Kalo

Best Actor predictions-2016

The controversy surrounding Affleck is a case that closed many years ago. That said, I'm guessing the pieces bringing up his past aren't helping. Nobody really wants to see someone with a douchy history succeed (which is mostly what led to that Washington over Crowe upset 15 years ago).

Just now, filmlover said:

The controversy surrounding Affleck is a case that closed many years ago. That said, I'm guessing the pieces bringing up his past aren't helping. Nobody really wants to see someone with a douchy history succeed (which is mostly what led to that Washington over Crowe upset 15 years ago).

How ironic that it might happen again :lol: 

i was suspicious of this because it seemed unlikely to me that the academy would award two very subtle performances in one year with casey and mahershala, one winning is hard enough. i thought supporting actor would be the one to surprise but that's looking pretty locked now.

mostly reminds me of 2008. mickey rourke winning a lot of critics awards as well as Globe and BAFTA but Sean Penn, even tho he won before, came in with baitier performance to win SAG and Oscar.

Was gonna say rourke's reputation hurt him like it will for affleck, but c'mon... he lost to sean penn.

• Like 5

It def turned into the first real Best Actor race since the Rourke-Penn. I feel like every Best Actor winner this decade pretty much swept everything and was never in doubt from very early on. I hope by some miracle Andrew Garfield wins at the BAFTAs to have 4 of them with one big award each. Denzel probably still wins in this scenario but it will be exciting.

Edited by Joel M

12 minutes ago, Joel M said:

It def turned into the first real Best Actor race since the Rourke-Penn. I feel like every Best Actor winner this decade pretty much swept everything and was never in doubt from very early on. I hope by some miracle Andrew Garfield wins at the BAFTAs to have 4 of them with one big award each. Denzel probably still wins in this scenario but it will be exciting.

I'm secretly kinda wishing Garfield wins so we can get some awkward pressroom pics with Stone afterwards.

• Like 1

I don't think Casey is winning the Oscar. I think the SAG awards in a way addressed the elephant in the room by not giving the award to Casey. I don't know if Denzel is a for sure lock either. I still think if Gosling or Garfield want it, they need to campaign for it and campaign hard and they could sneak in there. If I was a betting man though, my money is on Denzel.