaron Taylor-Johnson both get Oscar nominations this year: RIP BOT.

ATJ for me is a shoe in at this point. 

I don't see Reynolds getting in at all. No way. If Mortensen doesn't get it, that fifth spot is all Edgerton's imo. 

Edited by Nova

Could this be the first year since 1997 no real life winner wins? (I was thinking Fences was a true story for some reason, but it isn't)

Though in 2007 and 2008 it was thought no real life winner would happen but they did.

(Really hope to see a year where all Americans win acting again! Which I thought was going to happen last year, has not happened since 1997)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Impact said:

Could this be the first year since 1997 no real life winner wins? (I was thinking Fences was a true story for some reason, but it isn't)

Though in 2007 and 2008 it was thought no real life winner would happen but they did.

DDL's character in There Will Be Blood is a fictional character.

On 1/10/2017 at 11:23 PM, Nova said:

I don't know. Besides the Globes, he hasn't gotten any noms so I feel like Mortensen will be in as a result. Or Edgerton will get that fifth spot. 

ATJ for me is a shoe in at this point. 

I don't see Reynolds getting in at all. No way. If Mortensen doesn't get it, that fifth spot is all Edgerton's imo. 

I've never heard of Captain Fantastic until Viggo started to show up as a nominee. Is that an indie movie? 

I was also thinking of Reynolds pulling a Cooper, considering how well Deadpool is doing with the precursors (GG and Guilds), but the likelier candidate for such later surge is Taraji in Best Actress. That category is a mess as far as 5th spot goes (I guess Stone/Adams/Portman/Streep are solid) and Hidden Figures is peaking at the right time. So Taraji crashing the Benning/Huppert/Blunt/Streep/Nega party wouldn't be shocking, IMO. 

17 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I've never heard of Captain Fantastic until Viggo started to show up as a nominee. Is that an indie movie? 

I was also thinking of Reynolds pulling a Cooper, considering how well Deadpool is doing with the precursors (GG and Guilds), but the likelier candidate for such later surge is Taraji in Best Actress. That category is a mess as far as 5th spot goes (I guess Stone/Adams/Portman/Streep are solid) and Hidden Figures is peaking at the right time. So Taraji crashing the Benning/Huppert/Blunt/Streep/Nega party wouldn't be shocking, IMO. 

I'm all for Taraji getting in. Hidden Figures is peaking but I feel like it's a little too late if that makes sense. However if she got nominated it would be well deserved.

Blunt is a no for me. 

I have no idea what Captain Fantastic is (I found out it got released in the summer but for some reason I missed it) and I can see that the only part of it getting nominated is Viggo (unless I've missed it somewhere) so I'm guessing his performance is that strong in it. 

I still think Edgerton gets in over Viggo but the more I see Deadpool getting love from the guilds (it swept with the WGA, PGA and DGA although for first time director) the more I think Reynolds may have a shot. I'm only hesistant to jump on board because he's gotten one best actor nom and that was at the Globes (which means shit) but I'm one of the few on here who would not be shocked to see Reynolds and Deadpool in the major categories when the Oscar noms are announced. Just a hunch. I know the Academy doesn't like comic book films which is why Deadpool is perfect for them to nominate. Deadpool is making fun of the genre they loathe all the while not blowing a fortune. 

Edited by Nova

Another possibility for the 5th Actor spot: Jake Gyllenhaal. He made it in at BAFTA, so maybe he can make it here.

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

lol Blunt has less than 0% chance at the Oscar nom. Let's be real now. Maybe if people actually liked The Girl on the Train...

She made it at BAFTA and is starting to look like the alternative should Streep or Huppert get snubbed.

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Another possibility for the 5th Actor spot: Jake Gyllenhaal. He made it in at BAFTA, so maybe he can make it here.

She made it at BAFTA and is starting to look like the alternative should Streep or Huppert get snubbed.

