kayumanggi

THE ANGRY BIRDS MOVIE | 244.8 M overseas ● 352.3 M worldwide

From Mojo:

Ahead of its domestic release next weekend, Sony's The Angry Birds Movie landed in 74 markets this weekend and brought in $43 million. The film's international performance was led by $5.7 million in Russia followed by the UK ($3.0m), Germany ($2.9m), Mexico ($2.9m), Brazil ($2.7m), Spain ($2.1m), Australia ($2.0m), France ($1.9m), Peru ($1.4m) and Argentina ($1.4m). On top of its domestic release next weekend it will arrive in South Korea and China

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Quigley said:

Pffff... These numbers are disappointing to say the least. Embarassing too, probably. What a dud.

I see decent to good openings all around....not massive, but 175-200 OS could happen. What did you expect?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, picores said:

I see decent to good openings all around....not massive, but 175-200 OS could happen. What did you expect?

The studio made it sound like they had a billion-dollar movie on their hands. Besides this one of the most popular apps ever so if this struggles to reach $500M then you can imagine what others app adaptations might do. On the other hand, it might be Sony's fault. Literally any other movie studio could have probably made a better and more successful movie.

There is no way it will make $500 million WW with a $43 million/ 74 territories opening. $400 million is the best-case scenario with less than $300 million a possibility if it faceplants in the domestic market.

Deadline mentioned it opened over Lego movie in corresponding markets. With Japan, SK, China and US still to open I think $500 WW is possible. Not sure how popular the app was/is in Asia, thou.

53 minutes ago, Jason said:

I've come late to this thread, but this is a confusing 1st post...am I missing something?

I just posted that for comparison purposes since both animated films are from Sony.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JohnnyG99 said:

How much do you think the budget would be including marketing?

Around 200 mill. 

It should have no problem making a nice profit down the line

How much do you think the budget would be including marketing?

According to Finnish newspapers production budget was 65 million € and marketing/distributing budget over 100 million €. In another paper Rovio CEO mentioned that slightly over 300 million € WW is break-even for them.

On May 15, 2016 at 2:13 PM, Quigley said:

The studio made it sound like they had a billion-dollar movie on their hands. Besides this one of the most popular apps ever so if this struggles to reach $500M then you can imagine what others app adaptations might do. On the other hand, it might be Sony's fault. Literally any other movie studio could have probably made a better and more successful movie.

Calm down, Whatever this movie doesn't do has nothing to do with Sony being involved. 

Edited by DAJK