Impact

Best Supporting Actor predictions-2016

I think the problem is that aside from Ali and Bridges, everybody that's a contender in this category doesn't feel that strong. Shannon might get shut out if the Academy simply does not care at all for Nocturnal Animals (which, after seeing the movie, is highly possible), plus his role in the film is awfully similar to Bridges in Hell or High Water (it's the year of the Texas cop, apparently). The supporting actors in Fences might cancel each other out or make no impact. The Moonlight guys that aren't Ali aren't happening. Dev Patel in Lion seems like category fraud at its most blatant. Very, very few teenage males have ever received nominations, so the odds aren't exactly in Lucas Hedges' favor. Neeson's role in Silence could end up being nothing to get excited about.

Past snubs like Daniel Bruhl probably would've been a lock in this field.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I think the problem is that aside from Ali and Bridges, everybody that's a contender in this category doesn't feel that strong. Shannon might get shut out if the Academy simply does not care at all for Nocturnal Animals (which, after seeing the movie, is highly possible), plus his role in the film is awfully similar to Bridges in Hell or High Water (it's the year of the Texas cop, apparently). The supporting actors in Fences might cancel each other out or make no impact. The Moonlight guys that aren't Ali aren't happening. Dev Patel in Lion seems like category fraud at its most blatant. Very, very few teenage males have ever received nominations, so the odds aren't exactly in Lucas Hedges' favor. Neeson's role in Silence could end up being nothing to get excited about.

Past snubs like Daniel Bruhl probably would've been a lock in this field.

Under this scenario, John Goodman? :cloud9:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

He honestly really needs the critics to come to bat for him to happen (for 10 Cloverfield Lane, no one from Patriots' Day is going anywhere).

That and Paramount actually giving him a campaign worth a damn. Still would be a pretty damn long shot.

5 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

IDK if Ali will win if his role is as short as everyone says it is.

Nearly all of the actors' roles in Moonlight are short. I think they might want to focus on the actor who made the first impression.

Edited by cannastop

6 minutes ago, mahnamahna said:
  1. Jeff Bridges (Hell or High Water)
  2. Mahershala Ali (Moonlight) 
  3. Liam Nesson (Silence)
  4. Michael Shannon (Nocturnal Animals)
  5. J.K. Simmons (La La Land) 

JK Simmons has a very minor role in La La Land, he won't be getting nominated.

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

The reviews are coming in for Silence and it sounds like Neeson's role is definitely nothing to get excited about. So, who replaces him now? This category is so thin this year.

I know a Japanese actor from Silence was getting pretty good notices, but I guess one non-English speaker (Huppert) is enough for AMPAS

Just now, 4815162342 said:

I know a Japanese actor from Silence was getting pretty good notices, but I guess one non-English speaker (Huppert) is enough for AMPAS

Issey Ogata.

The category is so thin that being in a Best Picture nominee (which this most certainly will be) might be enough to push an unknown (in the US) actor in (and in the process, possibly becoming the movie's sole acting nomination, since I'm confident Garfield's getting in for Hacksaw instead).

Just now, MrPink said:

Would love to see Shannon make it in. Nocturnal Animals isn't fantastic, but Shannon was great throughout.

I'd like to see him make it in but I'm concerned that 1) the Academy just won't go for the movie at all and 2) his recent political statements will turn a significant portion of voters off.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

I'd like to see him make it in but I'm concerned that 1) the Academy just won't go for the movie at all and 2) his recent political statements will turn a significant portion of voters off.

Yeah the first piece is why I think he won't make it in, but since it's thin enough, perhaps.

4 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Is there any doubt that the Oscar is going to Mahershala Ali? I'm 95% certain he'll win.

I think it's a guarantee at this point. This category is so dead that for a while everyone had Liam Neeson as their default winner until everyone saw the movie and it became apparent he won't even be nominated.