Avatree

Tree's Thirty-Tree: The Best Films of 2015

I'm so frustrating about the accessibility of asian animations, you can't rent them on amazon instant. they are never on netflix and redbox scarcely has them. and I don't want to spend $20 on a movie I'm not even sure I will like, so I can hardly ever see them. 

On 3/15/2016 at 6:15 PM, Kalo said:

I'm so frustrating about the accessibility of asian animations, you can't rent them on amazon instant. they are never on netflix and redbox scarcely has them. and I don't want to spend $20 on a movie I'm not even sure I will like, so I can hardly ever see them. 

It is annoying that they don't get wide releases and they are always expensive on home viewing. But then, they play to a very niche audience, so it's understandable. 

The Gift

df4cd77e5cb344047146688285fb81d0.png

I think it's time for everyone to acknowledge that Joel Edgerton is a brilliant man. As his directorial debut, this is a terrific thriller that does what all great genre movies should do, subvert its genre's tropes and subvert the viewers' expectations. It seems straightforward at first but as its characters grow more and more morally dubious, your expectations of what the film should be doing get jumped upon and ravaged at every twist and turn. It's held together by three tremendous performances from Jason Bateman, Rebecca Hall and Edgerton himself, who balances terror and empathy and genuine sadness. It makes great use of sound and imagery, and it looks wonderful. It's a pure-bred thriller movie that doesn't rely on cheap tricks but on real, complex characters, to keep you on the edge of your seat. And that final shot...

• Like 1

I should probably maybe give an update on this thread, my computer with all the ranks and write ups on died and I cba to do it all again. When I fix the PC i will post the rest.

• Like 1