Gyllenhaal had a showier part in Nightcrawler and that also gave him a BAFTA nod but nothing at the Oscars. And man oh man Huppert better not get a snub after how far she's managed to go this season. 

26 minutes ago, Nova said:

I'm all for Taraji getting in. Hidden Figures is peaking but I feel like it's a little too late if that makes sense. However if she got nominated it would be well deserved.

Blunt is a no for me. 

I have no idea what Captain Fantastic is (I found out it got released in the summer but for some reason I missed it) and I can see that the only part of it getting nominated is Viggo (unless I've missed it somewhere) so I'm guessing his performance is that strong in it. 

I still think Edgerton gets in over Viggo but the more I see Deadpool getting love from the guilds (it swept with the WGA, PGA and DGA although for first time director) the more I think Reynolds may have a shot. I'm only hesistant to jump on board because he's gotten one best actor nom and that was at the Globes (which means shit) but I'm one of the few on here who would not be shocked to see Reynolds and Deadpool in the major categories when the Oscar noms are announced. Just a hunch. I know the Academy doesn't like comic book films which is why Deadpool is perfect for them to nominate. Deadpool is making fun of the genre they loathe all the while not blowing a fortune. 

Reynolds nom would be totally deserved. Totally. 

Blunt's got SAG and BAFTA but Huppert's GG win (despite SAG and BAFTA snubs) gives her an edge. 

Streep snub would be divine. She won't win so it's another spot wasted on her, that a worthy actress could have taken. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Gyllenhaal had a showier part in Nightcrawler and that also gave him a BAFTA nod but nothing at the Oscars. And man oh man Huppert better not get a snub after how far she's managed to go this season. 

2014 was a lot more competitive though. The last two spots could have gone to Cooper, Carell, Fiennes, Gyllenhaal, or Oyelowo. This year, Mortensen is a super weak fifth.

Edited by WrathOfHan

27 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Reynolds nom would be totally deserved. Totally. 

Blunt's got SAG and BAFTA but Huppert's GG win (despite SAG and BAFTA snubs) gives her an edge. 

Streep snub would be divine. She won't win so it's another spot wasted on her, that a worthy actress could have taken. 

Streep shouldn't be nominated. I know folks love her but at this point in time she could fart into a mic and Hollywood would be like "OMG SHES GREAT!" 

Blunt did get a SAG and a BAFTA so she could sneak in there. I also think she might sneak in just because she's been in that sixth spot so many times so the Academy could finally reward her. I don't think she would deserve it for TGOT but she's been left when I thought she should get nominated. But I don't think now is the year to reward folks for the past. Not when there were a lot of great performances from actresses. 

22 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

2014 was a lot more competitive though. The last two spots could have gone to Cooper, Carell, Fiennes, Gyllenhaal, or Oyelowo. This year, Mortensen is a super weak fifth.

I agree with Jake getting a nom. I think that BAFTA nom really helped him. There are four locks imo Gosling, Affleck, Denzel and Andrew. The other spot can go to 4 possible guys in Jake, Viggo, Reynolds or Edgerton. If any one of those guys snuck in, it wouldn't be shocking to me and I think any of those 4 guys would deserve it. 

Edited by Nova

10 hours ago, Nova said:

one of the best performances in one of the best movies of the year , if you watch it you won't forget it for years to come 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BirdMan said:

one of the best performances in one of the best movies of the year , if you watch it you won't forget it for years to come 

I'll take a look at it this weekend. I've watched all the other performances so it's only fair that I watch it lol Thanks for the recommendation! 

16 hours ago, Nova said:

There are four locks imo Gosling, Affleck, Denzel and Andrew. The other spot can go to 4 possible guys in Jake, Viggo, Reynolds or Edgerton.

Viggo Mortensen got nominated for the Globes , BAFTA , SAG and 9 critic awards so his chances are about 90% , the others each got a random nom here or there 

• Like 2